Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cool Q3A Mods that work with OpenArena  (Read 39550 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2012, 06:41:09 AM »

Not searched for Target Quake 3 yet...

... but I tested Quake III Platformer on OpenArena 0.8.8 and it works!  Smiley Well, it is better if you use a Q3A2OA texture compatibility pack, but it's ok.  Smiley

Wiki page about it created:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/Quake_III_Platformer

Enjoy!  Grin

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
.Luke
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 03:38:21 PM »

I'll have to look into Target Quake 3 myself later today, these 2D-style mods are pretty interesting. ^^

The wiki page is very informative, Gig! I was about to post a screenshot here myself, since I tested it out yesterday, (Same missing texture issues as you encountered, except running works for me.) but you already have all of that covered. =P It's an interesting mod, I'm always surprised by how extensively Quake III can be modified without touching the binary at all. If aiming worked, I could easily see potential for a Small Arms style game coming out of something like that. (If anyone decided to take on a 2D project, of course. I'm tempted to do it in the future, personally!)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 03:49:53 PM by .Luke » Logged

|
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2012, 01:13:12 AM »

What do you mean with "running works for me" and "if aiming worked"?
The Q3APlatformer bug is that if you use the keyboard for everything, and press left(or right)+up(or down)+fire at the same time, it does not correctly handle the three things at once, and one of them does not work. The workaround is simply to use a mouse button for one of them. In the wiki page, that small troubleshooting section is the only part I copy-pasted directly from the mods readme file. Isn't that clear enough?

Bye! Smiley
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 09:52:49 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
.Luke
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 07:50:14 PM »

This must have been my face while I was skimming over the readme doc. It should have been clear enough in the Whats_new file, but I wasn't reading it very thoroughly, which I usually do the exact opposite of with pretty much everything. Sure made myself look like an idiot, might as well have asked how to jump.

And I only just now realized how aiming works, since I noticed the mod's q3config file had some different settings than what I have configured on OA. Before that, I just thought aiming was limited to straight-ahead when moving the mouse did nothing. Now I'm that much more interested in the mod, especially with the camera scrolling mentioned in the build_platformer_maps doc. Now to figure out how to get joysticks cooperating. =P It seems to be disabled and removed from the UI, probably for a reason. In the meantime I have QJoyPad. :)

|
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 04:12:41 AM »

Another 2D mod is Target Quake 3.

I've found some links about it:
http://www.fileplanet.com/53202/download/Target-Quake-3-v1.0 (main file)
http://www.fileplanet.com/53202/50000/fileinfo/Target-Quake-3-v1.0 (same as above)
http://www.fileplanet.com/53203/50000/fileinfo/Target-Quake-3-v1.1-patch (patch)

http://planetquake.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Quake3.Detail&id=1077 (short but interesting description -it mentions 3 gametypes (TeamBall, VolleyBall, and OldWestShootout)-, but download link not working)
http://planetquake.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Quake3.Detail&id=1078 (download link not working)

Unfortunately, v1.0 is for Q3A 1.17, and version 1.1 does not seem to have changed this. Thus, also v1.1 does not work with OA, that is compatible with mods designed for Q3 1.27 and above, IIRC.

Do you have an updated version of Target Quake 3?

HEY, I've found this other download:
http://www.fileplanet.com/54318/50000/fileinfo/Target-Quake-Beta-2

This "beta2" version seems to be a patch later than v1.1, because it works with OpenArena. Probably it's the Q3 1.27 compatibility patch, I guess (note: while starting a match, an on-screen message reports version 1.02).

So, I installed 1.0 + 1.1 + beta2 in the same folder, and it seems to work, more or less.
Maps lacks many textures (q3a2oa compatibility pack very advisable, if you want to play it in OA)... but the real problem is with bots, that seem to be quite effective while shooting, but not very smart at movement.

Unfortunately, readme file is included in version 1.0 only, and explains nothing about the mod mechanics, gametypes, etc.
I've seen a beach-themed level (maybe the "Volleyball" mode mentioned above), but I've not been able to actually play it... while others seem working DM or CTF levels.

Anyway, it seems nice enough to give it more time for testing... unlike Q3 plaftormer, all maps scroll vertically and horizontally, and you can aim using the mouse.

Trivia: version 1.0 includes "scripts" and "vm" folders NOT PACKED into PK3 files... is this supposed to work in "pure server" mode? And who "wins" if you have a VM in a PK3 and one outside?

If anyone has tested it and has more infos to give us, it would be appreciated!  Smiley

- UPDATE - complete 1.02 (working) version found. See following posts (or jump to http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3684.msg44877#msg44877).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 10:45:54 AM by Gig » Logged

.Luke
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2012, 03:15:15 AM »

Thanks for posting all that info, Gig, but I tried combining all three packs into one mod folder, and it's the same flashing - virtually blank - UI I got when I first grabbed the 1.0 release on a Google search. Had to exit from the console because I couldn't see the "Quit" button.

EDIT : Er, never mind, it's simply not cooperating with the custom branch of 8.8 here, strangely. So I'll probably have to download the vanilla 8.8 linux binaries again, and dump them in my home folder in order to play this natively on 'nix.

Outside of that, I'm really blown away with this mod, and should probably grab that compatibility pack, or run this from Quake III when I launch it on-top of OA's binary. I'm surprised (Yet again.) that this much can be done in a mod without ever touching the source code, especially the aiming mechanics and camera scrolling that's implemented in Target Quake 3. That rotating title screen is pretty fancy too, IMO. ^^ Definitely plan on playing this seriously, it's pretty complete as-is.

|
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2012, 06:12:58 AM »

I've done some more testing, this time adding the q3a2oa texture compatibility patch: this way, the game is much more enjoyable. Smiley Target Quake seems worth to be played!

Bots seems to have problems only in some maps or modes... in general, it seems quite playable.
Note about bots: in the single player deathmatch tiers (at least in the first tier!), only one bot fits the names of q3 bots and thus only one is automatically in the game. Things are a bit better for skirmish mode, but anyway you may wish to manually change some of them, or you will have less bots than expected.

I wonder if and when will OpenArena place bots matching all the names of the original q3 bots? This would allow better mod and map (thinking to .arena and arenas.txt files) compability. Providing specific models would be great -giving more compatibility-, but would be a very long work -unless making copies of existing oa models-... but making "dummy" bots that use existing models and chat personalities, with q3 names, would be enough to fix some compatibility problems.
Fromhell, are there some plans about this?

PS: Fromhell, do you know the correct target quake patches? Is it 1.0 + 1.1 + beta2, in this order? Or is there something else?

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2012, 04:13:37 AM »

Hey, this Target Quake Arena is a really funny mod...

If you want, I've managed to create a very simple fix to let TQ add the bots it wants. This simply prevents you from the need of manually select/add the bots while starting TQ matches.
TQ searches for Orbb, Bitterman, Grunt and Klesk Q3A bots, but OpenArena only contains one named "Grunt" (so only Grunt is automatically used in single player deathmatch mode, and you would have to manually add more bots). So I created this "fix" (or do you prefer "hack"?) .bot file with few lines like these:
//Fake Bitterman
{
name      Bitterman
model      beret
aifile   bots/beret_c.c
}
This way we add to the game the three missing bots... altough they are "fake" because they simply re-use existing OA models and bot personalities.

Usage: simply copy TQfixbotsOA-02.pk3 (attached to this post) into your "tq" folder, then launch OpenArena and the Target Quake Arena mod.

PS: what about making a more comprehensive OA patch, to create "fakes" (meaning "replacements") for all the Q3 bots, to improve general compatibility with mods and maps designed for Q3A that search for them? Of course, creating proper models and bot personalities, instead, would be a REAL solution, but it would be a HUGE work... while this "dirty workaround" (maybe left as a separate fix?) should be quick enough...
I admit that making a long list of "duplicated" characters (different name, but same model/personality... but hey, what about mixing models and personalities?) would not be very nice looking... but again, we may let that a separate, unofficial fix, if you prefer. What do you think about that?

UPDATE: I updated from TQfixbotsOA-01.pk3 to TQfixbotsOA02.pk3 because I realized in TDM mode it searched for Visor bot, too... to I updated the tweak with a fake for it, too.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 03:05:15 AM by Gig » Logged

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2012, 04:55:25 AM »

An engine-side filesystem model/player alias definition file could be a decent workaround for q3 mods dependent on specific player models.

the file would contain stuff like:

Code:
// Player model aliases
// Model to replace, with this

doom, sarge
uriel, gargoyle
slash/yuriko, ayumi/default
xaero, kyonshi

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2012, 05:41:56 AM »

Engine side? That could be very interesting...
But question: maybe would that be a less flexible solution, because you may not be able to override it by simply creating a custom pk3?

To make (almost) complete q3 mod compatibility, one should have some kind of "redirection" for models/skins, bots and even maps (e.g. q3dm17 --> wrackdm17). Making this at engine level could be good (and may be possible to enable or disable it at will by using a specific cvar?)... but is there a risk that hard-coded tweaks may collide with different OA versions? E.g. in a future version you may create a your version of Orbb... and then OA should use that new model instead of the "fake" one, possibly without the need to recompile the engine for that.  

Do you think it would be possible to let pk3s/vms "win" if they
provide their own tweaks about models/bots/maps?

And switching from oa 0.8.x to the next generation, of course that would need to be updated too...

UPDATE: Only now I notice you mentioned "engine side FILESYSTEM FILE"... so of course the phrase about the "hard-coded" thing I wrote before should be a little different, considering you are NOT telling to incorporate the redirects directly in the source code (my misreading).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 10:52:01 AM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2012, 09:09:46 AM »

About Target Quake Arena, i've found out a little more. -UPDATE: complete 1.02 download found, it's ok, see below. -

Thanks to the great WayBack Machine, we can see how their site was:
http://web.archive.org/web/20011109212301/http://zeroping.com/targetquake/index.cfm
Now, let's put our attention to the these sections there:
LATEST FILES
 02/08/01 Target Quake Arena v1.02
 01/30/01 tqbeta3 update
 01/07/01 TQ Beta 2
 01/05/01 Avatex Texture pack
 12/21/00 TQBETA1
 12/11/00 Target Quake Arena 1.01 patch
 12/10/00 Target Quake 3 Arena v1

LATEST NEWS
 03/09/01 TQ in PC Gamer
 02/09/01 Target Quake V 1.02
 02/05/01 PQ Interview!
 01/30/01 Beta 3!
 01/10/01 Beta 2!
 01/05/01 Avatex Texture Pack
 01/03/01 What's Going ON?
 12/21/00 TQBeta1 for 1.27
 12/20/00 1.27 Beta Testing
 12/16/00 TQ for Q3 1.27 in the works. Beta testers needed
So, we can assume that the three files we previously found (see this post) are:
* The initial 1.0 release (for Q3 1.17, thus not compatible with OA)
* The 1.01 patch (still for Q3 1.17, and with the filename 1_1 a bit misleading -should have been 1_01, IMHO-)
* The second beta of the patch to make it compatible with Q3 1.27 (and later) -already showing the scheduled "1.02" version name while playing-.
After that "second" beta, they created a third one, and then a complete 1.02 package (that should not need the 1.0 package).

In the description about the complete 1.02 package, we finally have some hints about the unconventional game types.
http://web.archive.org/web/20011203152652id_/http://www.zeroping.com/targetquake/engine_files.cfm?Page=4&File=2426

The question now is... where can we get that 30 MB "Target Quake Arena v1.02 .zip"?

UPDATE... founding this, it seems "Target Quake Arena v1.02" may be also "tqarena1_02-ZP.zip"... and searching for that, I arrived here, to this: http://www.superkeff.net/mods/mods/target_quake/tqarena1_02-ZP.zip ... let's try it! Smiley

PS: however, is someone has got some other info/link...

UPDATE2:  tested, and it works well. They fixed some some bugs that were in beta2. So, just download the tqarena1_02-ZP.zip and you're okay. If you wanna a more refined compatibility, add the very small bot patch I created here, and the usual q3a2oa texture compatibility patch, and you are ok! Smiley

UPDATE3: uploaded the mod to a faster host. You can follow this link do download the mod: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/60263008/oth_mods/TQ/tqarena1_02-ZP.zip and this one to download my small bot patch for it: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/60263008/oth_mods/TQ/TQfixbotsOA-02.pk3 ... (note: ok, I've updated the link with my version 02 of the small fix)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 12:18:59 PM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2012, 01:59:07 AM »

Okay guys. I've prepared a quite careful page about Target Quake Arena in the wiki: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/Target_Quake_Arena

Now, it is your turn to try the mod!  Smiley

Bye!

.Luke
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2012, 06:32:55 AM »

Er, sorry for the late reply, I've been trying to figure out why the latest beta version isn't behaving on the Official Linux binary. :#

This, plus your bot patch, works great on Windows and WINE! I enjoy the mod a lot more now that single player is playable and polished, but while booted into Linux, I get this odd error whether or not your bot patch is present in the mod folder.

Code:
*tail end of the crash log*

----------------------
634 files in pk3 files
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
/home/jonathan//.openarena/tq/tqpak1.pk3 (317 files)
/home/jonathan//.openarena/tq
/home/jonathan/.openarena/tq/tqpak1.pk3 (317 files)
/home/jonathan/.openarena/tq
/home/jonathan//.openarena/1
/home/jonathan/.openarena/1

----------------------
634 files in pk3 files
----- Client Shutdown (Client fatal crashed: Couldn't load default.cfg) -----
OpenAL capture device closed.
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
-----------------------
----- Server Shutdown (Server fatal crashed: Couldn't load default.cfg) -----
---------------------------
Couldn't load default.cfg

I don't know what default configuration file it's looking for, since there is a q3config.cfg from OpenArena copied into the mod's folder. Maybe there is an unintentional snag somewhere on my end, (Would including more of the crash log be useful?) so I doubt other Linux players will bump into the same issue.

|
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2012, 07:13:04 AM »

Your baseoa folder is missing somehow in the search path.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2012, 11:25:02 AM »

Code:
---------------------
634 files in pk3 files
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
/home/jonathan//.openarena/tq/tqpak1.pk3 (317 files)
/home/jonathan//.openarena/tq
/home/jonathan/.openarena/tq/tqpak1.pk3 (317 files)
/home/jonathan/.openarena/tq
/home/jonathan//.openarena/1
/home/jonathan/.openarena/1

----------------------
634 files in pk3 files
----- Client Shutdown (Client fatal crashed: Couldn't load default.cfg) -----

Like fromhell said, baseoa is missing in the options. How are you launching the game/mod?

This space is for rent.
.Luke
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2012, 06:53:34 AM »

Your baseoa folder is missing somehow in the search path.

Wait, so is that what the "1" is for in-front of the the search path? o_o'

Like fromhell said, baseoa is missing in the options. How are you launching the game/mod?

Oh, so it's not starting properly? I'm using a custom launcher on XFCE to boot the game.

This is the command for my launcher on the desktop.

Code:
/home/jonathan/.openarena/bright_launcher

Script for the bright_launcher, since I still haven't worked out the darkness on Xorg.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

xgamma -gamma 1.5
sh /home/jonathan/.openarena/openarena
wait $!
xgamma -gamma 1.0

Then the relevant lines of the launcher script for OpenArena

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# quake3 or quake3-server or whatever
IOQ3SELF=openarena
# "server" or "client"
IOQ3ROLE=client
# ioquake3 or ioq3ded
IOQ3BINARY=ioquake3

ENGINE="/home/jonathan/.openarena/openarena.i386"

DEBUGGER="$OPENARENA_DEBUGGER"

# we're a standalone game
CVARS="+set com_basegame baseoa"
CVARS="$CVARS +set fs_basepath /home/jonathan/.openarena"
CVARS="$CVARS +set com_homepath .openarena"

Holy cow, I feel bad for going through three different steps just to launch this game. :# I'm starting to think just cutting out the need for the third one by removing "sh" from the second might help, as you mentioned in another thread. Is the second script from the Software Center fudging up the known directory?

EDIT : Yeah, removing the sh fixed that! Enjoying the mod natively on 'nix right now. I'll still need this script for launching Quake III through OA, but now I can pretty run the main game by itself now. =P
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 04:50:40 PM by .Luke » Logged

|
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: