Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: In-Built server creation for Internet  (Read 12348 times)
PWNAGE
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

LEWL!

« on: May 30, 2010, 03:31:44 AM »

Well as you may or may not know, i have another topic trying to get a server going http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3737.msg32455#new

I have thought it would be a HELL of a lot easier if it was in-built into the game because the "Create" button only makes a local server, not one that you can see from the list of servers that come up in the "Internet" section

(i had some trouble wording that :] )

I believe that this idea should have some thought

Thanks Wink

OPEN ARENA!!!!... it's cool

-PWNAGE- Anonymous Browsing
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 04:24:44 AM »

I don't know if there is a way to inform master server about your server existence when not working in "dedicated 2" mode (\heartbeat command dosn't return any message and I suppose it doesn't work).

Anyway, if you want to start your "dedicated 2" multiplayer match from graphic interface, you can do it. Just launch Openarena.exe instead of oa_ded.exe, set "\dedicated 2" from console, use "multiplayer" menu to create a game: the server will be started as dedicated (you will need to use another instance of OpenArena to play).

Anyway, if there is a problem with your firewall/router, this cannot be avoided by the game...
Me too, even after trying everything on my router, have not been able to have my server accessible from outside, I can't figure why...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
PWNAGE
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

LEWL!

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 04:44:06 AM »

oh well, im moving house soon and im getting a better internet connection, maybe it will work then, idk

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 04:49:10 AM »

In 0.8.5 there is sv_public that sends hardbeats from a listening server, but that will not magically open any ports in the firewall.

The problem today is that there are normally several layers that are impossible for the program to control. One could try UPnP but I am not sure how many firewalls or routers that actually accepts UPnP requests.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 04:56:24 AM »

Does OA support UPnP? :-/

How does sv_public work? :-/ It is 0... if I try to set it to 1, from command console, it says that it is read-only... if I try oa_ded.exe (or openarena.exe) +set sv_public 1, and then I check its value, it is still at 0...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 05:05:34 AM »

No, but we can always change that.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 05:31:22 AM »

If you think you can implement it, it would be very nice. Obviously, one needs a router/firewall that supports UPnP and has it enabled... but if it is the case, it would be a lot easier to start a server!

Another idea: it would be nice also to add a command that communicates to a central server (maybe under deathmask or openarena.ws domain), that tries to connect to your ip, and informs you if your server (dedicated or not) is reachable from the internet... Just an idea. Maybe a simple "Ok" answer after a \heartbeat could be enough.. but heartbeat works only with dedicated 2 (and I still don't understand how \sv_public works).

Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 10:54:58 AM »

No, but we can always change that.

At least libupnp could be included in the code - like libz - with both static and dynamic linking support at compile time , but I don't know if  including Upnp support could be a good idea since its unofficial motto is "Universal Plug aNd Pray"
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 06:09:52 PM »

I have sent a request to portforward.com to add openarena. Maybe even gonna create a server setup tool. Not sure if it's a good thing to let every newb (not to anyone here, just generalising) host their own server though.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 02:25:00 AM »

This seems interesting port testing UDP ports (UDP is not so easy to debug, cause of its nature)
http://portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm

PWNAGE
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

LEWL!

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 03:55:35 AM »

I have sent a request to portforward.com to add openarena. Maybe even gonna create a server setup tool. Not sure if it's a good thing to let every newb (not to anyone here, just generalising) host their own server though.

That would be helpful  Roll Eyes

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: