Poll
Question: Common map naming for OACMP (map dm1/ctf1 as example) [ends 20/12]
oacmpdm01/oacmpctf01 - 2 (28.6%)
oacmpdm001/oacmpctf001 - 0 (0%)
oacmpdm1/oacmpctf1 - 4 (57.1%)
oacmp1dm01/oacmp1ctf01 - 0 (0%)
oacmp01dm01/oacmp01ctf01 - 0 (0%)
Other option (elaborate or your vote won't count) - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 62
  Print  
Author Topic: [REL] OpenArena Community Mappack - Volume 1 - FINAL  (Read 1124197 times)
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #275 on: February 06, 2013, 04:33:46 PM »

And I would like oa_akomdm3 officially released Cheesy anyway, shifting the deadline is a good idea, otherwise Akom74 will get all the glory Tongue

Muahahaha !!!  Grin Grin ....just kidding.... Tongue

By the way, even jangroothuijse, Moixie, Peter Silie and Neon_Knight have some jobs "work in progress" and i think that in the beta will have about 10 maps, am i wrong ?  Huh

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

jangroothuijse
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #276 on: February 06, 2013, 05:01:39 PM »

I also vote for moving the deadline.

BTW, my map (oajgdm1) is called "The other side".
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 05:29:58 PM by jangroothuijse » Logged
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #277 on: February 07, 2013, 12:28:02 PM »

Update !

Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:30:47 PM by Akom74 » Logged

jangroothuijse
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #278 on: February 07, 2013, 12:40:56 PM »

Wow!

Strong start trek vibe, looks very good!
Moixie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #279 on: February 08, 2013, 02:32:06 PM »

For the next 5 days, I won't be able to go on the computer because of working. The next next week I'll also have much work and I won't be able to work on maps. The next next next week, I'll have to do what I couldn't do the 3 previous weeks but I'll have much more time. I already accumulate lateness and I fear I won't be able to do what I planned to do when I accepted the project.

To sum up, if the deadline was shifted it would really help me.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #280 on: February 08, 2013, 03:03:36 PM »

By request, every deadline has been shifted by a week. This means: more time to do what we have planned.

Also added jan's map to the list.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 03:05:53 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #281 on: February 09, 2013, 07:46:45 AM »

Update !

1) Modified some structure brush.
2) Added music
3) Added spawnpoint for weapons
4) Added 2 shotgun

Download Link:
Code:
https://www.box.com/s/90cd4kofhahsfsm2p42q

EDIT: Theorically all textures are original of OA-0.8.alien except for mine.

Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:35:20 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #282 on: February 09, 2013, 01:18:26 PM »

Updated, testing in a moment.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #283 on: February 10, 2013, 12:46:13 PM »

Updated, testing in a moment.

Ok, i'm waiting gamers for response.  Grin Grin
(...and i'm working on the oa_akomdm5... Tongue... )

Wink

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #284 on: February 10, 2013, 02:45:33 PM »

oa_akomdm4
It's so easy to fall and die there Sad especially with clumsy mobile controls. But it's a feature of this map. I don't really care if the gravity inside the ship is low - I'm not doing lot of jumps there, also the ceiling is not very high, so it bumps your down. The gameplay seems to be okay, and the stars effect is very cool.
Minor cosmetic changes could be made:
1. The pad with battle suit at the center is disconnected from the ship, and just floating in the air. I would make it something like a very small ship (escape boat?), or attach to a ship with something like chains hanging from the upper part of ship (however medieval chains inside futuristic space ship look little weird). Maybe with tubes or some kind of force beams.
2. The teleporter image looks like stars, so I though at first it's another window leading me to instant death. Some other texture would be nice, or maybe make it pulsating, so it more looks like teleporter.

oajgdm1
The map looks awesome, and plays very fine with cellphone, because it's big and open, there should be more maps like that in OA. I think I'll put it on my dedicated server along with oa_akomdm3 when the mappack will be released. Now, the things I would like to change:
1. Megahealth - it's only on one half of the map, and just lying on the ground, too easy to grab. Either make another megahealth at the similar spot on other half of the map, or put it at the map center instead of rocket (or near the rocket), or maybe put it in some spot not so easy to reach, for example here:

2. These two parts make me anxious, because I cannot jump there. Either make it reachable, or remove the slope, so that you understand from a single glance that you cannot jump up there:

3. I would replace those Tron-style textures with something more Aztec/Inca/Maya:

The pillars and all the black textures should be obsidian Aztec, and the wall to the right that splits the level should be dark stone Aztec:

But don't change this texture, I would like tiles of this color in my bathroom Smiley

I would like something like this (I don't know the license of these images! probably not GPL, I've just googled for "aztec architecture"):
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 03:23:59 PM by pelya » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #285 on: February 11, 2013, 02:36:49 AM »

Akom, I like the ability to go to the roof of the new version of the map.  Smiley
A thing I would suggest, if possible, is to place some kind of windshield (windscreen) texture on the eternal front of the ship. Players cannot enter the command cockpit, but anyway I suppose the existence of a command cockpit should be hinted.

For the battle suit pad, probably Pelya is right... who knows, maybe you may give it some enegy fields that would connect it to the ship, or its own small trusters...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #286 on: February 11, 2013, 02:19:51 PM »

Map Modified !!

@GiG: Here is the cockpit !!  Grin (with MY glass-texture and script)

@pelya: Now the Battlesuit plat is "bobbing" on two tubes  Tongue

@pelya: New teleporters texture and script, watch it and tell me.

I have moved the plasmagun from the one floor to the upper one, for playability improvement.

Download Link:
Code:

Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:35:43 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #287 on: February 12, 2013, 05:44:04 AM »

Hi Akom! Nice work!

1) The pilots' room is nice.  Smiley I suppose it would be even better if you could place there a few more details, e.g. a door behind them and some kinds of controls (cloches/joysticks, or keyboards, or monitors...) in front of them. Maybe the seats may be a little "higher" at the cushions level...

2) The moving "Akom's platform" is nice, although now it is not necessary anymore to actually jump to reach the battle suit...

3) What about adding two more trust flames on the rear of the ship, next to the lateral edges (or mid-way towards them)?

4) I'm still not completely sure about the teleport, but now it's surely better than before.  Smiley

5) Maybe the two lateral aerodynamic sections of the front part of ship may have some more details and/or be more sharp-pointed in the lower part.

6) Maybe all the lower part of the ship should show some more details... considering you see it often enough while falling in the void, seeing a completely flat base isn't too nice.

7) Maybe you may add few small external windows along the lower "squared-ring" corridors. Just an idea.

P.S. Is it voluntary that the two ramps to reach the roof of the ship use different textures?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 06:05:40 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #288 on: February 12, 2013, 12:35:18 PM »

Quote from: Gig
Hi Akom! Nice work!

Thanks  Grin

1) The pilots' room is nice.  Smiley I suppose it would be even better if you could place there a few more details, e.g. a door behind them and some kinds of controls (cloches/joysticks, or keyboards, or monitors...) in front of them. Maybe the seats may be a little "higher" at the cushions level...

2) The moving "Akom's platform" is nice, although now it is not necessary anymore to actually jump to reach the battle suit...

I have added one more cable in the middle because BOTs fall down too much Tongue Tongue

3) What about adding two more trust flames on the rear of the ship, next to the lateral edges (or mid-way towards them)?

I've added them at the bottom of the ship Tongue

4) I'm still not completely sure about the teleport, but now it's surely better than before.  Smiley

Thanks, I think it's very better now, but i'm waiting for pelya response about it Tongue

5) Maybe the two lateral aerodynamic sections of the front part of ship may have some more details and/or be more sharp-pointed in the lower part.

For example ? I'm not sure of that, give me a screenshot and i will modify.

6) Maybe all the lower part of the ship should show some more details... considering you see it often enough while falling in the void, seeing a completely flat base isn't too nice.

No problem, let me do something......stay tuned.... Tongue ...

7) Maybe you may add few small external windows along the lower "squared-ring" corridors. Just an idea.

I'm not understending this, give me a screenshot of what part you want to modify.

P.S. Is it voluntary that the two ramps to reach the roof of the ship use different textures?

No, it's an error, solved now  Grin
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:37:33 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #289 on: February 13, 2013, 06:24:39 AM »

Done ! Like the new one ?
Yes!  Smiley Maybe analog indicators on a futuristic spaceship may seem somehow obsolsete... but who cares! It's good!

I've added them at the bottom of the ship Tongue
Look good. Thank you. Smiley

For example ? I'm not sure of that, give me a screenshot and i will modify.
Okay, see the first screenshot attached: making the part "thinner" in height, possibly making also laterally (internal and external?) the detail you applied to the top part of it. You may even place some sort of "spike" in front, if you like. This may apply also to the central section (in front of the cockpit), if you wish.

No problem, let me do something......stay tuned.... Tongue ...like it ?
It's better now. Smiley
Maybe you may even place a few lights there (and even laterally).

I'm not understending this, give me a screenshot of what part you want to modify.
Take a look to the second image. However, I don't know if that would result very good, because, looking at the map again, I noticed the wall there is much more thick than I thought. However, if you wanna make a try anyway (keeping a backup of the map before doing that)...

PS: What about using the "new" OA logo for the moving platform? I mean, the thick one instead of the thin one? With a quick search, I've found \textures\cosmo_sfx\decal2.jpg in pak6-patch088.pk3, but there are probably more files including it around.

PPS: Found a small graphic glitch... spectate at the rear of the ship (from the rear), looking at the edges of the parapet. Do you see it? It affects both parts.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 03:08:10 AM by Gig » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #290 on: February 13, 2013, 10:17:45 AM »

I've tested the updated oa_akomdm4.

The teleport is okay now.

The pilot cabin looks awesome, too bad you won't really see it in game (unless you fall).

So I propose to make the whole cockpit covered with glass, not just front window. Make some windows at the sides and at the back, make a glass roof.
big helicopter photo

You could put some powerup here, at the engine nose, so players will have more chances to see your awesome pilot cabin from the side window:

I like moving platform, it has one small bug - the battle suit powerup is not moving along with the platform, it hangs in the air. I suppose it's impossible to do anyway with OA map engine.

I have another idea about that platform, but I'm not sure if my idea is really better, so you can leave the platform as-is:

The rails are moved to the top, and there are two consoles sliding them, and the platform is hanging on the ropes from these consoles. Like this:
random crane photo
another random photo
That platform is used to lift heavy crates or passengers into the ship when it's landed.
Also, since it's hanging on ropes, it would not only move forward and back, as consoles move, but also swing in random directions, and be unstable and scary to jump onto, like this.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 03:19:48 PM by pelya » Logged
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #291 on: February 13, 2013, 11:24:03 AM »

Ok, i will take care of your suggestinos and see what i can do.

.....stay tuned....  Tongue

@Pelya: please, reduce the size of your photos  Tongue Cheesy

@Neon_Knight: Read the message i have send to you please.  Grin

Wink

jangroothuijse
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #292 on: February 13, 2013, 11:43:35 AM »

@Pelya:

I've been working on my other map, but while you checkout that one i will tackle your suggestions:
* Mega health: its just on the ground, so that people would have to come down (and in the open) to get it, it does make it less balanced and i like the idea of 2 megahealths, so i'll try that!
* The slopes should definitly go up up there, i allways play in a physics with rampjumps, so i did not notice it would be unreachable.
* I'll look into the maya, aztec, inca textures.

The next map i would like to contribute, called 'Aimless fury', is ready for alpha testing, i will test the gameplay tonight. It is an alpha and still on the todo list are: Aligning textures, making clusterportals, lighting up the underground section so that you can see enemies a bit clearer.

http://jan.groothuijse.net/img/oajgdm2alpha.pk3

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #293 on: February 13, 2013, 01:21:34 PM »

Try not to use flared shaders in patches. They slow down a lot the FPS in maps. I've learnt that the hard way in some maps.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #294 on: February 13, 2013, 02:03:02 PM »

@jangroothuijse: Nice job ! Work better on height of the floors, player dont have to hurt himself by jumping down if possible, i think....

About my map, i'm rebuilding and compiling it and soon i give you the new download link.

Dont care about much decorative stuff, for me it's ok now  Grin

Wink

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #295 on: February 13, 2013, 03:14:33 PM »

@Pelya: please, reduce the size of your photos  Tongue Cheesy

I've just linked random photos found by Google, sorry about that.
Let's just spam this thread instead, so it will continue on another page, and you won't need to load that page with big photos anymore Grin
We need only 5 more posts.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #296 on: February 13, 2013, 03:35:52 PM »

Added oajgm2 to the Wiki, and updated oa_akomdm4, so every map of the pack should be updated at this point.

Tomorrow starts the first deadline, and I haven't even finished the maps I was working on. -.- Dammit!

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #297 on: February 13, 2013, 04:11:32 PM »

Final Version !!  Grin

Download Link:
Code:

Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:38:32 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #298 on: February 13, 2013, 04:48:36 PM »

Final Version !!

Wouldn't call it like that so far. The outside of the ship could use some more than just geometric contrasts (like textural or even lighting) as I only look at the screenshot.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 05:10:24 PM by Suicizer » Logged

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #299 on: February 13, 2013, 05:05:35 PM »

Updated oa_akomdm4.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 62
  Print  

Jump to: