Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick question  (Read 9077 times)
E]x[F-RoBoJeW
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: September 05, 2008, 12:37:58 PM »

So im under a new (very old computer) and it lags up like crazy in the game. I have turned down all the game options to a minimum, Graphics, Music. Yet it still lags up a bit during game play and during big battles. Before you say its my connection. I have a 56 ping connection at the time with no miss packages.

I just want to know.. What other command can I use to lower the setting on that thing so it wont lag so much?

Oh I nearly forgot. It lags during single player mode so I know its not my connection.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 12:45:13 PM »

Maybe it's your FPS.

Open console, type:

/cg_drawfps 1

And check how varying it is.

For the network, you just have to select your connection type in the game options.

Which operating system you run ?

Todo: Walk the cat.
E]x[F-RoBoJeW
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 01:18:55 PM »

its at 90 Fps

oh and im running XP
Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 05:59:10 PM »

/r_picmip <number>
I use 5

you could also turn off shadows
/cg_shadows 0

/com_maxfps 125

Quote from: sploosh
there once was an animal called gerbil
he dreamed he was eating his turtle
he awoke with a frieght
in the middle of the night
to find out that he was a squirtle
fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 07:00:41 PM »

I find these two help alot..

/cg_detailtextures 0
/cg_drawgun 0
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 02:01:39 AM »

His problem doesn't seem to be related to FPS though ...

No idea why you experience "lag", if you've got a good framerate (is it constant or goes down when "lagging" ?), and a low ping (play locally).

(I'm not english so i'm not sure we say "lag" when it's framerate related, hence the quotes Tongue)

Todo: Walk the cat.
damocles
Bigger member

Cakes 0

May cause drowsiness

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 02:06:44 AM »

At 90fps, it seems more like "game is fast, but slows down every so often" instead of "game is slow all the time."  (Note, we don't know about processor, RAM, and graphics chipset.)

Wild and probably very wrong guesses include RAM / swap space, and OpenAL / SDL (and, of course, older hardware).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 02:19:45 AM by damocles » Logged
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 06:06:58 AM »

Resolution setting are the killer for older computers. Depending on your graphics card you should try a resolution of 800x600.

On that note, mind telling us the specification of this machine?

You could also find that it's a memory problem, not enough memory to transfer the files around causes the hard drive to be used. Also make sure your not running any other programs in the background like a virus scanner, MSN for instance. For older machines this can use it valuable resources that a game may need.

Also have you done a virus scan & Spy bot scan recently? Rogue viruses & Spy ware will use up precocious resources.
fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 07:21:53 AM »

800x600 < Agreed. On any computer I would always use this.

If he is familiar with q3 then it is the same issue with texture crap. Is it baseoa standard game and maps you are playing?
What server?

If I use 800 res and I have high detail up, the first thing I notice is that my weapons look much more detailed than the rest of the fov.

Playing on a server which has high detail maps is the main cause. The fps bouncing up and down is due to the mesh crap which fromhell mentioned. r_detailtextures 0 will improve this. r_lodbias 2 - ? I think this will help too.

It could be a server admin issue too Cheesy The admins have more control over the net settings than you do. If fact, you may not have any control despite what your settings tell you. 

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 08:11:55 AM »

Something is either hogging your processor or you're running a dual core (i'm unsure on the stability of dual core cpus)

Video detail settings shouldn't even matter at this point. I have a old Pentium II system which i have maximum detail settings on possible and oa runs fine.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: