Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crackly/Static Music Problem  (Read 13984 times)
Phoenixan
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: October 13, 2007, 12:22:50 PM »

I did a search and found that multiple people have had this problem; however, all of them have been using some version of Ubuntu.  I'm getting this problem on Windows XP SP2.

To further explain, the music in the game has static or crackle or something running over it, making it actually impossible to even listen to or understand, so I've been playing with my music volume all the way down as a temporary fix.  All of the other sounds are NOT effected in the least bit.  It's just the music.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Smiley

OA0.7.1
Windows XP SP2
Radeon 9600 Pro (256 mb)
1 Gb of RAM (2 512 sticks.. no idea what speed.. 2600 I think)
And I've got a nForce 1 or 2 sound card... not entirely sure which one since the drivers pop up for either on nVidia's site.
2.0 GHz AMD 2400+
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 02:37:49 PM »

Have you tried increasing s_khz to 44?
In the console:
Code:
/s_khz 44

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 02:47:08 PM »

if s_khz 44 sucks, try s_khz 48. that's the native sample rate for most audio chipsets s of that generation

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Phoenixan
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 01:56:11 AM »

It just keeps telling me "unknown command: s_khz" when I try that.  Sorry.  Sad

However, I did use s_info if you want the information it brings up about my sound card.

Thanks for the replies.

Also, I don't know if it'd really help much, but I used to have a similar problem in Rayman 3 for PC, but I fixed it by simply changing sound acceleration in DirectX Diagnostics from Full to Basic.  I tried messing with that again, and it still made no changes, but I'm guessing that's just because it doesn't really run through DirectX either, does it?

Is there any way to change my other sound settings for OpenGL or whatever in a similar fashion?  (Probably sounds like a stupid question.)

In addition, Quake 3 doesn't have this problem at all, when I ran it on here.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 02:07:46 AM by Phoenixan » Logged
yourself
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 12:15:03 PM »

Hi!

I've installed the new OA yesterday, since I wasn't able to play it on my computer for the last half year. I habe a new one now and I experience the same problem (i think).

I use OA 0.7.1 under Gentoo Linux with OpenAL 1.1, the HDA Intel ALSA Driver.

I would describe the sound as the original sound but played like 20 times slower. I tried a couple of things and one worked for me, but lead to a hang of the game.
When I started the artsd Sound Daemon under Linux and started the OA Binary with artsdsp the sound was ok (esd did not work). Sadly the game hung during a multiplayer match and i was  forced to kill it.
I also tried  the s_khz but it did not work or anything, the other sound switches had no effects too.
next_ghost
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 09:04:44 AM »

Try
Code:
/s_useOpenAL 0
/snd_restart
Phoenixan
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 02:06:48 PM »

Well, I can say it's improved.  I've been able to distinguish instruments now (i.e. guitars and drums), but it's still slightly "gargly," kind of like a 32kbps mp3.  It's also fixed other problems though, like before, I wasn't able to hear the noise of rockets zipping by my head when they narrowly missed me. Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 04:11:29 PM by Phoenixan » Logged
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 02:26:07 PM »

Well, I can say it's improved.  I've been able to distinguish instruments now (i.e. guitars and drums), but it's still slightly "gargly," kind of like a 32kbps mp3.  It's also fixed other problems though, like before, I wasn't able to hear the noise of rockets zipping by my head when they narrowly missed me. Cheesy
You can toggle the doppler effect on/off, actually you will get some extra FPS with this turned off as the rockets fly past you..

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

yourself
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 06:37:08 AM »

I upgraded to 2.6.23 and the problem went away.
yourself
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 07:08:05 AM »

I upgraded to 2.6.23 and the problem went away.
... and the kernel oopsed while halting the computer. Back to 22 ;-)
Phoenixan
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 01:58:52 PM »

You can toggle the doppler effect on/off, actually you will get some extra FPS with this turned off as the rockets fly past you..
But I like it that way. Sad It makes up for the bad-sounding music.

Actually, I have bloom turned on as well, and my FPS still hasn't dropped, even on my hardware.
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 01:59:54 AM »

Actually, I have bloom turned on as well, and my FPS still hasn't dropped, even on my hardware.
Then you are in luck my friend, on my system I get 1 FPS with bloom turned on Smiley

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 10:30:48 AM »

Then you are in luck my friend, on my system I get 1 FPS with bloom turned on Smiley

That's because our bloom sucks, this appears to be a better implementation, too bad it uses opengl 2.0.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: