Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: 0.7.6 released!  (Read 154725 times)
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2008, 03:57:58 PM »

i wonder why it isn't included in the release: i sent it 2 days ago...
because the zip was finalized and was already mirrored and I didn't want to upload another and make them mirror again. It'd be a MD5sum nightmare.
and what was the point in having me building it in record time, with almost no test at all and without even a direct contact via pm or mail on which engine to build? O_o i contacted you personally on 13th to make sure that everything was ok, to prepare my enviroments for the build, i asked you about when the binaries whould be needed, i passed hours trying to solve that weird problems with the "stable" release (that, at least, seems to be discarded now), wasn't it possible to pm or mail me just the link to the sources to build (not the link for the final release without even an hint on what to build!) and wait to have the binaries back?
At least last time you had a public deadline and a last-time change in the sources prevented the mac binaries to be included, but i don't see anything like that today.
If these builds are a problems just tell me and i'll leave.
Crash!!!
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

hehe...I draw and play

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2008, 04:16:02 PM »

jackoverfull don't leave you are the only guy on the team that makes the mac builds! she just said that she promised that it would come out that day had it already zipped up and uploaded and to load the mac build up with the win/linux would be a hassle especially for the md5sum... it diesnt mean to be an insult to you or the mac people...
Logan

Cakes 2

I'm one of those Canadians you've heard about

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2008, 04:36:10 PM »

...Or was it? Haha Macs. :p

*Logan*

Let Me Kill You In Open Arena--> Digichalk 0.8.5
Let Me Kill You In Quake Live--> Logan26
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2008, 04:38:51 PM »

she just said that she promised that it would come out that day
that is (one of the) point(s): she said that the "pressuring deadline" was on 15th. on 13th i started to work to be sure that everything was ready for a mac release. i contatcted fromhell ad asked on when she would need the binaries to do a common release. she didn't know at all, but she was sure that the deadline was only for the content.

the next days i worked with sago007 and tw3k to solve some mac-specific problems in the sources. the svn sources where easy to fix, the "stable" ones didn't got fixed at all (only built for ppcs). they where still not sure on what sources would be used for the release, probably a third (cleaned?) one. Anyway, if the final one weren't going to build for the macintels we agreed to use the svn ones.

From that point...total void.

three days ago i got a pm from sago007 in which he wrote that fromhell hasked him to send me that link to prepare the mac release (the file was modified while downloading and got corrupted, i had to download again, but that's irrelevant here). i downloaded the file and opened it. It is the same file currently on the download page. With all the engines for windows and linux in it. She never considered to make an unified mac/linux/widows release, which would make a lot of sense (to me?).

Not only that: i got no download link on which sources to build! sago007 didn't replied to my pms and fromhell has the pms disabled. I ended up in building that, that appeared to be the logical ones to build.
I built it during the night, tested at the best i could and sent the link back to sago007 at 03 in the morning of monday. No replies. And no release date announced, only a "next release imminent" message at the top of the forums.

what is the point of that?
i lost a lot of my time for...almost nothing?
UgLyPuNk
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2008, 05:08:39 PM »

Internode Mirror up

OpenArena 0.7.6 Win Client
http://games.internode.on.net/filelist.php?filedetails=16955

OpenArena 0.7.6 ZIP Client
http://games.internode.on.net/filelist.php?filedetails=16954

(feel free to add it to the mirror list)

Kingsley
danj0r
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2008, 05:57:22 PM »

AusGamers now has download mirrors for 0.7.6 (no reg required):

oa076.exe
http://www.ausgamers.com/files/details/html/35309

oa076.zip
http://www.ausgamers.com/files/details/html/35310

Feel free to add these to your mirror list.

-Dan
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2008, 10:07:37 PM »

I thought I expected a .dmg.
On April 20-21, i've built like 3 so called "Final" oa076.zips and uploaded them fully and partially to the site then suddenly finding mistakes in them and pulling them off the site often for various reasons (stray stderr.txts, missing pak8-patch.pk3, redundant bloat in pak0.pk3, missing double domination models). This was aggravating for me because I have a very slow upload speed (25kb per sec) and I was also under the pressure because I promised it that week and I have had to quickly playtest every level and every gametype. Frantic. On the same day I had to deal with Windows installers of just 2mbs shorter of the file size and uploaded those, so i've been in a great deal of trouble, blood, sweat and tears of doing this release more than you have.

PMs are disabled for myself because I highly dislike 'private inquiries', last time I had them enabled, I would be getting emails that people were contributing non-Free material to me secretly to use for the project. Various people.  Not only that but being privately asked to solve obvious tech support issues. These things should be done on the forum.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 10:13:55 PM by leilol » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2008, 10:55:53 PM »

I thought I expected a .dmg.
why? i'm reading my chat logs now...

it was on 9th that i contacted you, not on 13th. and we didn't talk specifically about a common release this time. sorry for that, just wrote that i'll had to send you binaries...taken for clear that that was for this purpose. next time?

anyway, was that at least the right sources to build? i'm not even sure about that, nobody replied me on this point... i will do a dmg (engine only, since i can't host a full release this time), but i want to use the right engine...
PMs are disabled for myself because I highly dislike 'private inquiries', last time I had them enabled, I would be getting emails that people were contributing non-Free material to me secretly to use for the project. Various people.  Not only that but being privately asked to solve obvious tech support issues. These things should be done on the forum.
ok, but if someone who helps the project has to contact you what he have to do? the only thing i could do in the past was to wait in an msn client (which isn't, anyway, a good client to keep open for me: too many people calling for help...) and hope.
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2008, 06:15:28 AM »

Small typo on the download page: TuzFamily
Ilfirin
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2008, 01:05:27 PM »

Hello.
I am translating this news to czech for linuxgames.cz

I cannot find out, what "has been atticed" stands for.
Can you help me?

Thanks
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2008, 02:04:03 PM »

@Ilfirin: means it's been put into attic which means it's taken out of the game and not used anymore like you put things in your attic you're not needing at the moment. Wink

@jackoverfull: I'm very thankful for your mac binaries and got them just a few hours after you posted your link and I favour such seperate .app file like you created. It would be a shame if you stop building these. I've to slight feeling not everything went good on current release. Lei was under pressure Wink
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 02:06:10 PM by cosmo » Logged

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2008, 02:41:01 PM »

Promotion of the new version isn't as strong as before though, yet anyway. There's been no diggery and bloggery so far, according to the protopage.

jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2008, 03:31:21 PM »

@jackoverfull: I'm very thankful for your mac binaries and got them just a few hours after you posted your link and I favour such seperate .app file like you created. It would be a shame if you stop building these.
well, thanks for support. i'm not planning in building oa for mac, unless someone in the team asks me to do so.

Lei was under pressure
no, that is not true. there was no release date fixed. we where not even waiting for a release a month ago...also, about two months ago she unilaterally declared oa dead...

Promotion of the new version isn't as strong as before though, yet anyway. There's been no diggery and bloggery so far, according to the protopage.
i don't see any reason of wonder about that.

chronologically:
1) you declares oa death. and close the forums.
2) you get a lot of protests and chose to reopen the forums.
3) you retire.
4) you declare "pressuring deadline for next release" in the top of the forums, but still remain "retired".
5) you change the forum post to say that there are only "technical difficulties"', but the developer's blog still declares oa death and you are still showing " retired admin" title.
6) the forum banner changes in "next release in preparation". no date given at all...
7) oa 0.7.6 is released for two of the previous three supported platforms.
Cool After more than a day i still don't know if i can link the release containing all three the platforms outside here (i don't want to put someone in a situation like the one i was some months after i started hosting the 0.7.0 mac only full release, with my isp almost receding the contract...).

I remember very well the release of 0.7.0. There has been a lot of publicity. There has been a release date fixed months before (although with some confusion). OA 0.7.0 was awaited by the people outside here. It has been the most widely used oa release ever, quickly adopted by almost every user of the old version and by a lot of new users. The next release has to be done that way. We (no, the leader, you, fromhell) has to set a release date and we (the release team) has to work together has a team. It's the only way OA can really improve.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2008, 03:40:05 PM »

I don't like set release dates since I always miss them, so "pressure" dates are more comfortable. OA 0.6.0 was originally scheduled for September 29 2006.

jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2008, 03:48:14 PM »

I don't like set release dates since I always miss them, so "pressure" dates are more comfortable. OA 0.6.0 was originally scheduled for September 29 2006.
well...that's the point on release dates: set a pressure date for the "beta" version then get some time to publicize the upcoming release and to test it!
pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2008, 05:36:31 PM »

it seems there needs to be some better organization of how releases are tested and released. IMO this release was rushed with too short of a testing period and too few testers. this is shown by the sheer number of bugs people are finding with both the engine which only got maybe 2 weeks of testing and the content (maps and models) which nobody really got to test beforehand.
what we need is a more fixed testing schedule (at least a month of testing before a tenative release date) with a relatively large (10 or so people would probably be ok) group of dedicated testers who have an idea what to look for. that way everyone here can ensure that the general public only gets exposed to a high quality, tested into the ground release while only those of us who wish to test and contribute get exposed to obvious bugs.
mozilla spends months testing firefox within the community before they bother releasing to the general public, and it seems to work quite well for them. as a proud mozilla firefox 2 and 3 tester i can say this works quite well and would work great for other open source communities such as open arena.
baer
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2008, 11:34:29 PM »

just a statement from "outside":

Deadlines are fine, good thing to get a team working, but:
Don't argue so much, just be at least a little bit proud!
All of you did a great job in the past and still doing it now!

The community is thankfull for everything you did so far and hopefully will do in the future.
Nobody EXPECTS something. Okay?

Don't drive yourself up the wall!
Just enjoy what you are doing and all the compliments you get!

have fun and take care
baer

kilgore
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2008, 03:52:48 AM »

Confused about the mac version.... the link posted in this thread leads to a small file that opens up to an application file... which does nothing.  Can someone post some clear instructions on how to upgrade for mac?
And thanks so much for the new release!  I appreciate the hard, unpaid work everyone put into it.   Looking forward to playing it when I figure out how!
Kilgore
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2008, 05:01:22 AM »

@kilgore:

Step 1: Download linux/windows zip 0.76 release and make sure to remove your old OA before you continue. Even look into Library/Application Support/OpenArena and remove these files too!
Step 2: Unzip it so you get a nice new OA folder with several files and folders in it. Check if there is a folder called baseoa which is important.
Step 3: Download Mac binary provided by jackoverfull (you've already done) and uncompress it.
Step 4: Put that .app file into your new OA folder
Step 5: OpenArena.app and baseoa have to be in the same place. Launch OpenArena.app and enjoy. Smiley

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
sanssecours
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2008, 06:11:35 AM »

Hi to everyone

@kilgore

An other way to install OpenaArena on Mac OS X, which will get you a single .app folder

1. Download the Linux/Windows zip file
2. Download the Mac Binary
3. Uncompress both of the files you downloaded
4. Copy the Application OpenArena (MacBinary)  to your Application folder
5. Copy the stuff in the "baseo" folder, that you got when you uncompressed the Linux/Windows zip file, to the Clipboard
5. Right Click on "OpenArena" and choose "Show Package Contents"
6. A new Finder window will open up
7. Go into the folder "Contents/MacOS/baseoa" and paste the files you copied beforehand
8. Launch OpenArena
Sam_The_F00l
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2008, 07:08:27 AM »

hum maybe an old question... but... is 0.7.6 retrocompatible with 0.7.1 servers?

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2008, 07:17:19 AM »

hum maybe an old question... but... is 0.7.6 retrocompatible with 0.7.1 servers?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: No, it is not.

Even longer answer: No, it is not. But some mods might be cross compatible if they don't use the official pk3s.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2008, 01:58:53 PM »

so far the only mods ive seen to be fully compatible are western q3 (uses its own maps), urban terror (uses its own maps), cpma (as long as the server only uses cpma maps), and defrag on servers that only use defrag maps (well partially, as the main menu background is broken for some reason if you play defrag offline but still playable). there are probably a few others, but those are the only ones i can think of offhand that you will occasionally find on the server list.  <---  the really really long answer

be better off using qtracker in windows or xqf in linux (assuming you get xqf to let you add master servers, i sure havent) to see what version your favorite servers happen to be running. it may also be helpful if you use the admin email address most servers provide (assuming its a legit one) to drop them a line telling them that open arena has an update in case they dont know already.

kilgore
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2008, 02:41:35 PM »

Thanks for the instructions!  The update is fun, I like trying out the new mods and maps.  A long needed refresher to the game!  Looking forward to servers rotating the new CTF maps...
pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2008, 03:39:45 PM »

try playing the ctf maps in skirmish mode till they start using them on servers. its a good way to get familiarized with them before everyone else. on that note it would be a good idea to practice the new dm maps and the elimination modes as well.
i have a feeling they wont be too well recieved unfortunately, since they are too "complex". most ctf'ers ive played with always callvote nextmap the more complicated maps in 0.7.1 for some stupid reason and will mass-spectate any time the vote fails :/  i personally dont like yet will still play the simplier maps, and really enjoy the more complicated ones.... but sadly im in the minority.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: