Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A mirror for the master server ?  (Read 6613 times)
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« on: July 12, 2008, 08:16:22 AM »

It seems dpmaster is down actually.
I was wondering if one could plan to host an additionnal master server.

I'm not aware of which software is necessary to do it.
If I understood well, servers would have to add this new master server to be listed.

Suggestions ? Wink

Todo: Walk the cat.
jessicaRA
Lesser Nub

Cakes 16

Wild pony spotted derping around oasago2.

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 09:27:29 AM »

it doesn't seem completely down, still get listings occasionally and errors from it but it would be good to have a backup master.  interestingly this morning the urban terror listings were fine on it but not openarena.

the error i get from the site:

-

Game Selection: Transfusion - Nexuiz - Open Arena - Warsow - Quake - Urban Terror

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 100663296 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 77 bytes) in /home/admin/domains/deathmask.net/public_html/dpmaster/index.php on line 485
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 09:33:07 AM by jessicaRA » Logged
fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 06:44:52 PM »

The servers get listed on the main id masterserver. dpmaster sits in the middle and fetches/filters the stuff you need so it's not the end of the world if dpmaster is down.  It does an effective job. No point in taking on the responsibility to what the main q3 masters have been doing for years.

It will always get the data from the dpmaster for the ingame browser, even if you send heartbeats to other masters. 

If there ever was a major issue and a new master server was required for some reason then it would mean astarting the game with an additional option  to change the default master server to another domain.

There are lots of gaming site lists and you'll find your server ends up on most of them anyway. You could even just create a list of favorites... do something neat and have it autoupdate Cheesy

Yes the memory issue is a pain in the arse.. I think it's malformed packets or possibly exploits causing that shit

fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 04:28:35 AM »

BTW.. problems are/were being reported from other protocols and q3 apps. The issue might have been outwith any control, apparently xfire clients/etc were also affected
Mathieu Olivier
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 02:24:26 AM »

It seems dpmaster is down actually.
I was wondering if one could plan to host an additionnal master server.
Any master server listed in DarkPlaces source code is a dpmaster instance, and so could do the job. See the "sv_masters" array at the beginning of this DP source file.

Edit: ioquake3.org also hosts a dpmaster since Jun 3rd, on master.ioquake3.org

I'm not aware of which software is necessary to do it.
Dpmaster  Smiley

If I understood well, servers would have to add this new master server to be listed.
That's correct. You'll have to add them in the clients too though, so they can get the list from the proper master.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 11:51:44 AM by Mathieu Olivier » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: