Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: a dumb useless topic....  (Read 39209 times)
TheMechanicalHand
Bigger member

Cakes -1

Birdo

« on: August 14, 2007, 03:51:54 PM »

Ok, useless topic indeed, like to apologise about the caps crap very sorry Sad
i was very n00bie back in the day, indeedly

Once again sorry about the n00b act very sorry Sad

-Rudd

« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 02:24:29 AM by ☞..::≫®ΰĎď≪::..☜ » Logged

And in this moment Seconds stop and I burst with clarity, A wealth of love and hate gone blank For I finally remember my fucking name!! What do you want! i breathe wind, the clarity is gone, and my pulse is faint!
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 04:00:30 PM »

OK! NOW IVE GOT A REALLLY BIG PROBLEM AND IM ANNOYED! U SEE EVERY TIME I WILL CONNECT TO A SERVER DOES NOT MATTER WHAT PING NO MATTER WHAT! I ALWAYS GET "CONNECT iNTERRUPTED" AND IT WONT STOP DUE TO NOW I CANT PLAY MULTIPLAYER CAN U HELP ME OUT!
There are a few things you can try...
A) Do as described in the picture below. (note: that is indeed the CAPS LOCK)

B) set /cl_maxpackets, /rate and /snaps to suitable values
C) Check your Internet connection by pinging some ip like 64.233.183.104 a.k.a www.google.com

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

hyp3rfocus
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 04:20:34 PM »

A) Do as described in the picture below.

agreed.  :-)
bnks
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 04:35:05 PM »

burn all the ignorant newbs who refuse to turn off caps lock.
TheMechanicalHand
Bigger member

Cakes -1

Birdo

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 05:44:57 AM »

what does the CAPS LOCK have to do with this?

And in this moment Seconds stop and I burst with clarity, A wealth of love and hate gone blank For I finally remember my fucking name!! What do you want! i breathe wind, the clarity is gone, and my pulse is faint!
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 06:15:41 AM »

BECAUSE IT IS ANNOYING

hyp3rfocus
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 07:14:35 AM »

AND IT MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE A TARD
anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 08:29:29 AM »

Has somebody been calling me?
har.... never mind (do I feel like the start of a running-gag here ?)

(Ho, by the way, with no offence, I think you should have named this topic "connection interrupted problem" or something closer to the subject... anyway calling help is a good start)

I'll wear my badge, a vinyl sticker with big block letters adherent to my chest, tells to all your friends: "I am a visitor here, I am not permanent"
(The postal service "district sleeps alone tonight")
Promoted Mapper of the Century by some CPMA mid/high experienced player (luvyoalot, man)
<< ME >>
i claim to be leilol and i think every forum is a public and free speech venue

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 10:50:12 AM »

hi all..
The thing is, I guess RAAM is not a native english-speaker, I mean maybe he is from Latin America, Asia, etc.. so this is like I did in some time in an old post, 'cause CAPS are not sign of bad behaviour or offence to other people, is not such a big deal for us, and I know its wrong, cause I looked those links who everyone sent to me, but, ok let's tell other people not to use "CAPS" but without offences, "in some way we are noobs"..

<<ME>>

"uh.. FREE SPEECH?? does it make any sense to you??
Deleting posts and locking topics is just the same as banning"
w1zrd

Cakes 2

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 10:54:57 AM »

Forum etiquette - a.k.a known as common sense in most languages.

Certain rules of unspoken etiquette are recommended to be followed when using Internet forums. They include:

* One should read all the rules and guidelines established by the community. Some communities may have different regulations on a particular subject.
    * One should always be courteous to other forum members.
    * Before creating a new topic thread, one is advised to search to see if a similar topic already exists.
    * Contributors should follow standard grammar and spelling rules and avoid slang. Leetspeak is sometimes accepted.
    * If the forum is categorized, one should strive to post in the correct section.
    * When making a technical inquiry, one should include as much technical information as possible, especially in the subject line.
    * Contributors are asked to stay on-topic.
    * Contributors should avoid double posting and Crossposting.
    * To avoid appearing self-absorbed, one should respond to topics started by others more often than starting topics of one's own.
    * Contributors should avoid the use of all CAPITAL LETTERS in posts. ALL CAPS is considered "shouting" and causes readability issues.
    * One is advised not to resurrect a very old topic if nothing significant will be added. This practice is known as revival, bumping or Necroing.
    * One should try to refrain from lashing back at a poorly behaving member or participating in a flame war; instead, notify the messageboard's staff of the event.
    * When quoting a previous post, one should only include the relevant portion of that post. Contributors are requested to keep in mind that their audience can likely still see the message they are quoting on the same screen and can read it again if need be.
    * Signatures on forums should generally have a maximum height of 100 pixels, as to not cause clutter.

Kojiro_S
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

Har har har...

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 11:49:28 AM »

* When making a technical inquiry, one should include as much technical information as possible, especially in the subject line.

I would bold this one as well.

*ROOOAAAR*
TheMechanicalHand
Bigger member

Cakes -1

Birdo

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 03:54:47 PM »

what? so all u guys are saying that the CAPS LOCK causes the "Connection Interruupted"

hyp3rfocus
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 04:08:53 PM »

yes, it's god's way of punishing you.
anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 04:35:07 PM »

B) set /cl_maxpackets, /rate and /snaps to suitable values
C) Check your Internet connection by pinging some ip like 64.233.183.104 a.k.a www.google.com
Wink
(I don't know what suitable values actually are but.. well)

I'll wear my badge, a vinyl sticker with big block letters adherent to my chest, tells to all your friends: "I am a visitor here, I am not permanent"
(The postal service "district sleeps alone tonight")
Promoted Mapper of the Century by some CPMA mid/high experienced player (luvyoalot, man)
w1zrd

Cakes 2

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 10:01:39 PM »

what? so all u guys are saying that the CAPS LOCK causes the "Connection Interruupted"
I don't have the time/patience/will to educate you in the arts of irony so I will put it in a language that you might understand:

DON'T USE CAPS LOCK WHEN WRITING!
please!
Now, moving on...

1) Shut down other software programs like mIRC, MSN, IM and so on..
2) Disable your firewall/antivirus/spyware (preferably configure it properly).
3) Restart your router.
4) Kill the gremlin in your heatsink.
5) Buy a new 28.800 modem
6) If you have no idea about any of the about the above, try the following:

Use the console, type /cl_maxpackets 125 press enter. Type /snaps 40 press enter. Type /rate 25000 press enter. These are standard settings that should work for most clients on most servers. If you don't know how to activate the console, then look at the picture below. I believe that someone once said, quote: a picture tells a story of a thousand words.

SnooSnoo
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 01:39:09 AM »

Im a total n00b @forums, so to someone like me this caps rule is just common bs. How the heck can you shout with letters? And stead of helping the guy (who obviousley like me never heard of such a stupid rule) most of you comment the stupid caps. While the rules make sense, and indeed are common sense, the caps one doesent contribute at all to making quality discussions.

Please exuse my ignorance.
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 01:52:20 AM »

Im a total n00b @forums, so to someone like me this caps rule is just common bs. How the heck can you shout with letters?

I guess you haven't read many books then? Wink Where Caps is used to show shouting and aggression usually ending with a "!" for emphasis. Smiley

Can we get back to the main subject now? Smiley
SnooSnoo
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 01:59:09 AM »

Im a total n00b @forums, so to someone like me this caps rule is just common bs. How the heck can you shout with letters?

I guess you haven't read many books then? Wink Where Caps is used to show shouting and aggression usually ending with a "!" for emphasis. Smiley

Can we get back to the main subject now? Smiley

No, we can't! (I think '!' is enough to emphesize)
And btw, u guessed wrong. I'm not a native english speaker, but i read Tolkiens Ring trilogy, and The Hobbit in the original english vresion, and buu-huu Mr. Tolkien tought the '!' was enough emphasis. Thank you for guessing Smiley
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 02:01:02 AM by SnooSnoo » Logged
SnooSnoo
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2007, 02:06:16 AM »

OK! NOW IVE GOT A REALLLY BIG PROBLEM AND IM ANNOYED! U SEE EVERY TIME I WILL CONNECT TO A SERVER DOES NOT MATTER WHAT PING NO MATTER WHAT! I ALWAYS GET "CONNECT iNTERRUPTED" AND IT WONT STOP DUE TO NOW I CANT PLAY MULTIPLAYER CAN U HELP ME OUT!

Faulty cables and wires can cause a headache to. Aswell as a burned network interface card (like mine). Smiley
w1zrd

Cakes 2

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 07:35:28 AM »

I am going off-topic, but I'll try to be informative
The fact is that Internet is a place for all types of conversations/discussions and hence then language is also taking all kinds and forms. The idea with using so called Netiquette was formed well over 10 years ago and the intention was to try to use appropriate language throughout the Internet. Already back then the organisations responsible for building the Internet to a usable platform for the average user, realised what a problem it would be by using it without some form of rules and common standards, rules that most people consider common sense and hence they are not very often discussed.

Most people have heard about such things as spam, flame-wars and these are derived from the set of rules dating back to the early days of the Internet but in modern days society the English language, as well as many others, are being abused beyond recognition, in some cases people turn to the usage of l33t speak. We have bee educated in school to use proper grammar, why not take pride in using what we have learned?

I am not a native English speaker either, but I try to make myself understood in the easiest possible way since I know that I communicate with other non-native speakers, companies around the world, large organisations, individual youngsters as well as elderly people, what I do is simply to spend a few minutes to read through the text I have just written before I publish it for the world.

Did your school teacher want you to type with all capital letters when you were 8-years old?
- If she didn't let you then, why would you do it now?

If you wrote your Curriculum Vitae with all capital block letter, would your chances of getting a job be good?

Personally I do not find this sort of text very easy to read:

Code:
<Dregan> 3Y3 4M L33T H4X0R!!!
<Dregan> j0! 3Y3 4M T4KL!NG 2 j00!
<Dregan> FUX0r3D 5cr1pt K1DD13!!
<Dregan>    -"l33t h41ku"

If you wrote a book, a letter, a poem or any text, in any language, using that form of language, CAPS LOCK or not;
- it would be discarded immediately by most people.

Here is an interesting article written some years ago by the BBC.
More about standards and information about Netiquette, Internet standardisation and so on, can be found at these addresses:

IETF - ISOC - W3C - IANA

Call me an old stiff or whatnot simply because I enjoy proper language being used, English or not. Of course this forum and it's content is nothing as serious as a multi-lingual publication of the National Encyclopaedia, but again, there I would not have to read it's contents all in CAPS.

SnooSnoo
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2007, 07:46:16 AM »

Dear W1ZrD, the only reason I entered this discussion is because I know you (to some extent). And knowing you, I've been bothered by the way you replied to RAAM. In my humble opinion you should have answered the man's question first, and then, if needed, could have made those pointers about caps. I found it paradoxal that you mention etiquette, and the first thing you do is ridicule the man who simly could have forgotten the caps are on. Anyway, I'm having a bad day, so excuse my grumpyness.

P.S.
And the comment "burn noobs" just made me go berserk. We are alowed to be noobs at some point in our lives. I mean, nobody is born allknowing.
w1zrd

Cakes 2

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2007, 08:01:42 AM »

Dear W1ZrD, the only reason I entered this discussion is because I know you (to some extent). And knowing you, I've been bothered by the way you replied to RAAM. In my humble opinion you should have answered the man's question first, and then, if needed, could have made those pointers about caps. I found it paradoxal that you mention etiquette, and the first thing you do is ridicule the man who simly could have forgotten the caps are on. Anyway, I'm having a bad day, so excuse my grumpyness.

P.S.
And the comment "burn noobs" just made me go berserk. We are alowed to be noobs at some point in our lives. I mean, nobody is born allknowing.
Dear SnooSnoo,
The first few lines of text was a pointer to the poster in a non-harmful way of letting him/her know that he/she should try to avoid the usage of caps lock since many forum readers find it annoying. Of course I could have written:

Please do not use caps lock
Please do not use caps lock.
Please do not use caps lock!
Please do not use CAPS LOCK
Please do not use CAPS LOCK.
Please do not use CAPS LOCK!
Please refrain from using the button below your tab key
or
STOP USING CAPS LOCK FF* U UBER-l33T H4XXORRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

In retrospect it might have been better if I could had the post deleted due to some innuendo insinuations or if the forum administrators would have opposed to us having a discussion about im/proper language.

and FYI - I am Yoda and you are my biatch (<-- notice the spelling)

w1zrd

Cakes 2

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2007, 08:09:54 AM »

I would like to ask RAAAM if he actually solved his problem or not? What do u fr@ggots think? Smiley

Now I actually saw an even funnier thing - RAAAM + CAPS = <3
I assume that his keyboard is broken due to my visual improvisation of the above scenario and hopefully, maybe even regrettably, I crawl back in to my idle state.

SnooSnoo
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2007, 08:11:51 AM »

and FYI - I am Yoda and you are my biatch (<-- notice the spelling)

I will allow this! Tongue
w1zrd

Cakes 2

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2007, 08:28:19 AM »

Stop badgering the witness!

BADGER??? WHERE? PKAAAAA!

lol..way to go offtopic Cheesy
There is only one way to go off-topic, and that's in style.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: