Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Missionpack, WTF?  (Read 28761 times)
Czestmyr
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Member, Player, Mapper

« on: August 24, 2008, 12:52:13 PM »

Hey guys,

what's the fuss with the missionpack? Is it supposed to be a mod where you can work your way up the various missions like in other mission-based games? If so, where can I read more about it? There seems to be no information neither here nor on the wiki.

Jabber ID: Czestmyr (rolled-herring-sign) jabber.cz
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 03:14:13 PM »

missionpack is the Open Arena version of Quake 3 Arena's Team Arena. Team Arena was in the missionpack directory in Quake 3.

Some new weapons, gametypes, different model system and a different UI with more possibilities.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Czestmyr
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Member, Player, Mapper

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 03:30:37 AM »

Ah, ok. Thanks for explanation. I thought that it was some kind of mod with linear style story and levels. Now THAT would be cool.

andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 07:50:43 AM »

I thought that it was some kind of mod with linear style story and levels. Now THAT would be cool.
I'm thinking about making a mod like that, something with really fun cooperative kill-the-monsters gameplay.  I need to learn a lot more about Q3 modding first though.....
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 08:14:38 AM »

I thought that it was some kind of mod with linear style story and levels. Now THAT would be cool.
I'm thinking about making a mod like that, something with really fun cooperative kill-the-monsters gameplay.  I need to learn a lot more about Q3 modding first though.....
I was thinking of that years ago too, though it'd have to be on a wide serious sam-like scale due to the fast bouncy movement of the player eliminating any slower-paced single player. Something like dmsp could be cool

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Czestmyr
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Member, Player, Mapper

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 10:48:49 AM »

Serious Sam is cool, but even with such gameplay would the mod need to modify the movement a bit. I can imagine the player bunny-hopping through the whole level to the end, which wouldn't be much fun. You surely can modify the movement with a mod, can't you?

pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 11:32:57 AM »

rtcw was based on the quake 3 engine if i remember correctly. and sure you could jump around and get forward faster, but you couldn't strafejump like in quake 3.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 05:31:17 AM »

I have a plan to make a single player game at some point.

With a secret organization that moves across the world to solve problems. All missions being independent so that they can be played in different order and maybe skipped, so that the game can be playable and in development at the same time.

But I'm bussy right now and I need to know a lot more about the AI before I can create a single player game.

andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 02:40:54 AM »

I can imagine the player bunny-hopping through the whole level to the end, which wouldn't be much fun. You surely can modify the movement with a mod, can't you?
Yes, there is a commented-out alternative of PM_Accelerate() in bg_pmove.c which seems to stop strafe jumping.  I just tried and I could not pick up speed like I normally can, nor could I jump over the lava in OA_DM1 to get the yellow armor.

The ability to bunny hop in such a game wouldn't bother me.
Jeff Vader Jr.
Nub

Cakes 0

TEACH ME!

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 03:35:17 PM »

Is there a way to incorporate cube in there?

Jeff Vader Jr.
Former Star Wars Battlefront player
Openarena Player and wannabe Developer
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 09:28:14 PM »

No. Cube is an entire engine.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
feLiZ_naVidAD
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 10:06:25 AM »

Speaking of that... There was a cool mod in half life... called seven co-op (or something like that)
It was several players ( i remember maps with 32 guys) killing enemies and stuff all together moving along a map...

But i guess the q3 engine is not intended for this kind of things... Smiley

(It'd sooo cool tho)

Whatever i say in this post is true unless fromhell said otherway. In that case I disagree with what I just wrote. I meant to write what fromhell said.
-------
I also would like to add that im not a chick. I use this model coz i like the thong of the sorceress when i die (witch rarely happens) Smiley
RudyRailer
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 02:23:05 PM »

Sounds good!

I imagine it like:

A big long map with and "exit" and all players must survive and make it to the exit,..otherwise the next map wont load Cheesy (forced teamplay)
Bots(monsters) hiding or patroling places u need to pass and u have to kill them,...then they respawn after like say 10 seconds or less to keep it fun.
Some bot maybe following the group,..so u need a rear guard, etc.
Bit more millitairy operation-style.
I think thats not so hard to create imo
Give bots a fixed position or walking route (task) and create maps that allow this kind of gameplay and voila. but then again im not a programmer.

I never played misionpack,..i always thought it would be like what someone said single player quake1/2  kill the monsters kind of thing.
Now i read that its just a mod, very dissapointing the name is totaly wrong aswell

Andrew i hope your gonna make a mod like u say i look forward to it and call it MISSIONPACK hehe Wink
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 04:09:38 PM »

This is already reality. Get HUNT mod for Q3 which runs fine on OA too. You'll get random generated maps/missions (also playable with normal FFA maps), monsters, and several coop gametypes.

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
RudyRailer
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 05:05:13 PM »

This is already reality. Get HUNT mod for Q3 which runs fine on OA too. You'll get random generated maps/missions (also playable with normal FFA maps), monsters, and several coop gametypes.

Oh i didnt know that.
Thanks for the info cosmo
You know where i can download it?
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 07:35:14 PM »

HUNT didn't work for me, some error about needing the Klesk model iirc.
fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 08:55:47 PM »

Using forcemodel might be a workaround whenever that happens, although it's not ideal.
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 01:21:19 PM »

There is an option to alter this. Suitable for OA would be the monster model assoc in a config. See attached file.
Put it into your hunt directory. Press shift+esc to open console and type: /exec oa.cfg

I recommend 'Save the universe' and 'Escape from hell' gametypes. The latter one needs random generated maps. The one already included in hunt mod requires textures from Q3A which are not in OA yet. There is an additional map for download at the hunt mod page. Download it and put it into your hunt folder. It works fine.

The monsters in 'Save the universe' are pretty tough. Think about reducing their basehealth to 30%. Cheesy

I might run a hunt server over christmas time.

http://cosmo.spaceboyz.net/openarena/hunt/oa.cfg
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 03:15:30 PM by cosmo » Logged

Noob Sauce
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2008, 03:59:46 PM »

the HUNT mod is windows only-right?
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 06:23:03 PM »

the HUNT mod is windows only-right?
No you can play it fullscreen too.

OA is not Quake2 so there are no platformspecific game files ('cept the engine binaries).

Server is up and running (gametype: Escape from hell). Highscores will be tracked. Don't try it alone. Tongue

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2008, 07:22:53 PM »

I guess we should finish at least a first version of Missionpack UI Menu. I've took a look at the UI code, and it doesn't seem to be hard. (Maybe complex for someone who never wrote a line of code in his/her life Tongue)

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2008, 08:12:02 PM »

OA is not Quake2 so there are no platformspecific game files ('cept the engine binaries).
Some mods may have put some of there functionality into platform dependent dll files, however very few does because platform specific files cannot be auto downloaded.

cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2008, 02:29:12 PM »

platform specific is evil and shouldn't be used.

Highscores for HUNT are online:
http://cosmo.spaceboyz.net/openarena/hunt_highscores.html
link(http://cosmo.spaceboyz.net/openarena/hunt_highscores.html)

I'm doing some texture work at the moment to have all required (missing ones from Q3A) so every HUNT map is playable.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: