Poll
Question: Common map naming for OACMP (map dm1/ctf1 as example) [ends 20/12]
oacmpdm01/oacmpctf01 - 2 (28.6%)
oacmpdm001/oacmpctf001 - 0 (0%)
oacmpdm1/oacmpctf1 - 4 (57.1%)
oacmp1dm01/oacmp1ctf01 - 0 (0%)
oacmp01dm01/oacmp01ctf01 - 0 (0%)
Other option (elaborate or your vote won't count) - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 62
  Print  
Author Topic: [REL] OpenArena Community Mappack - Volume 1 - FINAL  (Read 1130875 times)
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #425 on: February 28, 2013, 11:49:34 AM »

So, as a general rule: "every brush should be detail brush, except the brushes in contact with the nothing."
I disagree.

This will lower compile time by reducing vis. But reduced vis may also reduce frame rate and cause higher network load.

Any brush that can block a players view in some way should be structural. This includes internal walls, floors and non-transparent pathways. Transparent brushes must always be detail.
The compiler can also slightly optimize structural brushes (although the compiler has VERY limited optimization capabilities). 

If vis compile time is a problem then compile your tests without vis. Depending on the map layout vis may be next to useless anyway especially for space maps.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #426 on: February 28, 2013, 01:32:48 PM »

Seems like compiling is similar as  PVS-culling. How longer generating takes, the more performance is being graded upwards.

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #427 on: February 28, 2013, 02:57:00 PM »

Depends the case and how much the map is optimized editor-side. There are maps which takes hours to compile only to generate an unplayable single-digit-FPS mess.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #428 on: February 28, 2013, 03:43:43 PM »

Reminds me on one of my maps Cheesy

Anyway: i made a little progress today, but will not be able to be in time for tomorrows next beta Sad
jangroothuijse
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #429 on: February 28, 2013, 04:10:34 PM »

Reminds me on one of my maps Cheesy

Anyway: i made a little progress today, but will not be able to be in time for tomorrows next beta Sad

I don't think there is another beta for 2 weeks.
DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OpenArena_Community_Mappack](DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OpenArena_Community_Mappack

Or am i reading your message wrong?

@Compiling
Only if i use the bounce 8 radiosity stuff (which i honestly cannot see...) will my maps take longer than 3 minutes to compile.
Indeed using 'fast vis' its done allmost instantly, but that means all vertices that are in the view frustum (hidden or not) will always be rendered. Which can be seen in r_speeds verts.

You might also use hint burshes to get more fps AND lower compile times.
http://tremmapping.pbworks.com/w/page/22453205/Understanding%20Vis%20and%20Hint%20Brushes
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #430 on: February 28, 2013, 09:32:27 PM »

Yep, next beta comes in march 15th.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #431 on: March 01, 2013, 01:59:44 AM »

0Kelvin (who is of you? Moixie?) just created this page on the wiki.
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Speed_up_visibility_calculations

Could you please take a look to that page (especially Sago)? Thank you...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #432 on: March 01, 2013, 04:32:26 AM »

0kelvin was a banned user who blanked all of his posts. Too bad, they had a lot of valuable info.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #433 on: March 01, 2013, 10:43:04 AM »

I have modified the map and going to compile it.
With some modify at the polygons i hope this time it's lighter than before.

I have found a couple of issues and fix it.

Some weapons replacement will improve the playability, let me know.

.......stay tuned......

Wink

EDIT: i think someone can make a ctf map like CTF-Suspense without vehicles....  Tongue
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:46:11 AM by Akom74 » Logged

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #434 on: March 01, 2013, 12:53:51 PM »

LAST (?) Update !!  Grin

Removed the Lightning Gun and placed the Plasmagun where before was the Quad.

Added the Chaingun mixed with the Quad Damage at the center of the pillars.

Now the custom lamps are more brightest.

Download in the attachment  Tongue Cheesy

Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:05:29 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #435 on: March 01, 2013, 01:30:56 PM »

I was wondering... what about if you take the DM-Peak way and place something like a mountain below that structure? And, since we're at it, something which sustains that Plasma platform.

The Chaingun could be switched with the Plasma, since that's the place of the Superweapon, and it's a pretty risky place to get a weapon.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #436 on: March 01, 2013, 02:35:11 PM »

I was wondering... what about if you take the DM-Peak way and place something like a mountain below that structure? And, since we're at it, something which sustains that Plasma platform.

The Chaingun could be switched with the Plasma, since that's the place of the Superweapon, and it's a pretty risky place to get a weapon.

The switch between the Plasma and the Chaingun it's possible and easy, but seriously you want me to place a mountain below the map ? It have the "rocks" below and it's too big for place a moutain, now the compile time is 40 minutes..... Rest In PEACE!.... Tongue Tongue

P.S.: The UT map you mean have a big rock below itself and it's squared at the bottom, i think my way is better, but i wait other comments about it. Tongue

I can think to something to place below the Plasma platform.......  Grin

Wink
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 02:37:25 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #437 on: March 02, 2013, 07:04:30 AM »

Sorry for the double post, but after lot of brush work, i've finally modified & recompile this map.

I hope you like it and please, if you find a bug tell me.

Now the Quad Damage is in the center of the map alone and tha Chaingun is in the external dangerous place.

I have mixed the Plasmagun with the Shotgun, hope you like it for playability.

Just for the record, here is the time of compiling:
writing C:/Quake3/baseq3/maps/oa_akomdm5.bsp 7170 seconds elapsed
completed.
Run time was 2 hours, 1 minutes and 19 seconds

Download the attachment for the new version.

Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:06:02 PM by Akom74 » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #438 on: March 02, 2013, 07:13:15 AM »

I've tried to compile oa_akomdm5 on my work PC, it took more fhan 1.5 hours, and I've aborted compilation.
It's not the slowest PC around - Core i5 650, 3.2Ghz, with 4 CPU threads and 4Gb RAM, q3map2 process used 2Gb RAM.
So it's not your PC Akom, the map is just big.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #439 on: March 02, 2013, 07:24:18 AM »

I've tried to compile oa_akomdm5 on my work PC, it took more fhan 1.5 hours, and I've aborted compilation.
It's not the slowest PC around - Core i5 650, 3.2Ghz, with 4 CPU threads and 4Gb RAM, q3map2 process used 2Gb RAM.
So it's not your PC Akom, the map is just big.

Wow ! Lucky for us that FPS remain acceptable  Grin Tongue

Enjoy the last version and tell me. The flames hurts the player and enough. No health, no jump.

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #440 on: March 02, 2013, 07:48:35 AM »

Updated oa_akomdm2 (23/2) and oa_akomdm5 (3/3) on the server. Unfortunately, I cannot edit the wiki to add these changes. -.-
It seems that the static server of the wiki is pretty unresponsive.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #441 on: March 02, 2013, 07:57:24 AM »

Updated oa_akomdm2 (23/2) and oa_akomdm5 (3/3) on the server. Unfortunately, I cannot edit the wiki to add these changes. -.-
It seems that the static server of the wiki is pretty unresponsive.

Unfortunately i've found (now) two graphic bugs..... too many deformed polygons i think.....
.....i'm fixing it..... tell me if you find another issues.....

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #442 on: March 02, 2013, 09:54:14 AM »

Isn't there the medkit anymore?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #443 on: March 02, 2013, 10:05:39 AM »

@GiG: i quote myself, i've removed the portable objects (both) in the old version of this map.

Update's summary:

1) Replace two shotgun with granadelauncher.
2) Remove portable objects and replace them with Chaingun/Quad Damage "teamed".
3) Put the plasmagun where before there was the Quad Damage.
4) Move the Ammo Boxes at the corner of the central room.

Have you tried the last version ? What do you think ?
Have you noticed bugs ?

Wink

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #444 on: March 02, 2013, 04:44:15 PM »

I've tried the new oa_akomdm5, I did not notice any gameplay issues - it's smooth and the weapons are balanced well, there are no camp spots, it's enjoyable to play on this version of map.
I would make all the lamps 1.5x brighter, sometimes the bots can hide inside the shadows in the main room (and I did increase screen brightness a bit). But that's minor complaint, I think the map is already good for the release.

And after release, I gonna modify the map myself, to make those blue things heal you 1 health, and throw to the nearest blue thing, so you can bunny-hop them without touching buttons and have 200 health in 3 minutes, and you will definitely look stupid while doing that, mwahaha
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #445 on: March 02, 2013, 08:24:04 PM »

One last thing: if you played the map Sanctuary, you'll see that when the Redeemer spawns, there's a signal all over the map. I was thinking... what if you place a trigger so every time a player enters into an area, a sound can be heard alongside of the map? That way, other players can be noticed that someone is trying to obtain the Chaingun.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #446 on: March 03, 2013, 02:07:24 AM »

And after release, I gonna modify the map myself, to make those blue things heal you 1 health, and throw to the nearest blue thing, so you can bunny-hop them without touching buttons and have 200 health in 3 minutes, and you will definitely look stupid while doing that, mwahaha

LOL !  Cheesy Cheesy

@Neon_Knight (1): Ehm, i don't have UT3 and i can not see the map, i've watched some screenshots online (not many really) and some videos on Youtube, but many videos are dark and i can not see the redeemer, where is ? Can you give me some screenshots of the UT3 map (in PM ), maybe i have to modify again my oa_akomdm5.

@Neon_Knight (2): .....but the Chaingun is visible from all players. Who cares, i'll do it !!  Grin Grin

Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:07:57 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #447 on: March 03, 2013, 05:31:11 AM »

Well, even if they aren't tagged that way, for all intent and purposes, the Nailgun, the Chaingun and the Prox Launcher are considered superweapons, alongside the BFG.

If you want, I can include that effect so you can see for yourself. Tongue

Is the last akomdm5 the most recent version, and does it include the .map file?

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #448 on: March 03, 2013, 05:56:37 AM »

Hi all of you  Grin

After some brush job and various things, here is the last version of the fifth map:
Download the attachment.

The bridge now is with wood and some brushes are deleted.
The center room seems illuminated as good.

@Neon_Knight: inside the "scripts" folder you can find the original .map file.  I've inserted the alarm sound when someone try to keep the Chaingun, tell me if you like it.

@ALL: The "stone robots" are also free to use, if you like it you can use it !  Tongue Cheesy

Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:07:42 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #449 on: March 03, 2013, 06:26:47 AM »

D/Ling your map.

Also, remember what I've said about your letters? Well, searching in this forum, I've found a link to a place with GPL fonts.
Here're some OA-compatible designs you might like:
http://www.dafont.com/top.php?text=Neon+Knight+is+in+Action+!!&fpp=50&af=on&l%5B%5D=10&period=2
http://www.dafont.com/top.php?text=GiG%27s+Nightmare+!&fpp=50&af=on&l%5B%5D=10&period=2
http://www.dafont.com/top.php?text=FRAG+BASTARD+!&fpp=50&af=on&l%5B%5D=10&period=2
http://www.dafont.com/top.php?text=MOIXIE+WAS+HERE!&fpp=50&af=on&l%5B%5D=10&period=2
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 06:31:43 AM by Neon_Knight » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 62
  Print  

Jump to: