Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Guidelines for OA official competition  (Read 28525 times)
CFQ
---

Cakes 0

---

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2008, 04:58:56 PM »

----
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 08:52:06 PM by CFQ » Logged

I blanked my posts because I don't like this forum anymore! BAWWWWW
Super Retardo
Nub

Cakes 0

Not the brightest bulb on the strand...

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2008, 12:10:49 AM »

while your concerns about cheating are very real and valid CFQ...your just flat out wrong on this issue

1. First, while most h4x for q3 engine games are windows based, using "linux only" is not the answer, it will only isolate/alienate a bunch of people from wanting to play OA.  I would def be down for true comps if it was open to Windows gamers, but....

2. Wanna know why RTCW:ET sucks so bad now?
Because of the "LINUX" aimbots that PunkBuster just can't find.    Will using just linux solve the problem? NO. 
Most of the ET aimbots/multihacks have their roots in Q3 somewhere btw....

3. And if cheating is that big of a concern you want all sorts of stupid hard to do builds etc....why don't you just spend extra time...contact the ETPRO or ETACE mod teams for Enemy Territory and work with them on creating some anti-cheat measures. 

4. I like others do not want the MAJOR PAIN IN THE ASS of having to install a new OS just to compete in a game that uses outdated tech.

1. DL Linux ISO's of whatever build you like   3-10hrs.
    1a.  If you haven't used linux before...decide which one is the best for you  1-2 hrs.
2. Burn the ISO's error free to CD's or DVD's 1-2hrs.
3. Repartition hard drive using 3rd party software 2-6hrs.
4. Install Linux 1-2hrs.
5. Install Correct Drivers 1-4 hrs.
6. Figure out WHAT THE FUCK you were just talking about with the diff builds/kernels etc for somebody who doesnt use linux all that often? GOD KNOWS HOW LONG!!!!!!

Total Time to install Linux
9 hrs MINIMUM
26 hrs MAXIMUM

Look...I'm glad Linux is on the scene, it keeps the universe in balance with the evil empire of Microsoft
....Tux is cool in my book....

BUT THE SNOBBERY FROM SOME OF US OPEN SOURCE USERS HAS GOT TO STOP!!!!!!!

LASTLY AND MOST IMPORTANTLY[/size][/size]

The best way to stop cheating is to GET ADMINS WHO ARE TRAINED TO SPOT IT!

Admins that know about monitoring pings during fire fights...
Who know how to use replays to spot wallhacks...
Who know how to monitor stats the right way...
BASIC STUFFF....

DO SOPHISTICATED STATISTICAL ANALYSIS ON YOUR LOGS...
CONFIDENCE INTERVALS, STANDARD DEVIATIONS, ANALYSIS OF REGRESSION ERRORS (LINEAR AND OTHERS)....

FIND THE HUMANIZED BOT DOUCHEBAGS!!!!!!!!!....

and lastly...
WHEN IT COMES TO CHEATERS>>>KICK FIRST ASK QUESTIONS LATER

« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 12:39:53 AM by Super Retardo » Logged
Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2008, 12:51:13 AM »

1. First, while most h4x for q3 engine games are windows based, using "linux only" is not the answer, it will only isolate/alienate a bunch of people from wanting to play OA.  I would def be down for true comps if it was open to Windows gamers, but....
I completely agree.

now maybe I am completely blind on the issue, but I have not yet seen any aimbots on oa yet :/ I have seen people with really good aim, but I have spec'd them, and their aim is for reals. usually when someone accuses another of aimbotting, its because the accuser quite frankly is a noob.

Quote from: sploosh
there once was an animal called gerbil
he dreamed he was eating his turtle
he awoke with a frieght
in the middle of the night
to find out that he was a squirtle
CFQ
---

Cakes 0

---

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2008, 12:42:05 PM »

----
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 08:52:25 PM by CFQ » Logged

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2008, 01:15:59 PM »

1. DL Linux ISO's of whatever build you like   3-10hrs.
1a.  If you haven't used linux before...decide which one is the best for you  1-2 hrs.
2. Burn the ISO's error free to CD's or DVD's 1-2hrs.
3. Repartition hard drive using 3rd party software 2-6hrs.
4. Install Linux 1-2hrs.
5. Install Correct Drivers 1-4 hrs.
6. Figure out WHAT THE FUCK you were just talking about with the diff builds/kernels etc for somebody who doesnt use linux all that often? GOD KNOWS HOW LONG!!!!!!

Total Time to install Linux
9 hrs MINIMUM
26 hrs MAXIMUM

Lol, you haven't used a modern distrobution recently eh?
Super Retardo
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2008, 05:51:31 PM »

repartition a 500gb HD with over 50% full of vital data and files?

ummm...dont care if its a modern distro...it's a pain in the ass...

im not anti-linux here folks....

in fact...I AM VERY PRO OPEN SOURCE...but to mandate one operating system over another....thats just retarded...the game was specifically compiled for BOTH...
if it weren't for open source OS's (Ubuntu, linux, whathave you), instead of the piece of shit Vista/XP at work...i'd probably be taking it up the ass with Windows ME right now...thank god....

and to your question Kit89 no i havnt used a modern distro...but thats because ive had business requirements for windows for so long...its a PAIN IN THE ASS TO WORK BETWEEN THE TWO...

But forget that...LINUX has nothing to do with it. 
You could hand me everything, all the hacks, all the rom images whatever,  needed to install OS X on my machine as well...I wouldn't do OSX...
You could even tell me to install a clean copy of XP or Vista...I WOULDNT DO IT

...if youre talking about anti-cheat stuff in a linux build...shit put it in the windows one as well...or are you going to fragment the codebase and make another dev mistake like what happened between 0.7.0-0.7.6 and 0.7.7 where the community almost falls apart?

ITS NOT ABOUT THE TECH>>>>>>>>GET THAT THROUGH YOUR HEADS>>>>>>

ITS ABOUT MAXIMIZING THE Number of USERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so like i said before...you will alienate a large portion of willing players by keeping your comps as linux open.   

PS: a great source for anti-cheat stuff are the ETACE and ETPRO communities....

They developed very good complete anticheat measures for RTCW:ET (A Q3 Engine Game!)--In fact the ETPRO mod doesn't even require punkbuster to be on for the anti-cheat to function....

And CFQ...you don't have to do what you're talking about it code....

Because of what you said about how bots work
...all you have to do is take your stats log file...dump it to a spreadsheet program,

...just start looking for trends and stuff...yeah i know it sounds like a witchhunt...but fuck it...game stats arent exactly covered under people's constitutional right to privacy....

since the bots have a set of programmed movements...accuracy levels will be soemwhat consistent...do consistency testing on simple numbers like that...youll find who your botters are...
Super Retardo
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2008, 06:24:27 PM »

a linux/OA bootable DVD iso....

choose whatever build/distro of linux you see fit...
load the drivers necessary for must users
put OA as the only installed program on it...maybe teamspeak or vent depending on preference

disable harddrives, flashdrives, floppies, other optical drives from being used inside it

when the client connnects to the oa server put in some hashing/authentication mechanisms on it...make sure the image is real/unmodified

i'd be down for dl'ing that...burning it and playing it....

obstacles to this idea:
no configs--but hey if you cant remember or dont know how to tweak your cvars...youre prolly not at a compettitve level yet...
no downloadble maps
no scripts--but this would level the playing field and make it about the player...not their ability to script actions...

*as far as restart necessary cvars...have linux make a ramdisk to store the config and then restart...
CFQ
---

Cakes 0

---

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2008, 07:36:23 AM »

----
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 08:52:44 PM by CFQ » Logged

Super Retardo
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2008, 07:53:19 PM »

the encryption/hashing signature was just an idea...you dont need it...but...

if you build it, they will play..... Smiley

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: