Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: New binaries (ioquake SVN 1288) (updated 04-19), please test  (Read 71063 times)
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« on: April 05, 2008, 02:39:03 PM »

Ok, here are the new binaries based on ioquake3 SVN 1288 + bloom + oachanges + wav2ogg patch (like the 0.7.0 binaries) + security fixes + vm + sago's input fix

Binaries: http://ostenfeld.dk/~poul19/public_files/oabin-test-2008-04-19.zip
And the modified source (to comply with the GPL): http://ostenfeld.dk/~poul19/public_files/ioquake3svn1288plus3.tar.bz2

To test:
Simply copy the new binaries to your openarena-0.7.0 folder (they are fulle compatible with the 0.7.0 version although some of the new features will be missing)

Report back here if you think the new binaries are worse than the old ones.

About the new binaries
I would especially like to hear if any Windows users have problems with the new binaries as the Windows version is now based on SDL.
openAL is now loaded dynamically under Linux and will be disabled if not available (instead of crashing like the current version)

Stable (svn 1127)
Binaries: http://ostenfeld.dk/~poul19/public_files/ioquake1.34_svn1127_oa_test.zip
Source: http://ostenfeld.dk/~poul19/public_files/ioquake3stable.tar.bz2

VM files
http://ostenfeld.dk/~poul19/public_files/pak8_testvm3.pk3

About VM files
These removes the last references to UI references to CD key and punkbuster. They add new gametypes, optional instantgib and some other changes.
To install them simple place the pak8_testX.pk3 in the baseoa directory.

Edit 2008-04-19 3:37
Added new experimental binaries and source.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 07:38:03 PM by sago007 » Logged

There are nothing offending in my posts.
pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 08:13:17 PM »

ive tried the new binaries and i have to say im quite impressed so far. the levels in the game look a LOT better imo, unless my eyes are decieving me. the only problem i seem to have is the game feels like its stuttering sometimes, despite a steady 125fps. ill be fighting a few bots offline, and occasionally when i move the mouse it feels as if its "jerky" or something like a low/fluctuating framerate (i have a saitek gaming mouse, optical fyi).  its not enough to hurt my gameplay too much, as im just an average player anyway. ive tested with max settings @ 640x480 (my normal setup) and the lowest settings @ 640x480 with the same results. this doesnt happen with the release version.  i didnt try online yet.

im running in winxp pro sp2, probably going to test in kubuntu within a day or so when i get to booting into it. here are my relevant system specs in case it matters:

3.0Ghz intel pentium 4 (single core prescott)
1GB DDR400 ram
nvidia geforce 6200OC video card

other than the slightly downgraded performance, i'd have to say im happy enough to use them from now on. if you need to know more info (like variables and such) feel free to ask. if you know of any settings i should test/try feel free.

edit: after playing a few more offline rounds i managed to get it to crash. a few times while playing the client would seem to freeze every now and then for roughly a second then resume play as if nothing happened. its possible this could be due to the custom xfire configuration i made so xfire ingame works for open arena but im not sure. i dont have any debugging tools installed or anything so unfortunately thats the only data i have from the crash. im going to disable that now and report back if it happens again.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 08:38:33 PM by pikaunforgiven » Logged
aantipop
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 02:20:52 AM »

i replaced the openarena file in /usr/bin with the openarena.i386. if i run it i get this error:

[aantipop@blackbox bin]$ ./openarena.i386
ioq3+oa 1.35 linux-i386 Apr  5 2008
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
/home/aantipop/.openarena/baseoa/zl3tourney1.pk3 (112 files)
SNIP: list of all pk3 files
/home/aantipop/.openarena/baseoa/0ups_beta2a.pk3 (65 files)
/home/aantipop/.openarena/baseoa
./baseoa

----------------------
19052 files in pk3 files
Couldn't load default.cfg

EDIT
i i copied the pak0 to the baseoa in my home directory and got it workin, will test it now

EDIT2:
i tested it in windows xp and linux, both work fine for me.
however i get a red background and a strange terminal background, with a missing shader or texture:

« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 04:37:52 AM by aantipop » Logged
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 08:29:16 AM »

however i get a red background and a strange terminal background, with a missing shader or texture:
Looks strange. Did you only copy the pak0?

About the configurations that I'm interested in is mainly com_hunkmegs and r_bloom. I know that some maps will get a "memory allocation error" if bloom is enabled with the default hunkmegs. I'll try playing a little in Windows to see if I can spot some hangs.

pikaunforgiven's information about hangs despite a steady framerate does sound like the same problem I have whit Nexus. Unfortunately that can be SDL related...

Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 09:16:25 AM »

Using Debian here, on a notebook centrino 1.6ghz with geforce 5200.

I just copied the binaries in OA-0.7, my config files were reset but it happens sometimes and I don't mind.
I experience some freezes of a few seconds while playing, I only played online, It happens once every 5 minutes or so.
I think this is annoying, but I'm already annoyed by the temporary poor connection on which I play these days.
Maybe I didn't pay much attention, but I didn't see some improvements compared to the usual ioquake3 which comes with OA 0.7.

Todo: Walk the cat.
pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 09:20:25 AM »

i usually use a com_hunkmegs of 128, but i can try with the default settings. i noticed r_bloom is set to 0 by default, are the only options 0 and 1 or are there others?

i tested with the linux client just now and i dont experience any of the problems i had with the windows one, so it could indeed be SDL related. then again, for me the linux client always did seem to perform a bit better despite being on the same hardware as my windows xp install.

ive also disabled my xfire ingame hack, and so far havent crashed in windows both offline and online. most likely the crash was partially due to xfire ingame not expecting SDL since i was more or less using the same things it specifies for retail quake 3.

Cacatoes, what video settings are you using?  i only really notice if i have all of the texture settings turned all the way up with trilinear filtering. the freezes you experience sound similar to my freezes in windows, although admittingly i didnt really run the linux client for an extended period to see if they would develop.

edit: just tried setting r_bloom to 1 in windows, and it causes the client to be very slow even on the main menu.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 09:34:55 AM by pikaunforgiven » Logged
iLeft.bye

Cakes 1

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 10:14:07 AM »

I deny to use anything using sdl on windows
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 12:07:09 PM »

That wasn't extended tests, and not with my usual config as it has been scratched.
The freezes can be shorter than what I said.
I don't use specific settings, default ones.
I lowered much graphical details to speed things up, but had a bad framerate (did not reach a constant 125 as I usually do). I'll switch back to the old ioquake3 to see if I experience the same.

aantipop
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 03:23:11 PM »

Looks strange. Did you only copy the pak0?

nope i copied all pak's, then the "default.cfg" error was gone and i could run the game.
my config got reset too,  but i have a backup Smiley i will test with a clean openarena windows install soon, i just copied all my linux files over.

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 03:58:45 PM »

Stable files

Well to compare, here are the stable ioquake version including OA changes. It is missing the resolution detection, but should be at least as good as the current oa binary. If not it must be my who are bad at compiling (how much can go wrong?)

Binaries: http://ostenfeld.dk/~poul19/public_files/ioquake1.34_svn1127_oa_test.zip
Source: http://ostenfeld.dk/~poul19/public_files/ioquake3stable.tar.bz2

Game logic will follow soon...

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 04:11:15 PM »

I think I discovered why there are no background in the console...

fix pending

EDIT:
or so I thought...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 07:15:38 PM by sago007 » Logged

pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 07:03:17 PM »

with the stable one r_bloom still makes the windows client very slow (around 10fps compared to 125 with it off) and with the linux client the framerate is the same as it always has been (a steady 125fps) with no noticable graphics change.
both clients are using the same exact config.

mind enlightening us as to why the console graphics were broke? i didnt have the problem myself but it would be interesting to know how/why it happened to some.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 11:17:08 PM »

Menu and console isn't broken here.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 02:32:08 AM »

I confirm the freezing problem.
It does NOT happen with the stable binaries you just gave, and it DOES happen with the binaries you first gave (I switched back to these ones after having try the stable ones).
I didnt see a change in performance, maybe because my graphical details were quite low with almost no effect. It runs smoothly in both cases.
I had no issue with the menu either.
About the resolution detection, maybe I missed a point, but I'm not sure but the recent ioq3 helps me with that. I have usual choices, and some would be incorrect with my screen/card.

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 04:23:04 AM »

About the resolution detection, maybe I missed a point, but I'm not sure but the recent ioq3 helps me with that. I have usual choices, and some would be incorrect with my screen/card.

These also require new VM files, that I hope to be able to provide today.

Lemonzest
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 04:59:36 AM »

Both versions run fine here, getting around 300-400fps with r_bloom 1

Using a ATi Radeon X800XT with Catalyst version 8.3 on Windows Server 2003 R2 SP1

When you said you need to test new VM's does that mean the one with the server list colour sorting and mouse scrolling etc? that whould be great.  :cool:
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 06:41:26 AM »

When you said you need to test new VM's does that mean the one with the server list colour sorting and mouse scrolling etc? that whould be great.  :cool:

There are no mouse scrolling, but you can now use the numpad to type numbers.

Here are the new vm files (first test): http://ostenfeld.dk/~poul19/public_files/pak8_testvm1.pk3
Based on EliminationB17 but with GUI cleanups and all gameplay affecting CVARS disabled by default.

EDIT:
The arenas might not be displayed properly if you have pak7 in ~/.openarena
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 07:55:48 AM by sago007 » Logged

pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 10:51:43 AM »

anything we should look out for with the new vm's?  personally i dont really notice a difference ui or otherwise unless i did something wrong.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 11:16:48 AM »

anything we should look out for with the new vm's?  personally i dont really notice a difference ui or otherwise unless i did something wrong.

The changes are kept simple, so that they do not ruin the gameplay. It is options like this:

pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 12:03:57 PM »

ohh i see, thats why i didnt notice it. i just kinda tried a bit of offline story mode (i guess thats what you would call it) and a bit of online.
there any plans on implementing other options like sv_allowdownload, sv_rate and sv_fps for the server setup menu?  its sorta a pain to set them up manually at lan parties without a dedicated server config.  i mean, i dont want it to be as complicated as something like defrag, but more options people actually use would be quite nice.
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2008, 03:47:26 PM »

ok, should i build some for os x?
are these similar to the ones for 0.7.6?
they come from source/code of svn?
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2008, 06:33:46 PM »

I added the VM files you gave (and checked in the UI they were used as seen on your screenshot).
I didn't experience any freeze at all while I played this evening. Quite strange ... I dunno if it's related to the addition of these files which would have fixed something.
I should do further tests Wink

aantipop
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2008, 06:50:32 AM »

ok i fetched the openarena.stable.i386 and the pak8_testvm1.pk3.
without pak0 in my ~/.openarena/baseoa/ i couldnt run the game. (my binary is in /usr/bin/)
my pak0 - pak9 are in /usr/share/openarena/baseoa.

so i copied the pak0 to my home baseoa. when i tried to connect to a server it tried to download all the other paks, so i copied them too. when i launch the openarena.stable.i386 without my old config file i still get the red background and strange terminal. here is the output of my linux terminal:

[aantipop@blackbox bin]$ openarena.stable.i386
ioQ3 1.34-rc4+oa linux-i386 Apr  6 2008
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
/home/aantipop/.openarena/baseoa/zl3tourney1.pk3 (112 files)
snip
/home/aantipop/.openarena/baseoa/0ups_beta2a.pk3 (65 files)
/home/aantipop/.openarena/baseoa
/usr/bin/baseoa

----------------------
22079 files in pk3 files
execing default.cfg
couldn't exec q3config.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
----- Client Initialization -----
----- Initializing Renderer ----
-------------------------------
QKEY found.
----- Client Initialization Complete -----
----- R_Init -----

------- Input Initialization -------
Joystick is not active.
------------------------------------
...loading libGL.so.1:
Calling SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO)...
SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO) passed.
Initializing OpenGL display
...setting mode 3: 640 480
Using 8/8/8 Color bits, 24 depth, 0 stencil display.
GL_RENDERER: GeForce4 Ti 4400/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!
Initializing OpenGL extensions
...ignoring GL_S3_s3tc
...ignoring GL_EXT_texture_env_add
...using GL_ARB_multitexture
...using GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array
...ignoring GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic

GL_VENDOR: NVIDIA Corporation
GL_RENDERER: GeForce4 Ti 4400/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!
GL_VERSION: 1.5.8 NVIDIA 96.43.05
GL_EXTENSIONS: GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_window_pos GL_S3_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_Cg_shader GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_paletted_texture GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_shared_texture_palette GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_cube_map GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_lod GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_timer_query GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_HP_occlusion_test GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_KTX_buffer_region GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color GL_NV_depth_clamp GL_NV_fence GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_multisample_filter_hint GL_NV_occlusion_query GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil GL_NV_pixel_data_range GL_NV_point_sprite GL_NV_register_combiners GL_NV_register_combiners2 GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_compression_vtc GL_NV_texture_env_combine4 GL_NV_texture_rectangle GL_NV_texture_shader GL_NV_texture_shader2 GL_NV_texture_shader3 GL_NV_vertex_array_range GL_NV_vertex_array_range2 GL_NV_vertex_program GL_NV_vertex_program1_1 GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_multitexture GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_SGIX_depth_texture GL_SGIX_shadow GL_SUN_slice_accum
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE: 4096
GL_MAX_ACTIVE_TEXTURES_ARB: 4

PIXELFORMAT: color(24-bits) Z(24-bit) stencil(0-bits)
MODE: 3, 640 x 480 fullscreen hz:N/A
GAMMA: hardware w/ 0 overbright bits
CPU:
rendering primitives: single glDrawElements
texturemode: GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST
picmip: 1
texture bits: 0
multitexture: enabled
compiled vertex arrays: enabled
texenv add: disabled
compressed textures: disabled
Initializing Shaders
trying gfx/misc/sun.TGA...
^3WARNING: R_FindImageFile could not find 'gfx/misc/sun.tga' in shader 'sun'
^3Shader sun has a stage with no image
----- finished R_Init -----
trying gfx/misc/console01.TGA...
^3WARNING: R_FindImageFile could not find 'gfx/misc/console01.tga' in shader 'console'
^3Shader console has a stage with no image
------ Initializing Sound ------
Initializing SDL audio driver...
SDL audio driver is "dsp".
SDL_AudioSpec:
  Format:   AUDIO_S16LSB
  Freq:     22050
  Samples:  512
  Channels: 2
Starting SDL audio callback...
SDL audio initialized.
----- Sound Info -----
    1 stereo
16384 samples
   16 samplebits
    1 submission_chunk
22050 speed
0x8ba93e8 dma buffer
No background file.
----------------------
Sound initialization successful.
--------------------------------
Sound memory manager started
Loading vm file vm/ui.qvm...
...which has vmMagic VM_MAGIC_VER2
Loading 1229 jump table targets
VM file ui compiled to 629625 bytes of code
ui loaded in 1390048 bytes on the hunk
96 arenas parsed
40 bots parsed
--- Common Initialization Complete ---
Opening IP socket: localhost:27960
Hostname: blackbox.domain.org
Alias: localhost.localdomain
Alias: localhost
Alias: blackbox
IP: 127.0.0.1
Started tty console (use +set ttycon 0 to disable)

i hope this is not caused by any obscure pk3's in my folder ?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 06:46:14 AM by aantipop » Logged
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2008, 08:19:39 AM »

ok i fetched the openarena.stable.i386 and the pak8_testvm1.pk3.
without pak0 in my ~/.openarena/baseoa/ i couldnt run the game. (my binary is in /usr/bin/)
my pak0 - pak9 are in /usr/share/openarena/baseoa.

My binaries does not use /usr/share for data (that is Debian specific). The game prioritizes pk3 files in .openarena over everything else, and priorities files that come alphabetically last is preferred (they override the files that are alphabetically earlier). You can cheat and place rename the pack to 'zzz_pak8.pk3' like many modifications do.

However the best way is to, place the binaries in there own folder, create a baseoa folder, place pak0-6 from 0.7 and the pak8 in that folder. And finally start the binary with the command ./ioquake3.arch +set fs_homepath /home/USERNAME/.openarena2 so that the game will use a clean config that are separated from the old one.

aantipop
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008, 10:29:48 AM »

this is working! no more missing terminal background and such.

i have a lot of this error lines in terminal:
Com_sprintf: overflow of 63 in 62
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: