Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FPS problem  (Read 12340 times)
Kaboom397
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: December 30, 2009, 08:10:28 AM »

I have problem with FPS in Open Arena. Even with the minimal settings game is very slow.

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40 GHz
Redeon 9000 Family
1, 25 GB RAM

What is it caused by??
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 08:23:38 AM »

Are you using Windows? If you are then check that the game receives the required amount of CPU power via the Task Manager.

Also, which version of OA? 0.8.1? Because there are still plenty outdated players...

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
Kaboom397
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 09:19:05 AM »

Yes, I use the last version.

Open arena wiki says that minimal requirements ase Pentium II 233MHz but when i opan OA and then i check windows manager it shows that my CPU is used in 100%.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 10:30:09 AM »

ioquake3 is know to eat much of CPU ressources, I think I too have 100% used when playing OA, it should run fine anyway.

What is your fps actually ? Try /cg_drawfps 1 and tell us.

Also, you didn't tell which O.S. you use. Oh, windows manager ... okay.

Have you got some software which could interfere with how OA runs, or something like Dual Screen activated ?What if you disable OpenAL in game options ?

Todo: Walk the cat.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 10:47:47 AM »

The 25GB of ram is causing serious memory address issues, I advise taking out all your sticks and leave in at least 512MB of ram

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 02:34:00 PM »

I think he meant 1.25 GB. Some countries use , in the decimals. For example, mine. That shouldn't be the problem, I think.

Hmm.... the other clients worth a try?

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 03:12:20 PM »

Did you mean... 1GB (or 2x512 MB) + 256 MB?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 03:23:25 PM »

Well, that sounds far more realistic than 25 GB RAM in a PC, doesn't it?

Yes, that's what I mean. But what Kaboom means... that's another question.

Also, I thought about something. Is software rendering possible in idTech 3? And is it possible that OA somewhy putted itself into that mode? That'd answer the framedrop.

EDIT: Forget it, it can't, I remember, when my P4's video card cooked in the computer, I couldn't play OA. The card just showed the image, it didn't do anything on his own. And OpenGL didn't work either. But sotware-rendering things did work at that time.

It was amazing, because that card died during an OA match, and the walls became rendered with green lines on them... it was funny and interesting first.

Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 04:21:21 PM »

The 25GB of ram is causing serious memory address issues, I advise taking out all your sticks and leave in at least 512MB of ram

I think he meant 1.25 GB as someone else already wrote ... anyway it should be not a problem simply because Windows32 ( and every normal 32bit OS ) can address only the first 3GB of memory .

Linux 32bit can support till 64GB of RAM , but the kernel needs to be compiled with the relative support.

Kaboom397
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 04:49:46 PM »

I meant 1 GB RAM + 256 MB RAM

I use Windows XP

With minimal settings (everything is off, video mode is 300x200, textures quality is the lowest) my FPS is 10-15. With normal settings (and video mode 1024x768) I have 1 frame per second.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 05:47:16 PM »

Do you even have accelleration? this is software rendering, so install a Radeon9000 driver.

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 02:25:54 PM »

GPU Drivers??? That is the very first thing to check! Kaboom397, do you know which gpu/video card you have? If so, do you know if you have drivers installed? If not, do so (google: drivers download model+type and look for the official site like nvidia.com). If you already have installed them I find it really weird that you can't run oa.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 12:36:31 PM »

Redeon 9000 Family

The latest catalyst windows drivers don't support anymore the radeon 9000 ( r2xx chipset ) family.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 12:42:40 PM »

No problem, since when you deal with Windows, you got a kernel and window system that actually works with old drivers. Cheesy

Install this
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/radeon-prer300-xp.aspx

I assum eyou use XP due to mentioning of a Window Manager with CPU reading.

Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 03:25:10 PM »

No problem, since when you deal with Windows, you got a kernel and window system that actually works with old drivers. Cheesy

Install this
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/radeon-prer300-xp.aspx

I assum eyou use XP due to mentioning of a Window Manager with CPU reading.

(Just in case this is directed vs me ) ... sure , of course I use windows , with LUKS and strong swap encryption , with btrfs filesystem live  snapshots support .... all over a KVM accessed via TCP ( of course ).

I know that the latest catalyst drivers don't work because it's the same for linux .
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: