Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Music choices  (Read 17715 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« on: May 06, 2009, 02:44:35 AM »

OA SVN has at least 10 songs for maps to use. Problem is, hardly any maps in OA use songs at all. Another problem is that to change the music in them i'd have to recompile them completely. That would suck.

Also another problem is I don't have a good musical touch to decide which map should use what song, so i'm going to need some community help on the decisions.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 03:37:22 AM »

You should be able to change the music without recompiling (bsp light vis) each map.  Use q3map2 to extract the entities, edit it with a decent text editor (not NOTEPAD), and stick it back in.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 10:09:50 PM »

I can suggest X music for Y map, but I need to listen more to them, the problem is that almost all songs have the same notes.
For example, I think that OA01 can be the main theme of OA and the music for, for example, oa_dm1(v2 Cheesy) and aggressor.

You should be able to change the music without recompiling (bsp light vis) each map.  Use q3map2 to extract the entities, edit it with a decent text editor (not NOTEPAD), and stick it back in.

Exactly. I'd use Notepad++ to do this, guiding me with the .map files. I've found this guide so far, modified a (huge) bit:

1. Open the bsp file and search for the string worldspawn. Copy from the first { near to the word worldspawn until where the entities end. Copy, close the bsp file and paste this content in a new file. This new file should be placed in the same folder as the bsp file and be named the same, with the .ent extension. (For example, if the map you're adding music is czest1dm, the file czest1dm.ent should be placed in the same folder than czest1dm.bsp)
2. Open the .ent file, and add the line "music" "music/OA12" before "classname" "worldspawn".
3. Save the file.
4. Run Q3MAP2.EXE with the following options: "Q3MAP2 -onlyents <mapname>.ent". Q3MAP2 should say something like:

outputfile: czest1dm.bsp
    --- LoadMapFile ---
    czes1dm.ent
    0 brushes
    102 entities // this will vary depending on the number of entities your map has
    0 miptex
    0 texinfo
    Updating entities lump...
    0.1 seconds elapsed

http://www.planetfortress.com/tvote/docs/ee_tutorial.htm (Heavily modified by Neon_Knight.

In that way I've added DOM support for the maps czest1dm, oa_koth2 and sleekgrinder.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 09:02:09 AM by |TXC| Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 02:50:58 AM »

Wouldn't be an easier task if the engine selects and plays background music on the maps?

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
jukeboxhero
Nub

Cakes 1

...stars in my eyes...

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 01:22:16 AM »

I think it would be better if there is an 'OFF' option for music. Listening to the same music/tune/melody for 8+ hours a day will make me go crazy! Cheesy

Just my 0.02 Wink

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 01:49:04 AM »

I think it would be better if there is an 'OFF' option for music.
/seta cg_music silence

There are nothing offending in my posts.
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 04:37:09 AM »

Like Graion Dilach said it would be more interesting if we have music playing track after track instead the same title over and over in a map. I know the latter is an easy approach but boring and annoying.

Even more interesting would be a dynamic playback regarding to various factors like your current health/armor ratio, frags per minute, remaining time, distance to cover for capture, your scoreboard position, powerup (quad, haste, flight, invisibility), killing spree Wink

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 04:45:46 AM »

The music adds nothing to the map if it is just played from a playlist... then I could just let my music player run in the background. The music should fit the level.

The problem I see is that all current music files have the same style. They might fit industrial maps but not i.e. medieval or outdoor space maps.

cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 05:21:58 AM »

The question is if a certain music track has to add more to a map. Like your ctf map, sago, it is played in an obsessive manner. I doubt players will keep listen to it for hours and do not mute music.
Maybe it is better if the music adds to the game instead of just a map.

The music tracks by jute are short and in my opinion some fit spacemaps (like OA06.ogg). Remembering Q3A music choice was pretty much themed equally.

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 05:30:46 AM »

Remembering Q3A music choice was pretty much themed equally.
I believe the same thing could be said about the maps.

I never player more Q3A. I played Unreal Tournament instead and there was a very big difference between the music tracks, especially space maps with low gravity got a lower beat music track to fit the slower movement. Of course there was a bigger difference in themes in UT but so there is in OA.

cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 05:36:16 AM »

True. We have got a bigger palette of map themes. On the other hand it is possible to have low gravity maps in OA too but I do not think players are pleased with that idea. So spacemaps are as fast or even faster than industrial/gothic themed counterparts.

jukeboxhero
Nub

Cakes 1

...stars in my eyes...

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 10:15:38 PM »

Thnx for the tip, sago!

[/quote]
/seta cg_music silence
[/quote]
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 10:21:26 PM »

I love UT2004's music, I agree with sago on the difference of song themes by map. I told that to jute long time ago, the songs he made had good riffage, but these played almost as the same song and that way these felt very "empty" in my opinion.

Going back to UT2004, DM-Rankin (which was an abandoned industrial facility) with a strict industrial-style song and ONS-Torlan (set on a jungle) with a song which incorporates lots of percussive instruments are examples which came in my mind. LOL! I even remember playing Torlan's song while playing Age of Empires, it really makes that game feels in another way.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 02:22:49 AM »

Music by jute equals Sonic Mayhem: themed but not referential to any map theme. In the end we HAVE music and should be proud of jute. Cheesy

What choices do we have?
Back to 1999 and single track endless loop?
UT music was neat but for me the tracks of Painkiller were better by far regarding to surroundings and action. UT always sounded too artificial. Discussing about the soundtracks of Digital Extremes games does not help us.

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 12:23:22 PM »

I don't like map music:
-annoyying, but that's personal
-you can't listen to own music
-if you want to play good you need to hear footsteps and other sound made by players around you

I know you can put it off, but it still would be nice if there is no sound at all.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 03:42:32 PM »

I don't like map music:
-annoyying, but that's personal
-you can't listen to own music
-if you want to play good you need to hear footsteps and other sound made by players around you

I know you can put it off, but it still would be nice if there is no sound at all.
Carmack would have dismissed you if you worked on Id and said that in front of him before Q3 gets released.

You can disable music too in your config, BTW.

If you are there but don't like to help with this... then go away from this topic. Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: