Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Install Issues V0.8.0 - Debian  (Read 14330 times)
steveyflid
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: August 29, 2008, 01:08:46 PM »

**NOOB ALERT**

i want to install oa v.0.8.0 on my debian OS...
i've tried various stoopid things and failed so i've started from scratch.......

please help me..........
stoopid question........ can i install and old but stable version of oa from the debian repositories the overwrite the files with 0.8.0?HuhHuh

cheers.............

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 01:32:20 PM »

You cannot just overwrite the datafiles. (But you can install it to make sure you got all dependencies)

Download the openarena-0.8.0.zip file and unpack it. Then download: http://download.tuxfamily.org/openarena/rel/080/oa080-serverfix.zip and take the binaries from old_glibc (they should work on Debian), place them in openarena-0.8.0, make the binary of choice executable and double click it.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
steveyflid
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 02:31:49 PM »

after your instruction i get the following feedback from the console.......

----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
/root/.openarena/baseoa
/openarena-0.8.0/baseoa/pak7-patch.pk3 (1 files)
/openarena-0.8.0/baseoa/pak6-misc.pk3 (226 files)
/openarena-0.8.0/baseoa/pak5-TA.pk3 (138 files)
/openarena-0.8.0/baseoa/pak2-players.pk3 (669 files)
/openarena-0.8.0/baseoa/pak2-players-mature.pk3 (231 files)
/openarena-0.8.0/baseoa/pak1-maps.pk3 (98 files)
/openarena-0.8.0/baseoa/pak0.pk3 (1035 files)
/openarena-0.8.0/baseoa/more_crosshairs.pk3 (78 files)
/openarena-0.8.0/baseoa

----------------------
2476 files in pk3 files
execing default.cfg
execing q3config.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
----- Client Initialization -----
Couldn't read q3history.
Your network rate is too slow for VoIP.
Set 'Data Rate' to 'LAN/Cable/xDSL' in 'Setup/System/Network' and restart.
Until then, VoIP is disabled.
----- Initializing Renderer ----
-------------------------------
QKEY found.
----- Client Initialization Complete -----
----- R_Init -----
/bin/bash: line 1: 19296 Segmentation fault      "/openarena-0.8.0/openarena.i386"

Press <ENTER> to continue...

whats that about then?
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 05:23:42 PM »

Cheesy
From what I understand you're not running Debian Stable. (old_glibc binaries provided worked on at least two Debian Stable machine ... )

What glibc version are you using ?
Code:
ls -ail /lib/libc.*

can i install and old but stable version of oa from the debian repositories the overwrite the files with 0.8.0?
No you can't, they use other protocol versions.

Are your opengl drivers working correctly ?
Code:
glxinfo | grep direct

Forgot to add : what is your CPU ? (32 or 64 bits ?)

And please, do not start the game while being root Wink
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 05:33:11 PM by Cacatoes » Logged

Todo: Walk the cat.
steveyflid
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 10:02:31 AM »

i'm using xandros 4 which is a fork of debian. i know the documentation says i can't run debian stable software but i have run openarena previously. i'm talking v6...

its 32bit i'm running. all other 3d software runs pretty well. i'm running an intel chipset....

i like to think i'm pretty competent even though i'm a noob to linux. lol..... can't get oa to run though...... lol.......
heres the info from your code  : -

4581 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 2007-10-19 18:02 /lib/libc.so.6 -> libc-2.3.6.so

both of the other codes don't work.... er........... lol.............

ok...
let me try another possibly simpler angle.....
anyone know the debian repository address etc so i can get the latest version of oa and glibc through synaptic???

the repos i use just have oa v062 and glibc v2.3.

its really bugging me out totally. it seems like something so simple that eludes me.........

hopefully i'll sort it...... cheers guys for your continued help!!!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 10:07:28 AM by steveyflid » Logged
damocles
Bigger member

Cakes 0

May cause drowsiness

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 01:01:06 PM »

steveyflid, can you try running glxinfo in a terminal, and tell us what you get?  (I may regret this.)  Click the "#" formatting button before you paste (in between [ code ] [ / code ]).

Also, perhaps see if DefaultDepth 24 is present in your xorg.conf?  (see similar thread)

If all else fails, see if you can run the linuxquake3 binaries from jackthompson.
steveyflid
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 01:52:30 PM »

sorry dude....
glxinfo don't work in a terminal...........

as for the update am i just taking the binaries???
so far not a great deal is happening... lol..........

many thanks for this dude!!

incidentally both links lead to the same place in the previous post.... lol

does the jack download require anything extra?? can't find the binaries.......
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 03:07:10 PM by steveyflid » Logged
damocles
Bigger member

Cakes 0

May cause drowsiness

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 11:38:24 PM »

Edit: Previously asking for xorg, glibc, gcc versions, now stricken from the record.
Xandros 4.0 claims to be glibc 2.3.2 (not 2.3.6?) and xorg 6.9, which should work...

(otherwise there'd be "version `GLIBC_2.x' not found (required by ... )" before anything else)

This could actually be several things, so I'll break this down.

I actually was trying to point to this thread with stuff about xorg.conf -- sorry about that.  There should be a section that looks similar to the second post.  See if xorg.conf is DefaultDepth 24, and change it to that if it isn't.

Specifically what version of Xandros are you using?  Did you upgrade or update any packages (since glibc seems to be different)?

Could also be something about SDL (since it stops right at R_Init, instead of loading SDL and complaining about no OpenGL), but I'm not familiar enough with Debian here to know what problems there are with libraries not matching.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 01:19:34 AM by damocles » Logged
yasha
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

Did thunder hit my head?

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 06:11:12 AM »

Do other games work normaly. It can be problem with something else, not OA.

Try downloading 0.8.0 and extract it into different folder, and try to run it (not .exe, run .i386). If its same problem you had before i don't know. Sad

steveyflid, if possible you should switch to ubuntu. It's similar to debian, and very easy to use. And has very good community.

... Am I in desert? ...
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 12:33:25 PM »

First, I'd recommand to update your distribution.

Code:
su
aptitude update
aptitude upgrade
Then try again to start it ...

Debian doesn't has latest OA version in their repositories, even in sid.

Todo: Walk the cat.
steveyflid
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 12:06:50 PM »

major league thanks to all of you...

now for my responses. apologies if this comes across as ungrateful........

my major worry is that i am not on pure debian. i am running xandros 4 which is a fork of debian. all docs and media relating to xandros say DEBIAN SOFTWARE WILL BREAK YOUR OS etcetcetcetc..........

all repositories for xandros contain basically out of date but stable debian software. synaptic package manager is basically how i do things installation wise. i've spoken with other debian users and found some stable repositories for better/popular debian releases however some just don't work... others are best avoided blah blah etcetc...

i run other games though not as accomplished. prboom. emulators upto psx etc. they run smooth enough and oa itself i ran quite happily upto 070 or something similar.

i am comfortable to update using the code you provide but i feel that it ain't gonna update properley because i ain't pure debian. this is where my lack of linux knowledge kicks in.... please clarify any stoopid sounding stuff in that last sentence.

this next bit will annoy you all to death..... i have a good distro of xubuntu on cd. my comp doesn't have a cd drive.......... lmao..........

dudes you have all helped me greatly... if not directly then simply by showing me some interesting stuff. many thanks for that! if i can't frag you all then i'll simply thank you all.........
damocles
Bigger member

Cakes 0

May cause drowsiness

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 01:05:36 PM »

steveyflid, if you're willing to see how far you can go with the Xandros Networks updates (core / system, libraries, etc.), that may be as close as it gets.

They probably do mean it when they say Debian updates will break -- it seems to be a significantly souped-up Debian Sarge with Linux 2.6.15 and xorg 6.9.0 (instead of, say, 2.4.27/2.6.8 and XFree86 4.3.0).

Again, it could be a variety of things, even a kernel issue (yes, this did happen -- would segfault / throw a signal 11 after starting to load VMs).  This was partially why I was pointing to the bin/openarena-0.8.0/linuxquake3 here (in Download: quake3-1.32b+fixes1+changes1-source.zip) -- it could mostly work (though your problem would still be there).

See what happens, but, in the end, there's always updating or upgrading your distro.  (Nothing wrong with that. Smiley)

Good luck.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 01:26:26 PM by damocles » Logged
steveyflid
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 01:43:12 PM »

i'm updating as a type...... holy moly............ :-D

cheers dude for your help if this fails.... its a fresh install.... need my oa fix!!

raggh! etcetc......

ha ha!!!! IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dude thats awesome i am rocking!!!!!!

its frag time!!! woohooo!!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 02:27:32 PM by steveyflid » Logged
damocles
Bigger member

Cakes 0

May cause drowsiness

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 02:45:32 PM »

Awesome. Smiley
steveyflid
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 05:33:36 PM »

dude i know this isn't strictly speaking oa but if a program is 'half-installed' what command do i use to remove it.............?

basically aptitude installed EVERYTHING................ lol.......... chinese language support for acrobat reader......... lol...............

how do i stop the aptitude process!!! lol

no hdd space left.......!!!!!
damocles
Bigger member

Cakes 0

May cause drowsiness

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 08:53:37 PM »

Sorry, I'm not up to speed on Debian (yeah, I know), though there's some purge / clean action for apt-get, among other things.

Can anyone give a more proper solution? *cough*
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: