Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some little suggestions for the next version  (Read 10681 times)
KyroMaster
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: May 12, 2008, 03:25:10 AM »

OpenArena rocks, that's for sure Wink
Since it's based on ioquake3 it still has very basic default settings, which I'd suggest to change because
most people do have more than a P233 now Wink
I mean it's set to 640x480, bilinear filtering, medium details, and so on. At least trilinear filtering should be the default, not everyone understand what this means but it really AFAIK is be the default for years in games.
Another thing, even with maximum details, is that the LOD for the round boxes (with health in them) only displays them "round" if the player is nearby. This should IMHO have no effect on new systems (or even a 5-year-old AthlonXP2400+) to at least have a details setting which gives "high quality".
Also automatic downloading is off by default, since this is an essential feature IMHO this should also be changed to give a better experience to newbies.
iLeft.bye

Cakes 1

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 01:02:07 PM »

right some computers can run oa fine without it
LOD still has its uses.
KyroMaster
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 03:35:19 PM »

What do you mean "without it"?
I just suggested to add a detail level where lod is either switched off or tweaked for maximum details
It's just that computers for 120€ (here in germany) can run OA with hundreds of FPS, so it's definitely worth improving.
fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 02:32:37 AM »

Most players will play with low detail if they are playing a serious game. There are obvious reasons for this and maybe not obvious just for fps.

FPS affects physics and movement. I can watch demos and stuff, but there's no fun in detail, but lots of fun shooting people on the arse. The detailed maps I'd say where worth it and has minimal affect on a half decent system.  I think some complex rendering and movement has caused alot of people to play with barely any detail but I do remember being able to turn up the detail after I changed models and set draw gun off. This made a big difference. It may also have been audio effects but cant remember. It's a shame because it was a while later I could put some of the detail back up no problem.

I thought 800 was default res. Go try a server without delag and see how well you do with everything optimum
KyroMaster
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 04:25:38 AM »

Yes, I tried this and there is absolutely no difference. What I want to say is, ioquake3 is almost unmodified in terms of rendering features AFAIK, and quake3 used to run on a Pentium 233 "back in the days". I've an Athlon X2 4600+ here, this whole upgrade inklusive RAM has cost 90€ so IMHO it's regarded as low-end. A framecounter would be nice for sure, but I think I still have several 100 FPS with my Geforce 6600GT.
Fitacus
Lesser Nub

Cakes -3

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 05:27:32 AM »

cg_drawFPS 1

"The things you own, they end up owning you."
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 11:56:28 AM »

From another forum with victims of fps problems in need of help Cheesy Thought this maybe of help or worth noting. Also, I think you will always get the people who refuse to buy anything unless they absolutely need it Cheesy Maybe if I get a new graphics card I might need a better processor too. I'd probably buy a good graphics card then realise there's not difference and no money left for a processor Cheesy

=============

Here is a funny anecdote about Windows.  I remember installing Quake3 on a dual dual-core AMD Opteron system with 4gb of ram expecting my fps to pretty much reach infinity.  It did no better than my Pentium 800mhz.  The reason was because my login did not have Administrator status.  This was on Windows Server 2003.  I can't remember exactly but I think I also tried it with XP and found the same problem.

Quake 3 is much more process oriented than graphics oriented. Which is why it's no longer even considered a benchmark in graphics (this stopped around mid 2004ish). I seriously think it's a resource problem with your processor if it's a laptop make sure the power management is set to always on this can have a HUGE affect on this. if it's not CPU check this

http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm
KyroMaster
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 12:03:22 PM »

Even if it's CPU limited, just think what hardware the original q3 was build for. I remember...P166 with a voodoo card as minimum or even P133. And how bigger the performance of, say, this Athon64X2 4600+ is, or one core of this. As a computer scientist I can tell you it's 40, perhaps even 50 or even more (since the CPU cache is so big that the whole rendering core fits into) times faster. My suggestion was also meant to make more details configurable, so people with very old PCs needn't to use it of course Wink
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 09:22:34 PM »

Q3A was intended to run on a minimum of a Pentium II 233MHz with a 16mb video card

OA exceeds that 'minimum' quite a bit naturally due to our 3x polycount and 2x texture resolution goals

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 08:01:42 PM »

right some computers can run oa fine without it
LOD still has its uses.

What would you recommend?
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 04:59:13 PM »

Athlon 700mhz with a Geforce 2 is recommended for smooth play.
Anything better that's not on a crap for video card (i.e. fx5200, radeon 9000-9250, gf6200, SiS, s3, Intel) should run good

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: