Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: oa_bod: Better Off Dead (originally by sp1r1t)  (Read 15218 times)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« on: July 03, 2009, 12:30:30 PM »

Finished part of the work on this great map by sp1r1t. I've used the version which was located in the OA SVN. I've included some missing evillair's textures (nicked from Nexuiz) which were needed for this map. The remaining replacement textures were made by me, using OA stuff. (I'm a Photoshop newb tho -.-)

Changes: (a1)
- Texture replacements of non-free packs.

Changes: (a2)
- Replaced crates
- Fixed some overlapping brushes
- Replaced portals
- Compiled without -gamma setting. Now the level looks good.
- Fixed texture issues on various patches.
- Fixed a problem near one of the jumppads.

I won't be adding or removing any item/weapon/powerup here, except by request.

Things to do:
- Caulking of the level, using the method I've used on oa_dm1.
- Clipping.
- Hinting.
- Botplay optimization.
- Changing of the fog shader near the Railgun. This one is too dense.
- More spawnpoints. Specially for TDM.
- Removing of unneeded textures.

Screenshots:

* Original map: sp1r1t
  * Modifications: Neon_Knight
  * Textures: evillair (nicked from Nexuiz) and Neon_Knight (using OA stuff)

« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 09:33:42 AM by |TXC| Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 01:02:46 PM »

Map uploaded, enjoy. ^^

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 02:11:16 PM »

Enjoyed.

The outfit feels a bit weird for me. I identified some textures... I'll used to it. But the map is good. Oh, and on some boxes, the OpenArena Series 1337 insignia is mirrored. I don't consider it as a feature, sorry.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 02:15:11 PM »

Yes, I'll consider the "mirrored" OAS1337 as a thing to fix. Maybe those boxes will end as models. There's a lot of fixing to be done in this map.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 04:38:03 PM »

Uploaded the sources. Check first post for them.

cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 06:27:33 AM »

This map was unknown to me and I do not know why you chose it to convert. Maybe your job on retexturing was done too quickly. For me there are endless boring flat textured maze-like corridors. I get a quake1 feeling and I have to confess I never liked q1 deathmatch maps.
For me you screwed lighting too. Check this map with vertex lightning: you won't see any difference. There is no mood, no shadows, no ambience. I see your attempt to create unique rooms by applying different textures to them.

Neon_Knight, do not take it personal. I am a fan of your previous work but I do not like this one.
Maybe it is just my first impression. People, enlighten me if the map provides fun that is not obvious at the first glance.

You have an z-fighting issue: go through one of the easy accessible teleporters (the one without water), fall down, turn left by 90° and look to the ceiling.

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 07:03:16 AM »

I know it's nothing personal. Wink

Aside the retexturing (I didn't liked the textures I've made too, took them as placeholders, that's not my strongest point Sad that's why I've said I would need help with texturizing in the MCOA mappack thread) and some corrections, I didn't do anything else.
I've compiled the map with the same settings I've used on the other maps as well.

PS: The map came from that pack, the same pack which has pvomit, shine and shouse.

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 05:21:46 PM »

I've compiled the map with the same settings I've used on the other maps as well.
You should turn down gamma in your compile arguments. sp1r1t has placed enough light sources in the map to keep it light without compile switches.

I had to turn my r_gamma down to 0.8 to get a fully lit but not hurting my eyes map. At r_gamme 0.7 all I still had no problem seeing the bots. Players fully visible and not more at r_gamma 1.0 should be the goal.

I had to see what resulted in the big file size. It was caused by lots of new textures and that is nice but the following textures looks extremely repetitive to me and I think that they could do with a 128x128 version:

/textures/sweltdm4/rust01
/textures/sweltdm4/mtldrk
and
/textures/mkoxide/floor

I know that large textures helps to not make it look tiled. But these textures already looks sorta tiled.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 01:25:15 PM »

Uploaded a2. Done by now: (I couldn't stand with myself)

- Replaced crates
- Fixed some overlapping brushes
- Replaced portals
- Compiled without -gamma setting. Now the level looks good.
- Fixed texture issues on various patches.
- Fixed a problem near one of the jumppads.

It would be a waste of time and space to reinclude the sources, so this time the only source included is the .map file. The rest are nonthemore and nonetheless than the same a1 sources.

EDIT: Screens uploaded.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 01:54:10 PM by |TXC| Neon_Knight » Logged

Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 03:51:32 PM »

IDK if the fog used in the map is the same used in CTF_Compromise ....

anyway since cosmo just removed it from his map (http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=1234.msg26616#msg26616) , is it possible to have it removed also in this map ? I'm talking about that bit of fog near the railgun that makes models disappearing  , expecially the brightskins.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 05:49:41 PM »

It isn't the same. (Cosmo has done his own fog shader) But anyways, maybe the fog used in that particular area of the map is too dense. (I've discovered that it's the same as the one used on q3tourney5) It works as a death fog, but as a normal fog it's very dense. I'll replace it later, or make a less-dense ersion of the fog for that area.

NetMassimo
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 05:06:10 AM »

I tried it only now and I really liked it. Thank you for your contribution!

Ciao Smiley
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: