Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 0.7.6 FPS Stutter  (Read 18059 times)
ix-ir
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: April 24, 2008, 02:22:50 PM »

When using OpenArena.exe my displayed FPS stutters between what looks like 85 and 125 FPS when com_maxfps is 125. The game also feels extremely choppy. Quake 3 runs smoothly at 125 FPS under Quake3.exe, ioquake3 and ChallengeQ3. It's not a specific map and the OA assets run fine with the other executables.

My processor is a dual core 1.66 with Intel 945GM onboard graphics and 1 gig of RAM.

Any idea what might be causing the stutter?
pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 02:27:19 PM »

SDL is probably the culprit, its a known bug and im not sure if anyone is working on remedying it. you having an integrated intel chipset (same one they use in desktops) only makes matters worse. ive personally noticed with my system (3ghz pentium 4, geforce 6200OC, 1GB ram) it gets worse after a map or two.

see the thread here for this and other known bugs:
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=1700.0
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 03:21:01 PM »

openarena's technically higher detailed than Q3A as well. You might want to at least turn the texture detail one notch down and geometry to medium to get closer to Q3A specs.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 03:51:41 PM »

openarena's technically higher detailed than Q3A as well. You might want to at least turn the texture detail one notch down and geometry to medium to get closer to Q3A specs.

this isnt completely true, as what the OP said OA's assets (maps and models and such) run just fine with other executables. the fault is purely with the new executable that comes with 0.7.6.  in which case lowering the graphics settings will probably help, but not completely remedy the situation. a better solution is to simply use a different executable with the 0.7.6 assets until a better executable is released.
skankychicken
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

OpenArena 1.0.0 - /cg_roaminganimals 1 ; /cg_flipf

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 01:58:02 AM »

I dont think its related to 7.6 at all. It was the first thing I noticed and it's all the cosmetics. There are parts in maps where it will drop so it's something you'll need to tweak until your happy with it. Linux users seem to less affected but the Q3 seems to behave quite the opposite. It is smooth and less gutsy.

It's only the detailed maps you'll experience this but you'll probably be able to reduce it so you'll rarely notice it as it bounces between 85 and 125 so quick. I dont remember having shadows and some of the effects for OA on Q3.

I remember a map on defrag with a fountain at the start and I was more crap than normal. I switched to Q3 and had no issues. The fountain wasnt as detailed etc.

On OA the detail of the models are excessive. I am also told they are more complex and will consume more resources. So I messed around myself and noticed the models and gun didnt reduce in detail as much as everything else. I done cg_drawgun 0 and noticed a big difference. Also try r_lodbias -2 [ JACKTHOMPSON ROX ]

erm.. can't think what else but when you it the best you can then you will try turning things on and may notice it does no harm, for example the explosions and fireworks in corkscrew. It  seems more map related, you just enter a certain area and it happens

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 10:00:00 AM »

Also try r_lodbias -2 [ JACKTHOMPSON ROX ]
Uh that makes the game use the highest detailed models always from any distance.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
skankychicken
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 10:38:08 AM »

Aaahh. lame attempt from Jack Thompson to make my performance suck.  mad There will be an enquiry, he has been warned about this before. He once told me I could run faster with gauntlet as there is less body weight

lodbias has a strange effect on my system because it behaves better when its at 0 instead of 1. Yet 1 is apparently low quality.

Anyway : http://www22.brinkster.com/ivanf/ivanfsavage.html

Old link but helpful Smiley

ix-ir
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 12:43:11 AM »

You should drop SDL, it's ruined the executable.
skankychicken
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 01:43:39 AM »

You should drop SDL, it's ruined the executable.

Does that affect 0.7.1? If not.. then no concern of mine Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: