Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Callvote for capturelimit?  (Read 8015 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« on: October 30, 2010, 08:38:29 PM »

Hi everybody.

I was asking to myself: why does it has not been implemented a standard "callvote" function for the "capturelimit" variable? It is possible to callvote for the fraglimit and the timelimit, but not for the capturelimit.

Usually, the standard capturelimit 8 is good for everyone, but in the Domination mode it is a very low limit.
For example, you may be playing in Double Domination mode (where 8 is a good limit), then callvote and switch to Domination mode, and the limit will still be set to 8. The standard limit if you launch a Domination match from the GUI is 500... but you can't set it to 500 using callvote. A Domination match with capturelimit 8 will last few seconds.

I know that the server admins may use "custom votes" to allow this... but IMHO it should be an out-of-the-box feature.

Maybe one may implement limiting cvars like there are g_voteMaxTimelimit, g_voteMinTimelimit, g_voteMaxFraglimit, g_voteMinFraglimit, too (note: when a server admin allows the players to switch from domination to another gametype, he should set the new limits to permit a very large range, or disable them).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 12:37:25 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 07:45:57 AM »

Nobody answers? :-/

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 12:23:13 PM »

"Good idea"? Smiley

I personally never use the callvotes for frag and timelimit, but maybe it could be of use to people. Don't expect it to be that much work so whynot.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 04:29:28 PM »

Yes, it can be useful to permit that (like any vote I'd fear).
Now it hasn't been expressed as a very big need. In some way Custom Vote is an option where an admin can spare some developpers work, I'd go for it.
Note: only limitation is Custom Vote can't work with variables (AFAIK) so you have to use predefined values for capturelimit and such.
If you think it should came in standard for OA, then it may be a good idea to build that votecustom.cfg with a few handy already prepared votes and put it in the zip, though again admins already have the task to write their server config and it's not much to ask if they additionally have to paste some already prepared file from the Wiki (there's already one)

Todo: Walk the cat.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 03:51:05 AM »

It would very nice to write a page on the wiki about the custom votes (now there is only a link to a post on the forum). And placing some examples there would be very nice, and may be a "fix" to the lack of this callvote in the current release.

Also placing a default "votecustom.cfg" file in the next release may be nice... but AFAIK the number of available "slots" there is limited, and use one of them for a thing that IMHO should have been in since the first version of Q3A seems a shame...
Imho capturelimit should be a standard vote... especially now that many gametypes use it (in the original game, only gametype 4 used it... now they are many more!)

Probably, now the number of users that need to change the capturelimit is relatively low, because Domination mode is not popular now: too few maps support it... but for the next releases I hope that there will be more maps supporting it. It is a great gametype! But if you switch from another gametype to domintion, you must adapt the capturelimit!

Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 04:51:37 AM »

In practice players rarely change the gametype of a server.
The point also is, but I may be wrong, that there should be fundamentally no difference between standard votes and custom votes. So your wish about making it standard is like wishing the bit of code which implements it is written here instead of there, but finally that's the same. Custom vote possibilities are the same than ones you have with rcon access, almost any cvar can be accessed and any command can be issued. Imagine there is a new gametype which uses exotic cvars (freezetag, anything), developpers wouldn't have to mind about which vote can or cannot be issued, because custom votes is flexible, that's a little win. If the whole vote system can be configured then we could assume it's admins task and developpers could even deprecate the whole standard vote system. Of course for this to come true, custom vote system should be tweaked a bit and may need to be better integrated.
Like usual, a long debate emerging from such a small thing, heh Wink

Todo: Walk the cat.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: