Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: watadry (by *SoS*Adr!aNo)  (Read 34880 times)
adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2011, 02:56:22 PM »

Ok, I worked a little bit on the map and did following changes:
- fixed elevator
- map darker
- replaced/added new textures

That's not all I wanted to change, but I bring this beta because the prevous version was too bright and not really playable. So I hope it is better now. Smiley

DOWNLOAD BETA3: http://www.file-upload.net/download-3709543/watadry_beta3.pk3.html

WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2011, 08:30:17 PM »

Very playable.  I'd like to see a more "jump here" texture on the jump pads.  When strafe jumping, I kept running into walls, though I could get some good speed going.

I'm enjoying the map a lot.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2011, 03:44:18 AM »

Very playable.  I'd like to see a more "jump here" texture on the jump pads.  When strafe jumping, I kept running into walls, though I could get some good speed going.

I'm enjoying the map a lot.

I saw the map on a server now and I think I know what you mean... the new textures seems very strange and I don't know why!

I used  the zzz.hqTex.pk3-texturepack and just picked the textures I needed in the pk3 (like I did in beta2).
The strange things are e.g.:

0.) tested with sv_pure 0 (with the texturepack in baseoa):
like 1.) but I can see all textures...no problems.

1.) tested with sv_pure 0 (without the texturepack in baseoa):

2.) tested on a server:

« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 04:40:15 AM by adriano » Logged
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2011, 09:05:40 AM »

the first screenshots are probably from standard openarena while the others seem to come from a server running aftershock. maybe different configs are loaded with different graphic settings and/or other pk3s loaded?
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2013, 08:52:33 PM »

Adriano was kind enough to give a new link to his map. Soon, a MapRaider link.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71172136/watadry_beta3.pk3

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 06:50:24 AM »

I've tested the map watadry_beta3, but replied in a wrong thread.
I was playing on a phone, so my experience may be biased.
Once you've learned all the map shortcuts, you'll make gameplay frustrating to other players (also, bots are easily confused by this map).
There are two shortcuts to the enemy base, via underwater way and teleporter, and there are too many escape routes after you grab a flag - run to the jump pad, collect the health and armor from the upper gallery, then there are two routes to run away from the gallery without jumping down to the open space, and you can grab a plasmagun on the way back. Once you around the first corner, you're safe - there are too many sharp corners on the way back, so it's impossible to chase and snipe you down, you can also grab megahealth while running to your base, and run away even without shooting. But if you're killed and respawn on your base, there are no decent weapons around you, you need to run ahead, and it's not unusual for flag carrier to grab your plasmagun and rocket right when you need them most.
The best strategy for flag defenders is to stay between two bases, where the megahealth is, the flag carrier will have to run across that area.
Also I dislike that lifting platform that goes up and down at regular intervals, it's easy to get squished. Why not a plain jump pad?
I was able to jump to the teleporter only after 10-th try, and the underwater passage is also not that easy to use.
The texture choice is okay, and illumination is also okay, although there are not too many variations, just the same ambient light everywhere.
adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 03:51:05 PM »

I've tested the map watadry_beta3, but replied in a wrong thread.
I was playing on a phone, so my experience may be biased.
Once you've learned all the map shortcuts, you'll make gameplay frustrating to other players (also, bots are easily confused by this map).
There are two shortcuts to the enemy base, via underwater way and teleporter, and there are too many escape routes after you grab a flag - run to the jump pad, collect the health and armor from the upper gallery, then there are two routes to run away from the gallery without jumping down to the open space, and you can grab a plasmagun on the way back. Once you around the first corner, you're safe - there are too many sharp corners on the way back, so it's impossible to chase and snipe you down, you can also grab megahealth while running to your base, and run away even without shooting. But if you're killed and respawn on your base, there are no decent weapons around you, you need to run ahead, and it's not unusual for flag carrier to grab your plasmagun and rocket right when you need them most.
The best strategy for flag defenders is to stay between two bases, where the megahealth is, the flag carrier will have to run across that area.
Also I dislike that lifting platform that goes up and down at regular intervals, it's easy to get squished. Why not a plain jump pad?
I was able to jump to the teleporter only after 10-th try, and the underwater passage is also not that easy to use.
The texture choice is okay, and illumination is also okay, although there are not too many variations, just the same ambient light everywhere.

Ye, I know there are a lot of bad things (you listed some of it) in this map (my first map), that's also the reason why I have never finished it yet (beta).
I think also that it is bad playable on mobile phone or tablet because there is some circlejumping and strafejumping needed.
So rethinking on mapraider...maybe it is better to don't bring it in there (cause of unfinished map) and wants to play it, can download it here. =)

Thanks for your comment, pelya. Smiley
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 05:01:01 PM »

So rethinking on mapraider...maybe it is better to don't bring it in there (cause of unfinished map) and wants to play it, can download it here.
Why not? The map is playable, despite all of it's shortcomings, and there are many much worse maps out there (Quake 1 conversions are particularly awful)..
I think it can be improved by removing things - remove that underwater passage, move teleport to some easier to access place, maybe remove some walls in the middle, and you'll get a nice smooth game flow on this map.
adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2013, 04:14:35 AM »

Ok I uploaded it to mapraider...now attending approval.  Wink
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: