Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: IMPROVEMENT SUGGESTIONS: OA STATS and OA_CTF4ISH Change  (Read 55538 times)
[uM]Cyberdemon
Half-Nub

Cakes 12

[uM] Clan Delegate OA Player

« on: September 11, 2008, 03:32:00 PM »

Dear developers and OA gladiators,

my clan and i play oa and q3a since the first release and
i'd like to discuss 2 things you should change in this game to improve gameplay and fun:

1) the /stats command, where you can check your accuracy statistics in the console. (this doesn't need to be explained anymore, it's already included in so many q3a mods ... you know what i mean!!!)

2) i regularly play the OA_CTF4ISH map (CTF gametype) on several servers and EVERY TIME the same problems come up:

the bfg and railgun weapon in this map are the roots for every conflict between the players. people who use that weapons too much or even just use it, are decreasing the fun level of the whole game:

it's a circle:

player A takes railgun and starts camping or/and player A takes the bfg and starts maiming! so players B to Z start complaining. they first ask him to stop it, then they start to callvote a kick on that player ...most players don't know where you find the YES button Smiley. so it goes on and on

.. and the point ist

the people waste more time on chatting, complaining and voting than playing that fucking map .....

and those 2 weapons are the roots for that issue since q3a ...

this map is very popular but rail- and bfg junkies  are spoiling that ..

and you can't stop them,  ... and if you try the same strategy, it's a desaster ... you can't enjoy it ...

so my suggestion is to replace those two weapons  ... you released 3 new weapons, take one of them, or replace it with an red/yellow armor ... i don't know, but a railgun and a bfg are real spoilers ...

i think it would be a good idea to replace those two weapons with the next update, by creating a OA_CTF4ISH clone version 2 or something like that, so that the people can decide what map to up on the server ... i really can imaging that a OA_CTF4ISH map without bfg and rail would kill every problem the people have to discuss EVERY TIME on EVERY DAY  ....

ok i'm finished, and i think that those two changes are not that much work to do. especially for professionals like you dear developers !!!

thank you for your attention, and i really do have to apologize for my english, i haven't used it for a long time ... Cheesy

check our servers: ultraMaim.de

good bye

[uM]Cyberdemon

ultraMAIM Clan .-. http://ultraMAIM.de .-. IRC: irc.quakenet.org #ultraMAIM

Half unfeeling machine, half raging horned devil. This walking nightmare has a rocket launcher for an arm and will definitely reach out and touch you. Make sure you're loaded for bear before you get to this guy.
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 03:46:05 PM »

Go and callvote a different CTF map and you're done.
Open Arena offers more than oa_ctf4ish and oasago2.

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
[uM]Cyberdemon
Half-Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 03:58:12 PM »

where am i done? i want to play the space map, not another map... when you buy old bananas and ask the vendor: you can order some new ones? .. he won't anser: just buy some apples ... he should order fresh bananas if he want to be a good vendor!

the amount of players arguing and complaining sucks. there is more chatting than playing. and if you check the serverlists cosmo: the fact, that there are mostly sago and 4ish could mean that other maps just suck, because they don't provide that type of gameplay the players want. mostly the maps are too big or just boring, like those battlefield spam maps ... where 10 people spam with plasmas ... that is not dynamic ... sago and 4ish provide that dynamic gameplay, players can use to have fun for hours

that voting thing won't work, ... i've tried for 8 years ...i wouldn't start that topic if there is no other way ...

yeah there are enough maps, but the most are shitty, so shitty that you have to change to many things to improve them,

ctf4ish, ... you just have to replace two weapons with q3radiant and save to oa_ctf4ishv2 .. and put it in the mappool, so it's provided to reach every player that downloads the game.

the people rather disconnect than waiting till a vote becomes successfull,

even that bot-warning: "stop it or you will be kicked" isn't a solution, it doenst work as it would work without those two weapons.

i hope you rely on my experience.

it's just a test, you do that change: i think it's a work for 30 minutes with every other depending thing you have to do (readme etc) and you will see, the people provide the Version 2 of 4ish on their servers, rather than that satanic map that just brings hate to the people on that server and stops them to capture a flag. and the players will be thankfull !!! definately !!! hahahahhahaha

it just a suggestion to make the OA scene happier.

and people are just satisfied with that map until the campers and bfg suckers connect ... thats mostly to rush hour times like evening or late afternoon ...

reallity shows that this map is so popular (definately not because of the rail and bfg) that it's still on the servers, played by people, that hope not to see the next camper or bfg lamer spaming all the time.

most people even don't know how to reach the bfg, they just play the possibilities on the ground, not wanting to reach godlike bfg power in the skies ....and that makes the map worth playing it.

personally, i don't complain about the campers and bfg spammers. i just play my game, but it sucks not to kill 5 people, because they have to chat, ask, callvote things and have a eye on the console than on the game... you can't stop it completely, just by taking that guns out of that map.

you would do a big favor to the scene, especially because the scene only consists of FFA and CTF, and in the CTF section (mostly) only of sago and 4ish ...  there are no other possibilites, the popularity shows ... the people show...most of the other maps are bullshit (it's a fact - if you don't believe: watch the servers)

yes there are a few servers with other maps, but there are only beginners, testing the game, before they get on a sago or 4ish map the first time ... then they see the dynamic of that great maps (until the campers arrive and people jump up to the bfg because they are frustrated Cheesy )

gn8

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 05:03:33 AM by [uM]Cyberdemon » Logged

Half unfeeling machine, half raging horned devil. This walking nightmare has a rocket launcher for an arm and will definitely reach out and touch you. Make sure you're loaded for bear before you get to this guy.
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 12:46:49 AM »

imo the bfg should be omitted. but the rail? that is the weapon that makes that map fun.

if you remove rail and bfg you have three weapons. you spawn with machinegun and shotgun and pickup the rocket launcher.
i don't see how any of the new weapons could replace the railgun and make the map better.

but i agree that the rail campers are boring. how about adding a trigger to the railgun so the platform flips when the rail is picked up? Wink
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 02:09:28 AM »

The boring point comes when people aim at you while you're not a particular threat nor in position to be railed, instead they cacacacamp and rail people randomly or worse, wait for their target to be in an easy-to-shoot position such as right after taking one of the bumpers.

I haven't played much with noghost, and haven't tried with this map, but it may be left as is if anti-camper mode was activated.

That said, I agree BFG is useless, but I don't see which weapon/item could come in place. A powerup maybe ? I don't have the list of items but that's an idea.

And oh, welcome on these forums Cyberdemon Wink

Todo: Walk the cat.
epicgoo

Cakes 5

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 02:17:27 AM »

THIS FORUM NEEDS MORE CAPS
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 02:24:34 AM »

yeh, not even flipendo used CAPSLOCK MODE
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 03:49:55 AM »

The joys of open source is that if you think something can be improved you have the power & the resources to change it.

The map sources are located at: www.openarena.ws/svn

You'll need GtkRadiant to edit the maps, there is also a good tutorial in the wiki on how to set up GtkRadiant properly.

Enjoy. Smiley
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 03:57:42 AM »

here's a solution for the bfg. each time you pull the trigger there's a 25% risk of the gun exploding. killing anyone using it Cheesy
[uM]Cyberdemon
Half-Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 04:49:10 AM »

ok people i see that i have to do it myself. ok now its gtkradiant, i used q3radiant years ago.

my suggestion is to put the railgun to the place where the bfg is, and to put the chaingun to the place where the railgun is.

if this doenst work (i will put the NEW 4ish map on the ultramaim.de page and on our server ULTRAMAIM RANGE) - especially the railgun thing - i'll replace the railgun with a personal teleporter  ...... so people who take the time on the jumppads to reach that position up in the sky may gain the powers of that useful item to save their guts before they touch the void Smiley

but nice to see you here caca und pulchr Smiley thank you for welcome reply Smiley

the ultramaim page should be done in about 3 weeks, so the new 4ish map will be uploaded then, too!

i hope you do some testing when it's done Smiley

i will definately waste my time on that server then to get some feedback ... our just in order to see if people still are more chatting than capturing those flags !!!

goood byeee
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 04:51:10 AM by [uM]Cyberdemon » Logged

[uM]Cyberdemon
Half-Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 04:59:22 AM »

ah yeah, now this map thing is done ... but

and try to think about

1) that STATS-function with the accuracy percentage of each weapon of each payer

and additionally (i saw that in a q2 based game called "sauerbraten")

2) an ITEM (health/armor/powerup) timer on the left side of the screen ...

thats not that important - i try to remember and calculate with the standard "cg_drawtimer 1" - timer, when i play

but that STATS function really would be nice ...

[uM]Cyberdemon
Half-Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 05:06:53 AM »

hmm the trigger wouldnt stop the campers, they just would jump off to the flag platform and go on with random railing....

but you are right, the railgun is a nice weapon ... but it can be raped like a drug on that map ...

perhaps only one railgun in the center of the map where you find the bfg may change the situation a bit ... i will change it and see

but thank you for your feedback on that issue

pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 05:12:38 AM »

here's another idea for the self-exploding bfg Cheesy

each time the weapon fires a shot the guns heats up. if you fire single shots with some delay they weapon can take the heat (it cools off just enough). but if you hold the trigger down and shoot several times in a row the weapon overheats and explodes.

i would just love a bfg explosion Cheesy
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 05:45:41 AM »

What about the Nailgun instead of BFG? Tongue
(Yeah, I'm a NailFan -?-)

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 06:43:51 AM »

I'd be okay for some tests of this map Wink
* Cacatoes dreams about changing a weapon by another with a simple .cfg server side ...

i would just love a bfg explosion
Oh please let me record the sound for it Tongue

damocles
Bigger member

Cakes 0

May cause drowsiness

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 01:07:58 AM »

Alternatively, \seta disable_weapon_bfg "1".  (You could even take away the railgun... or force a machinegun arena.)

Same for our beloved prox mine launcher.

Maybe not sold on the camping and complaining and callvoting, but then I haven't been outside very much.  (Could say the same for strafejumping or the like.)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 01:26:30 AM by damocles » Logged
kick52

Cakes -1

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2008, 02:07:19 AM »

I hate it when voting is enabled.

Why?

Because noobs callvote when they don't like the map (go to another fucking server, you asshole) and people abuse it and votespam.
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 04:03:51 AM »

Alternatively, \seta disable_weapon_bfg "1".  (You could even take away the railgun... or force a machinegun arena.)

Same for our beloved prox mine launcher.

Maybe not sold on the camping and complaining and callvoting, but then I haven't been outside very much.  (Could say the same for strafejumping or the like.)

Didn't even know that one, it seems I should check better what our dear engine can do Wink Thanks.

[uM]Cyberdemon
Half-Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2008, 05:31:55 AM »

ah cool, also didnt know that --- thats a solution Smiley but i would be sad, watching that lonely platform, strafing in the darkness, without a job !!! Cheesy

aantipop
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2008, 01:42:48 PM »

you can replace items with noghost mod:
set replace_[item_type]_[item_name] [item_type]_[item_name]
   See the items.txt file that is in the configs directory of the NoGhost ip file.  It contains all the appropriate item names and item types required.  For instance, to replace the railgun with the rocket launcher in your arena, you'd type set replace_weapon_railgun weapon_rocketlauncher in your console..  Also for example, to replace the mega health with the quad damage, you'd type set replace_item_health_mega item_quad in your console.
[uM]Cyberdemon
Half-Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 01:47:39 PM »

i just found the oa_ctf4ish.map file few days ago and edited it. it's available on [ultraMaim.de]HOLYCRAP CTF server (online again: monday 15th dec). i replaced the railguns with plasmaguns and the bfg with a railgun. so you can still use the rail but it's harder to reach and only one Smiley.
first i wanted to replace the railgun with a chaingun and wanted to put a personal teleporter to the opposite side of the new rail location on that moving platform, but i haven't found any entitie-entry in the list.

now that i'm able to do so, i want to make a second version of oa_ctf4ish including the chaingun changes. but i am not able to find the oa_ctf4ish.map file in the svn directory again Smiley. i am not sure where i found it few days ago, but i am quite sure that it was openarena.ws/svn . nethertheless i can't find a .map file, only the .ass and .bsp files

has somebody any idea?

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 01:52:03 PM »

The entity is holdable_teleporter.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
[uM]Cyberdemon
Half-Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2008, 02:16:53 PM »

thanx!

and where in svn can i find the .map file of oa_ctf4ish. i was there but i can't see it anymore!

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2008, 02:30:59 PM »

In the same place where the other .map files are: http://openarena.ws/svn/source/assets/maps
^^

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2008, 05:17:55 AM »

And while you're at it, you may also consider this : http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=2519.0 Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: