Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Steam on Linux  (Read 16061 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« on: April 25, 2012, 07:23:51 PM »

Do I have to link?

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
MIOW
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

I play to win.

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 10:02:57 PM »

yay \o/
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 05:46:26 AM »

I'll do:

http://www.linuxgames.com/archives/18109

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
dbX

Cakes 11

Shazpaca!

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 01:56:36 PM »

AWESOME!!!

In defeat we learn.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 10:16:31 PM »

For some time, Gabe has been interested in the possibility of moving Steam and the Source game engine to Linux. At the time, the company was already using Linux by supporting Linux-based servers for Source-based games and also by maintaining several internal servers (running a 64-bit version of Ubuntu server) for various projects. In 2011, based on the success of those efforts and conversations in the hallway, we decided to take the next step and form a new team. At that time, the team only consisted of a few people whose main purpose was investigating the possibility of moving the Steam client and Left 4 Dead 2 over to Ubuntu.

Why Ubuntu? There are a couple of reasons for that. First, we’re just starting development and working with a single distribution is critical when you are experimenting, as we are. It reduces the variability of the testing space and makes early iteration easier and faster. Secondly, Ubuntu is a popular distribution and has recognition with the general gaming and developer communities. This doesn’t mean that Ubuntu will be the only distribution we support. Based on the success of our efforts around Ubuntu, we will look at supporting other distributions in the future.

After successfully porting L4D2 to Ubuntu, interest grew within Valve and, as a result, the team and projects we were working on also grew. Currently, our focus is on the following projects:

getting the Steam client onto Linux with full functionality
    optimizing a version of L4D2 running at a high frame rate with OpenGL
    porting additional Valve titles

http://www.linuxgames.com/archives/18256

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 10:32:56 AM »

I previously read last week or the week before that Valve is basically finished with the ports - Steam, the Source Engine and L4D2 - but wanted certain bugs in the Linux kernel and in the video drivers fixed before releasing them (this is why no official release date has been set).

It might be worthwhile to keep an eye on the Valve Steam Team's blog from time to time, even though some of the current info is a bit dated: http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/steamd-penguins/

Calm is for LOSERS!  ANGER fuels my game and btw you're NEXT!
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 02:44:58 PM »

As mentioned on the Valve Linux Blog, a beta survey has been posted by Valve to assess applicants’ fitness for beta-testing Steam and Left 4 Dead 2 on Linux:

We’re looking for Linux gamers to install and test our new Steam for Linux client. We are primarily interested in experienced Linux users.
In order to take the survey or update your existing submission, you need to first login with your Steam account to link your response with your Steam ID.

There are only 1000 spots, so be sure to fill it out ASAP.
Additionally, Ryan “icculus” Gordon has been busy getting other titles ready for Linux distribution:

Lots of work for the impending Steam/linux release. New games, old games, and tools to support them. Fun times!

Exciting days ahead Smiley

News Link

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 02:52:11 PM »

That's cool!

Too bad I gutted my linux install, and considering the current awful state of Ubuntu, GNOME and KDE, i'm not all too motivated to abandon Windows 7 for it.  If I had my way for a distro that doesn't suck, i'd still be using KDE 3.5 with the latest kernel/hardware support, no mousewheel latency, working tablet drivers for my non-WACOM tablet, an interface that resembles Windows 95 and doesn't try to push any "future modern desktop" bullshit, and no PulseAudio or amazon searches.  

I might give Steam linux a try on a secondary machine, IF there's no stupid regressions in hardware support older than 2 years.  I'm not saying i'm against Linux - i'm just against at the attempts to 'beat microsoft at their desktop idea by avoiding UI familiarity' ambitions of popular window managers which alienates long-term end users of Linux, and all else, be it Mac, Windows, BeOS, NewDeal, etc. users.

I sincerely wish Steam and Valve the best of luck on taking the Linux frontier, and hope the Free Software community doesn't do any over-entitlement stunts, spoiling their welcome.     It's bad enough they still get a bad rap from older Windows 98 users who believe Steam is a "steaming pile of shit" due to the optional auto-update mechanism and the client authentication (yes, even in 2012 when they're required to run them on XP with P4/AXP CPU at the minimum)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 03:09:04 PM by fromhell » Logged

Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 03:16:50 PM »

The closed beta arrived today, did anyone recieve an invite? Actually the check is still buggy, if you place the launcher into the launchbar and use some if the quicklists it won't tell you to login with an enrolled user. But just like me, everyone is afraid to use that, in case we get banned Smiley.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 04:31:25 PM »

It feels like we have been waiting a long time for this but finally the Steam for Linux has arrived. Check out the catalog of Linux games on Steam. You can also report bugs on their GitHub repository. Enjoy!

http://www.linuxgames.com/archives/18533

PopeJo
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 06:05:10 AM »

It feels like we have been waiting a long time for this but finally the Steam for Linux has arrived. Check out the catalog of Linux games on Steam. You can also report bugs on their GitHub repository. Enjoy!

http://www.linuxgames.com/archives/18533

there's more linuxgames websites and forums then actuall games for linux Wink

the steam client runs well on xubuntu "quantal" 12.10. just the offical games didnt run: serioussam 3 and team fortress 2. so I sit back and wait some more ...

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 12:07:39 PM »

Celebration sale!

jessicaRA
Lesser Nub

Cakes 16

Wild pony spotted derping around oasago2.

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 02:41:59 PM »

The main reason I haven't been playing CS:S was I was on linux all the time with some screenception of unfinished stuff...  This was good news for wasting more time in games.

Too bad I gutted my linux install, and considering the current awful state of Ubuntu, GNOME and KDE, i'm not all too motivated to abandon Windows 7 for it.  If I had my way for a distro that doesn't suck, i'd still be using KDE 3.5 with the latest kernel/hardware support, no mousewheel latency, working tablet drivers for my non-WACOM tablet, an interface that resembles Windows 95 and doesn't try to push any "future modern desktop" bullshit, and no PulseAudio or amazon searches. 

Fedora after switching the session manager to lxdm and using icewm can be roughly similar.  Removing pulseaudio going back to alsa on its own also can be done.  Although I have to stick to pulse myself because ffmpeg seems to have some trouble recording with alsa here.  Sort of lucky the time I decided to go back to pulse it actually worked without being choppy in Fedora 18.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 03:14:13 PM »

Too bad they still don't have any of the Unreal games up to UT2004 on Linux yet. :/

[whinyfanboy] EPIC FIX PLZ! [/whinyfanboy]

Eversion... what a scary game... dmt...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: