Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: q3dm6ish v3: Castlegrounds (plus CTF version)  (Read 82974 times)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« on: November 02, 2008, 09:05:11 PM »

I've rethought of this, and decided to redo them from scratch as well. The original q3dm6ish had many BSP errors, and I've fixed these. However, the maps are just "stretched-up" versions, and I wasn't too pleased with them.

Well, I was working in this since TRaK's textures have been removed, but I stopped until the final decision was made. Now, with 0.8.1 and the SP idea, I've finished the retexturing of this map, almost based on the work I had on am_galmevish, and this is the "final" work. Hope you like it. ^^

The name Castlegrounds come from the mix of Sago's Castle and Campgrounds. In my SP, this map is the place of the final battle against TiMaster, at TiMaster's Fortress on Planet Sago -yes, that's the name of the planet Tongue- where Sago's Castle -now TiMaster's Fortress- is. ^^

Below are the old versions, available for download.

Main changes:
- Texture replacement
- Jump platform changed
- All items now are on the floor
- Most info_player_start/deathmatch are on the floor also
- Changed name of the map from "q3dm6ish by aardappel" to "Castlegrounds by aardappel and Armageddon_Man" ^^

EDIT: New version w/screens here.

Changes:
- Tried to optimize geometry (and got a BSP hole as a prize -.-)
- New lightning
- Retexturized trims and jump platforms.

EDIT2: New version. Fully clipped, hinted, fixed, patched, and with redone stairs. ^^ Here are the screenshots:

EDIT3: New direct link, thanks to onykage. Hope you like it. Smiley

EDIT4: Map comes back. Cheesy Main changes are that it's now half of the CTF map, so it implies all of the changes made to bases and middle area, plus white lights instead of colored ones. (I took the red side) Also, I've added a bit of detail, and changed almost all weapon & item placement. The only item which remains in its original place is Quad Damage. (b1)

EDIT5: Map scaled 2x. (b2)

EDIT6: Fixed stair bug after scaling. (b3)

* Weapons: Shotgun, Grenade Launcher, Rocket Launcher x2, Lightning Gun, Railgun and Plasma Gun.
* Items: Quad Damage & Yellow Armor,  Megahealth, Red Armor, and the obvious ones. (Shards, Mid-Large health)
* Gametypes: FFA, TDM, 1on1, Elimination, LMS.

Current version: g1
Download

CTF version coming soon...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:45:26 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
PsYthe
Lesser Nub

Cakes 8

Obey 37.

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 09:44:29 PM »

Looking at the screenshots (I played this ingame too)

Screenshot 1's general area is pretty dark, otherwise good

Screenshot 2 shows the edges of the floor that is raised up (Is this called a trim?), I don't like the texture that is used, it kinda doesn't fit in well. I think that's a gothic_block texture, I would recommend a gothic_floor or other sort of good texture...

Same with screenshot 3, trimming doesn't look very good

I saw some z-fighting (overlapping brushes) on one wall, one of the metal lines going around the walls.

In the center area (as in screenshot 3), if you go into the corner of the bottom floor (rightmost on the screenshot), it does something weird. Donno why.

I also suggest making the jump pads red (to go along with all those red lights) or using a different texture...

Aside from problems, it looks much better than V1 and better than V2. A good theme for its type. Great job

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 09:46:46 PM »

Yes, that texture was a pain in the ass and I didn't know on how to replace it.
I will replace it later.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 11:11:34 PM »

A brighter sky would be a good idea.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 09:35:34 PM »

Brighter sky as day? asd
Anyway, I attach a new version. I tried to reduce geometry and replaced the old trim with a new one, but I'm not convinced with the result. :/
Before someone says it, yes, there's a HoM at one of the stairs. -.-

Changes:
- Tried to optimize geometry (and got a BSP hole as a prize -.-)
- New lightning
- Retexturized trims and jump platforms.

I hate this map now. ¬¬
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 07:55:38 AM by Armageddon_Man » Logged

cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 03:09:00 AM »

Besides the things PsiScythe mentioned I found the lightning difficult as it looks way too bright and boring with no shading. Contrast of shadows is too high too. How many bounces did you do on -light stage?

Trims are better now but there are still a few issues.

I never liked any version of q3dm6ish as it's size is unproportional compared to the original. The whole map should be twice as high. There are no patch meshes and the whole thing feels claustrophic. Wink

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 04:42:48 AM »

Well, AFAIK the idea wasn't to make it like the original one.
I've got an idea for the stairs to delete HoMs, but I'll implement it tonight.
Also, I think I'll do the entire weapon placement again. -.-

(Don't fear, I won't include Nailgun, besides I'm a "Nailgun fan" Cheesy)

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 09:46:33 AM »

Updated map, I'll be posting screenshots later.
Redone stairs, clipping, hinting and caulking also are done.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 06:56:09 AM »

New direct link. Thanks, of course, to onykage. ^^

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 06:22:07 AM »

I've uploaded CTF version of this map. Hope you like it, and please, comment and feedback. ^^

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 03:25:31 PM »

Updated CTF version, this is almost final. For final to be, comment, please. Smiley Once I've finished with CTF version, I'll improve DM one.

Changes:
- Redone all ceilings. Removed center ceiling.
- Remade flag bases. I forgot to include a texture which isn't with the game.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 04:44:27 PM »

I want to finish this map. Any suggestions before I commit it?
I'm working on the CTF version, after I finish it, I'll do the DM part based on half of the map.

PsYthe
Lesser Nub

Cakes 8

Obey 37.

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 05:55:40 PM »

Awesome, looks like a fun layout for ctf. Good.

I don't like how some jump pads are launch pad textures (I think the ones in the center are launch pads), it doesn't make much sense to me. Also, the flag podium/base/whatever's don't look good imo. The texture seems odd.

And are you using -vis compiles for your maps? galmevish and this one both draw EVERYTHING in the screen (r_showtris 1) instead of just what you can see. Gives a low fps. I think the -vis part fixes that.

Other than that stuff I really like it.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 05:59:39 PM »

Yes, center ones are launchpads. I guess I'll make some more colors and shaders for that class of jumppad textures, now that I have all source textures of the SVN.
I'll use normal settings with all of my maps. I need to learn more on q3map2:

Code:
"C:\Archivos de programa\GtkRadiant 1.5.0\q3map2.exe" -fs_basepath "F:\OpenArena" -fs_game "baseoa" -game "oa" "F:\OpenArena\baseoa\maps\q3dm6ish-ctf.map"
"C:\Archivos de programa\GtkRadiant 1.5.0\q3map2.exe" -fs_basepath "F:\OpenArena" -fs_game "baseoa" -game "oa" -vis "F:\OpenArena\baseoa\maps\q3dm6ish-ctf.map"
"C:\Archivos de programa\GtkRadiant 1.5.0\q3map2.exe" -fs_basepath "F:\OpenArena" -fs_game "baseoa" -game "oa" -light -v "F:\OpenArena\baseoa\maps\q3dm6ish-ctf.map"
"C:\Archivos de programa\GtkRadiant 1.5.0\bspc.exe" -bsp2aas "F:\OpenArena\baseoa\maps\q3dm6ish-ctf.bsp"

EDIT: It seems like jumppad textures weren't with the sourced ones. I guess I'll have to replace them with other ones.
Ah, and with the flag base, I used a pentagram one, but I thought it was included with OA, and it wasn't.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 06:48:43 PM by Armageddon_Man » Logged

feLiZ_naVidAD
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 06:27:26 PM »

Nice!!
dm6ish has been one of the maps i always vote on servers v3 looks nice!

And im eager to play the cft... It looks like is going to be great!!!

(I tried both with bots Smiley)

PD: Im desingning some map inspired in dm6 too now (just inspired, not a remake) but mine is even far from alpha state Smiley

Whatever i say in this post is true unless fromhell said otherway. In that case I disagree with what I just wrote. I meant to write what fromhell said.
-------
I also would like to add that im not a chick. I use this model coz i like the thong of the sorceress when i die (witch rarely happens) Smiley
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 10:42:53 AM »

I have several dark areas when playing it with vertex lightning.
I know from OA's standards, working with vertex is a bonus, but maybe there is something simple to do to solve it.

Here is a screenshot : http://download.tuxfamily.org/openarena/files/screenshots/c/shot0000.tga

Todo: Walk the cat.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 01:13:19 PM »

Uploaded new version of CTF one. Also updated screenshots, as always. Tongue

Cacatoes I haven't saw your image yet, anyways, I thought vertex lighting was removed from 0.8.0, so I've compiled it with lightmaps in mind.

BTW, which version do you have played? DM or CTF? Because I'm working a lot ATM with CTF version, after I finish it, I'll do the DM one.

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 01:43:16 PM »

That was the DM one, and I forgot to say : CTF version doesn't have this problem, but maybe it looks a bit weird, I should test them with normal lightning.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2008, 01:50:53 PM »

When I finish CTF version, I'll do DM one from one of the bases.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2008, 04:01:04 PM »

Uploading new version... DONT DOWNLOAD NOTHING UNTIL I SAY!!!

- Stairs in flag bases and flag base bridge have been changed. Stair between flag level and RL level has been enlarged, so there isn't now the stucking problem. Same with the other stair, from bottom floor to flag level, except this one is narrow. Also redone is the bridge, a bit narrowed, so you can't get to Railgun by jumping from the bridge. You have to get to Railgun from the jump platform. Also, some brushes have been deleted and redone.

EDIT: I almost forgot it, so I'm recompiling with this new change:
- Ceiling raised.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 05:13:14 PM by Armageddon_Man » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2008, 06:39:09 PM »

Uploaded map, you can download it from the link at the first post.
Caca should be uploading this version soon.

Screenshots are uploading now.

EDIT: I forgot to change a light in blue base. I'll do that later.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 06:47:34 PM by Armageddon_Man » Logged

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2008, 07:59:22 PM »

Could you check the zip file of your CTF version ?

md5sum: 325adc363c097ee02bd0d8e5b434c397  q3dm6ish-ctf.zip
Length: 1,555,711 (1.5M) [application/zip]

Maybe it got uploaded wrong, I got some error when unzipping.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2008, 08:00:46 PM »

Crap -.-
Reuploading file. I'll check the others as well...

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2008, 08:15:25 PM »

Try now.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2009, 10:47:39 AM »

New version with changes, coming soon...

- Fixed a blue light misplaced at red base. It'll be red light now.
- Fixed stairs. Long stair from flag level to LG is wider. Also, I've replaced white brick textures with other in all stair slopes. I've removed some walls in the stair which goes from Shotgun to Flag level.
- Added some windows and doors. Just aesthetic changes.
- Compiled map with -scale 1.33
- Rehinted the map, with what I've learnt by hinting Hydronex2. I hope it won't draw the entire map again... -.-

EDIT: Forget about the hint, I don't know how to hint it. -.-
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 04:08:32 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: