Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: New CTF space map  (Read 56697 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2010, 06:07:40 AM »

For the lateral bridges? Maybe you could simply call them "one" or "two" or "left" or "right"... they would be not self-explaining names (unless you draw "I" and "II", or "L" and "R" symbols somewhere), but players may learn distinguish them playing the map.

Otherwise, you may place some "decorative" things over them, slightly different, and refer the names to them. Just an example: you may color a bridge (and/or the building at the middle) with some green effects, and the other with some orange effects: they would not modify the gameplay, but may allow you to call them "green bridge" and "orange bridge"...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2010, 10:59:05 AM »

Place gargoyle and lizard model on top and refer to them as "gargoyle" and "lizard".

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Thor001
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2010, 04:37:09 PM »

I have resolved placing a skull and a cross to "openarena" place on lateral bases:
The last release (i hope is the last Tongue ) can be download here.

Changing:

- Rebuilded the bases entry; now are slimer and wider
- New round wall in left tunnels
- Wider partially the upper bridge
- Introduced invisible walls so the flag run is not compromise by edge
- Deleteded all white lights on bridges, now there are a diffuse light red and blu from floor
- Introduced two univocal signs for later bases (and so for bridges)
- Added 2 target_location in lateral bases
- Correct the target_location names on laterl bridges
- Changed the skybox

Please check for bugs... i know only a bug and i will correct next time (i hope for compile oa_thor and not again only thor). The bug is a wrong target_location name on upper bridge. I didn't find other bugs Smiley
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 02:00:26 PM by Thor001 » Logged
Thor001
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2010, 01:35:02 PM »

The develop don't stop
Download
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2010, 02:23:18 PM »

Testing... I'll edit this post with my thoughts.

Tested. Here're some things:

- I saw you put the Nailgun in the map. As a rule of thumb with the Missionpack weapons, each time you add one of these in a CTF map, or Invulnerability and/or Kamikaze, you should add as well the Team Runes. (Doubler, Guard, Ammo Regen, Scout)

The Nailgun, the Chaingun and the Prox are really strong weapons, Guard is good at countering these, (as well as the Kamikaze) so it's an ideal item for the attacker. Ammo Regen serves for the defender, as a way to recover ammo without having to leave the base. Scout can serve for hit-and-run tactics and for... well... roaming. Tongue And Doubler may serve for the defenders, to do more damage to an enemy without having to go for the Quad Damage, which can be left to another user.

- Those teles at the pillars in the outside look something... awful. You should try doing a tele like those of the upper area.

- The inner areas are dark. Consider putting some light in there.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 02:44:43 PM by |TXC| Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
**HD
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2010, 05:12:01 PM »

Those 8x8 stairs feels kind of odd. 16 wide x 8 high stairs are looking much better, but are difficult to climb as well as this 8x8 stairs. Have a look at oa_dm1 to oa_dm5, they are using 32x12 or 32x16 stairs, which is the most common stair-size for q3-based games   
Thor001
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2010, 08:27:42 AM »

Ok, i were unsure about nailgun, then i had deleted nailgun and the grenade launcher on upper bridge and added a GL on nailgun old place Smiley
I add some lights in the tunnels
About stairs i think that there isn't a rule about their dimentions and if i change now their dimentions will be impossible go inside the tunnels.
Thor001
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2010, 11:36:57 AM »

From old release the changes are:

Fixed cracks in front to red base
Added red and blue lights in the tunnel
Added glass wall on the upper bridge
Added a wall on ramp for prevent camping (from there a camper would see all a lateral bridge)
Deleted the nailgun and add a grenade launcher on old nailgun place
Deleted the grenade launcher on upper bridge
Added 2 rockets on upper bridge
Added 16 respawn on upper bridge (8 blue and 8 red)

Download
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2010, 12:03:05 PM »

Quick try... nice!  Smiley

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2010, 12:43:31 PM »

Quick round again.

Those extremely dark passages (for example, those two rooms in the middle area and the upper center room) are in need of lighting. Screenshots:

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Thor001
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »

I think you have right but not in all areas, base, for example, needn't other lights. I'd like play with coloured light, so i will put coloured lights in dark areas like lateral neutral bases and 2 rooms in upper neutral base Smiley
Thor001
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2010, 06:49:18 AM »

I have done the dark rooms and the lateral bases not so dark. I think that is my last version and i will change only for bugs.
Download
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2010, 01:12:27 PM »

Good, I find this map very nice. Smiley

Sorry, I forgot to say it before... but the levelshot is not beautiful, IMHO.

PS: Are you sure that the skybox textures are correctly aligned (meaning are you sure that you selected all the "sky" brushes and re-applied the texture)? Maybe it's the texture itself that is not optimal for replication...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 04:16:32 PM by Gig » Logged

Thor001
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2010, 08:08:41 AM »

PS: Are you sure that the skybox textures are correcly aligned (meaning are you sure that you selected all the "sky" brushes and re-applied the texture)? Maybe it's the texture itself that is not optimal for replication...
Mmm... i think yes, In game the skybox has not troubles.
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2010, 09:33:43 AM »

Maybe it's the texture itself that is not optimal for replication...

It's a texture problem indeed, wrackdm17 has similar issues:

I've already made a fix for wrackdm17, but skyboxes have large filesizes, so it wasn't published with the 0.8.5 patch. I'll made a fix for these too, maybe for pvomit too (it has a different bug: ugly JPG artifacts).

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Thor001
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2010, 12:21:11 PM »

I have seen with more attention... right there is a problem with nebulae textures... i'll fix Sad
Thor001
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2010, 06:56:08 AM »

I try to fix the skybox bug and i have to say that the result is partially very good.
now near the nebulae there isn't the edge
But for a side there is the bug and now is more visible Sad
What have to do for fix it?
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2010, 07:21:24 AM »

What have to do for fix it?

Remember the steps what you did with the nebulae image and repeat those for the other images in the env/nebulae folder and for the env/space1_* images.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2010, 11:32:40 AM »

There is this page on the Wiki (by Udi):
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/How_to_create_specular_textures

Thor, may this help?

Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2010, 11:55:20 AM »

(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/How_to_create_specular_textures

That's something different. The method described there makes semi-transparent textures, but skyboxes shouldn't be semi-transparent.

Thor001
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2010, 12:48:19 PM »

Thor, may this help?
Hello Gig Smiley I am sure, in future will be very usefull this guide Wink
@Udi: I fix the bug. I say thank to you and also that your zoa_nebulae has a little bug, now fixed. you would have to remove nebulae2_bk.jpg and copy and duplicate nebulae2_rt.jpg with name nebulae2_bk.jpg, so the skybox is now perfect Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: