Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My Announcer  (Read 26868 times)
BenDrake
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: January 06, 2009, 01:29:38 AM »

Well, just got done playing about 6 hours of open arena at a LAN party last friday and I made this announcer to go with it. Not that the default one is bad it's just kinda low quality. Anyways it's here.

Also, If it were to be included in the game I don't know how free it has to be. I mean I used a commercial program to add effects to it so I don't know if that's allowed as long as I release them GPL'ed because It can never be truly cost-free (I did have to buy the Microphone to record them with). Also, I would like to contribute music at some point but most of the samples I use are creative commons.
Noob Sauce
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 03:56:52 PM »

Well, just got done playing about 6 hours of open arena at a LAN party last friday and I made this announcer to go with it. Not that the default one is bad it's just kinda low quality. Anyways it's here.

Also, If it were to be included in the game I don't know how free it has to be. I mean I used a commercial program to add effects to it so I don't know if that's allowed as long as I release them GPL'ed because It can never be truly cost-free (I did have to buy the Microphone to record them with). Also, I would like to contribute music at some point but most of the samples I use are creative commons.

Also, unless you built your computer from raw materials it's not true cost-free. It doesn't matter what programs you use, the end result is yours to use as you wish.
fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 04:50:29 PM »

These are amazing :O

I also find problems with the quality in the sounds. My hardware isn't working as it should but when everything is optimum I hear horrible hiss from the hit sound but not noticable much using the default windows processor.

Is there any reason you included all the other flag sounds? I try to keep the file size down as much as possible so will upload these to a server and try them.
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 05:44:26 PM »

very nice!

i did like the sound of them.

how about going away from the quake 3 "over manly" voice and let a girl do the announcing - and i do not mean she should have a sexy voice as that always sound silly Smiley
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 06:33:36 PM »

Maybe multi-announcers like UT2004 has? Two male announcers and two female announcers, and the ability to add more. Announcers can be changed by a cvar.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
BenDrake
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 10:38:57 PM »

very nice!

i did like the sound of them.

how about going away from the quake 3 "over manly" voice and let a girl do the announcing - and i do not mean she should have a sexy voice as that always sound silly Smiley
Well, thank you.

I kind of agree with that. You mean like the other one in UT2004 or perhaps the one from Team Fortress 2? I might know some people that could do that.
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 11:59:13 PM »

A simpler idea is to mix them. In the past I used hellchicks announcer files with the default ones (to limits the download size). I tried this with yours and sounded good so I will use them. I converted them to mono which ofc reduced the depth of the effects but for the average player this is not very noticable.
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 09:15:53 AM »

So how did you get the stereo samples working in game?
BenDrake
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 12:48:37 PM »

So how did you get the stereo samples working in game?

I basically just opened up pak6-misc.pk3 with winrar, went to the sound folder and copied my two folders over setting the update mode to "Add & Replace".
schlorri
i lurk the board index every minute!!!!
Lesser Nub

Cakes -51

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 07:37:40 AM »

Hi,

your Announcer is great, in my opinion much better than the "original". But i think  its a little bit to quiet.
The Announcer works only when openal is used.
You can download the Announcer here http://rapidshare.com/files/230217889/z-announcer.pk3.html in a pk3 file. (no problems with pure servers then)

schlorri

-Join #aftershock in quakenet
-Visit the statspage http://oaunofficial.exulo.de/index.php
-Visit us on sourceforge http://sourceforge.net/projects/as-fps/
Wotvid
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 01:49:08 PM »

Help!!

Ive extracted the files and copyed them into baseoa, but they arent playing

What do i do??
schlorri
i lurk the board index every minute!!!!
Lesser Nub

Cakes -51

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 04:02:05 PM »

Download the pk3 i posted above and place it in the baseoa directory.

Have fun!

-Join #aftershock in quakenet
-Visit the statspage http://oaunofficial.exulo.de/index.php
-Visit us on sourceforge http://sourceforge.net/projects/as-fps/
Wotvid
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 01:17:56 PM »

I downloaded that file, but they still appear as wave sound files

Help?!!!!
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 02:09:26 PM »

You put the pk3 as it is at the baseoa directory. You don't extract nothing.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
NeutrinoX
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

lol, furfag

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 12:18:04 PM »

Err, sorry to bring this topic back to life but, when I tried to download the announcer .pk3 from the link schlorri gave, I'm getting a download limit reached message. And for the OP's file, I can't download it either. Could anyone reupload it somewhere so I can give it a try, please? (.pk3 would be best to avoid conflicts with pure servers)

Something, something, yeah. Sig is WIP, for ever
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 12:26:31 PM »

I'll see if I have that file. (I'm pretty sure I have it)

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 11:54:05 AM »

The uploads are dead..??
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: