Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I love <<OA>> <<< please Look this thread>>>>  (Read 9249 times)
nufzy
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« on: August 01, 2012, 03:34:37 AM »

I want to offer my ANGRY IDEA Angry! Please make an OpenArena "FREE TO PLAY" on STEAM!
This game wiil be more popular then QUAKE III ARENA! IT's REALY TRUE!
DEAR DEVELOPERS =) THANKS FOR THIS AMAZING MOD!

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 07:38:10 PM »

That might sound like a good idea....... until Free Software advocates complain about the whole closed source thing executing something with a closed source overlay on top. That, and Steam would also have to provide the source which would easily be 2gb+... Sad

There used to be a GPL-related issue with Steam and DOSbox-packed releases.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 06:49:52 AM »

That's incorrect, technically speaking you could double-license every part of the game you own or hold the copyrights to. Only the stuff that's GPL'ed by others before you used it or derived from it in your game can be exclusively licensed under the GPL.

This means in practice that you have to GPL all parts of the code, but only those parts of the artwork that derive from GPL'ed artwork and those parts for which you can't get permission to re-license (because the original copyright holder won't approve, can't be found, etc.) have to remain under the GPL.

You can publish your own stuff under as many licenses as you like, and the same goes for stuff contributed by other project members as far as you can get their permission. So you should only have to provide a few megabytes of (zipped) source code, textures etc.

I'm on the ten most wanted list, I've got it dead in the groove.
My face is on every wanted poster in town, for the way I move.
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 07:23:43 PM »

Quote from: nufzy
...Please make an OpenArena "FREE TO PLAY" on STEAM!...

There have been a lot of "wishes" about OA on various engines, etc., but this is certainly one wish that if fulfilled would garner the game more players and contributors.

The move might not annoy OpenSource advocates too much (except for Richard Stallman) since Valve/Steam has become so cozy with Linux1 and given Gabe Newell’s distaste for Windows 82 and for the Windows 8 App Service (a direct future competitor to Steam), as well as, similar sentiments3 echoed by other powerful VideoGame Companies like Blizzard Entertainment and Stardock.

If OA was available on Steam the only pity would be that (I assume) it would run inside a wrapper because with few developers and an OpenSource Model we would not be able to move to a new engine like Nexuiz (the Steam version uses CryEngine3).  Even Valve's Source Engine - free use and distribution for games with various OpenSource type licenses - which has a lot of similar commands as the id Tech engines since the original Half-Life used a heavily modified id Tech 1 engine would not be an option because of all the man-hours needed to port.

Links:
1.http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4544.msg44818#msg44818

2. http://allthingsd.com/20120725/valves-gabe-newell-on-the-future-of-games-wearable-computers-windows-8-and-more/

3. http://kotaku.com/5929569/blizzard-isnt-happy-with-windows-8-either

Somewhat off-topic:  I have been following a gravity altering game called Inversion for a few months. My interest in mentioning it here is that I was surprised to read at its Steam Forum that many players were annoyed that it did not have achievements.  Achievements are the reward badges (or items) that get unlocked for particular accomplishments.  But after thinking for a second I had to agree it is a major reason I play certain games like Left 4 Dead 2 over and over.

OA by way of Q3 has achievements.  You know, the on-screen awards and badges like "Excellent", etc.  Which had me wondering if Q3 was the first game to have achievements - the kind that are announced/displayed while playing and listed on the screenshots of the single player Tournament matches and skirmishes.  Note, games as old as Wolfenstein 3D (1992) had "rewards" like gold coins and treasure that you collected but that's not quite the same.  If anyone knows of an older FPS/TPS game with this feature please let me know.

Calm is for LOSERS!  ANGER fuels my game and btw you're NEXT!
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 02:50:51 AM »

Rise of the Triad had bonuses for various things, including the bonus bonus for getting all bonuses. Dunno if that counts, as the bonuses aren't permanent to a profile.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 12:17:08 PM »

Rise of the Triad had bonuses for various things, including the bonus bonus for getting all bonuses. Dunno if that counts, as the bonuses aren't permanent to a profile.

Not surprised that such a ground-breaking game as RoTT might have been the first to do it.  That game gave me fits to finish.  I still have it in my game archives.  I honestly don't remember the bonuses that much but I do remember it was the first game to feature jump-pads; something that wasn't done again until 5 years later in Q3.  That was when Apogee (3DRealms) knew how to make games.

Most visitors here probably have no idea about Rise of the Triads (1994).  In a nutshell, it was originally to be the sequel to Wolfenstein 3D.  But, Apogee (also known as 3DRealms - developer of the Duke Nukem series) who was the distributor for Wolfenstein 3D decided to take it in a different direction.

Some of the items that were used first in Rise of the Triad before any other game were:

* Parental Lock of objectionable content
* Random game enemies (the same enemy wouldn't always be in the same spot when you replayed the game)
* Non linear episode progression (ending one specific level wouldn't always take you to the next one)
* Jump pads
* Bullet holes in walls
* Ability to jump on top of objects in a game
* Live Remote Ridicule (insult people in a LAN game using a microphone - forget those built in insults!)
* Enemies that play dead instead of just dying immediately.
* Rocket jumping
* Capture the Flag

http://www.3drealms.com/news/rise_of_the_triad/

Calm is for LOSERS!  ANGER fuels my game and btw you're NEXT!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: