Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: industrial/electronica - type music  (Read 23902 times)
alokin
Nub

Cakes 6

« on: February 16, 2010, 11:11:25 AM »

Hello. I have been playing OA for years, and I decided to write a little piece that I think would go great in the game (I've listened to it in-game too).

http://alokinnollahwe.com/saturn/albums/electralbum/electronic4.2.ogg

It works really well on loop too, in-game.

But what is the status of music for OA? Are there optional music packages? Because I do not see any music in the game currently, and it should at least be an option.

Thanks

Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 11:55:22 AM »

Hi, welcome to the boards Wink! WOW great music! I also checked your other tunes on your website, you have a lot of talents, so many genres and all of them are cool. I saw you mainly license your work under CC-BY and sometimes under GPLv3. OA uses GPLv2, could you release the tracks you plan for OA under GPLv2 too? You could also post some of the pieces to OpenGameArt. Just a small note: some of your tracks don't have an ogg format (404 error) only mp3.

The status of music in OA is the following: Jute's tracks (what you already checked) are already in the SVN repository. But we haven't decided which tracks should go where, and the maps need to reference the specific music pieces. The next release of OA (0.8.5) is a somewhat small patch, the music will probably come with 0.9.0.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
alokin
Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 09:38:42 PM »

I will license all my music for OA under GPLv2, that is no problem. My site is not very well constructed right now, but I will work on that too.

Jute's tracks are very cool, and it is good that music will come with 0.9.0. I would like to make a few more electronic tracks to fit the game, to give more variety (not all metal).

Does the game plan to use a jukebox or loop?

Thanks
alokin
Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 03:16:05 PM »

I have a new version of the song, with a proper intro and a recorded bass and guitar:

http://alokinnollahwe.com/saturn/misc/OA-1.1.mp3

It needs more mixing and mastering, but I'll get on that. I am working on a second sketch now too. Let me know what you think!
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 02:30:30 PM »

I'd gladly give it a go... if I could download it. But both Firefox and Orbit Downloader failed. (Orbit is just connecting, Firefox resulted a blank file).

Forgive me, but this makes making opinions very tough.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
alokin
Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 06:05:26 PM »

My server was off for a while :\ Should work now. In case not, I've tried to attach it..
alokin
Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 06:09:54 PM »

As a last resort, 98.243.169.172/saturn/misc/OA-1.1.mp3
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 02:24:07 AM »

It's awesome! The game loops one track for a map, maybe the intro is a little bit long for that, or maybe you should remove the silence at the end so it's not so obvious where it ends and begins. I was surprised that you added a guitar and bass, since you said it's going to be more electro than metal, but it ended up being great.

Could you do a track with a dominant and fast drum part something like a drum & bass or jungle track? It could have a massive bass sound to fill the track and make it heavy with some high noises to make it interesting. Maybe some rhythm changes too, but not so often. I was thinking about something like Distimia - Can't Stop, just a little more mainstream, breakcore is not the kind of music everyone likes Tongue.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 09:51:19 AM »

Well, I'm not a big fan of these nosy resonant synth sounds, they are too recognizable of a cheap computer synth from which we play midi notes. Other than that it's okay-ish. Just my opinion.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 10:57:43 AM »

Actually, that's what I like in those sounds. They have a retro feeling. Also, I love Dance.

Good one. But the engine doesn't handle mp3. It'll need a converting to ogg... and sources.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
alokin
Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 09:15:22 PM »

I will update the song a bit, and work on a drum+base-y song in the meantime. I will also make the final version an ogg, and supply the source for it.

The synths are actually created in Mbuttive, and are not cheap midi samples at all, but I did try to get a retro deathmatch feel to them.

Thanks for all your feedback, I'll get right to work!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 08:44:59 PM by alokin » Logged
alokin
Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 08:46:25 PM »

I will not be able to work on more music until next week (when school ends for the semester).

Are there tracks for each level? Is that the goal?
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 07:01:59 AM »

Best thing would be to let the mappers choose which music they want to use for their map from a song pool. Otherwise if some music gives some moods (being thematic) then they would also fit some particular kind of maps (i.e: futuristic music for space maps)
I was a bit severe in my previous post, but I have very particular tastes and have turned quite exigent on music production (including my own, that means I'd say everything I do sucks, heh).
Don't hold yourself from producing Wink

We can use one song several times, and actually I think the only contributor was Jute Gyte, whose songs are not yet included.
A current limitation is we have to build maps with the path of the song in it, that means once they are built we can't easily change that song, I wish it could be more flexible.

Todo: Walk the cat.
alokin
Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 02:01:20 PM »

In that case, I will write several songs and show them in here. I haven't written anything lately because it's been the last few weeks of school, and finals have kept me busy. The semester is over though, so expect several tunes from me popping up here.

Question: do you prefer the previous song with or without the guitar/bass? I'm having the feeling it was better without.
alokin
Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 02:04:29 PM »

Here is a sketch I am working on:

http://alokinnollahwe.com/saturn/gamemusic/openarena/sketches/OA2.1.mp3

It is about 30% done, and I like the industrial feel of it. Let me know what you think!
Bane

Cakes 5

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 05:28:03 PM »

It sounds like that part in a slash flick where the guy is about to pop out and kill some one blended with the original DOOM video game type music you probably where not trying for this but this is what it sounds like to me and I must say I like it seems like it would fit a large map industrial like the abandon base map.
alokin
Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 08:48:51 PM »

Thanks, I really like the industrial feel of the song. Here is the current version:

http://alokinnollahwe.com/saturn/gamemusic/openarena/sketches/OA2.2.mp3

Don't worry about the choir at the end seeming isolated or out of place, I will fill that part up with the other instruments slowly coming in as a small climax to the original theme in the new key.
alokin
Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 05:05:37 PM »

http://alokinnollahwe.com/saturn/gamemusic/openarena/sketches/OA2.3.mp3

It is a bit changed, and the "ending" is somewhat more filled out - the ending is climactic, but I am not entirely sure where it should go from here (or if this is it). Can I have some feedback on that?

I could just slap on the first section again in G, have a small modulation back to the beginning (where it loops), but I'd like to make it more interesting.

Thanks
alokin
Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 03:06:39 PM »

I still do not know how I want to continue the previous song (if I make it loopable, it should be suitable anyways).

Another sketch that might work:

http://alokinnollahwe.com/saturn/gamemusic/openarena/sketches/Armageddon1.1.mp3

Right now it is a bit dry and intrusive. To be good background music, I will tone it down a bit, and add a pad or two to soften is and give it more of an ambient feel (though it will not be an "ambient" song).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: