Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Older versions  (Read 42575 times)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« on: December 27, 2012, 03:37:43 PM »

I've started to port previous versions of maps for future versions of OA. Players might prefer these versions instead of our improved ones for different reasons. Though we're not going backwards (Tongue) these versions are offered for offline/server play. These versions have their building/playing problems fixed and have also many stuff for proper game support.

Some considerations:
* The maps have different names, so not to clash with the current ones. For example, am_galmevish from 0.8.1, the map name is 081am_galmevish; am_underworks from 0.8.5 is 085am_underworks and so on...
* These versions are considered non-official versions, and as such, aren't officially supported nor are we going to include them in official releases. If anything, we want to move on from the "ugly" visuals which already makes OA gaming's favourite punchbag.

General changes in all of the maps:
- Location messages added for teamgames.
- Music added.
- Level titles corrected to mirror their OA 0.8.8 counterparts
- Some rebuilding needed because they contained errors.
- New levelshots.
- Intermission points.
- info_player_start changed to info_player_deathmatch. Every info_player_deathmatch has the "initial" flag set to 1.
- CTF-based maps have support for every CTF-based gametype: CTF, 1FCTF, Harv, Over, eCTF, Elim, DD.
- FFA-based maps have support for FFA, LMS, and depending on their size, TDM, Tourney and Elimination.

Map-specific changes:
- oa_bases5 is now editable in newer editors such as GTKRadiant 1.5.0 and NetRadiant 1.6.0!
- am_galmevish had a problem which screwed q3map2 compilation. It's fixed.
- ctf_gate1 works properly in every gametype.
- ctf_inyard's bspc problem solved.
- ctf_inyard's clipping problem solved.
- ctf_inyard's HoM problem solved.
- hydronex is now editable with modern editors such as NetRadiant 1.6.0.

Download link list:

Other maps being currently worked on:
  • ctf_compromise (0.7.7 version - the foggy one)
  • oasago2 (0.7.1 version - the raw looking one)

You can also suggest other old versions of official maps too. =)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 02:14:54 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
MegaAIM
I DERAIL BY PLUGGING MY CHANNEL AND COMPLAIN THAT ITS REMOVED
Nub

Cakes -8

Why shoot the corpse once, if theres 50 in my gun?

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 03:45:45 PM »

Nice I like this Neon_Knight, it really is prefered by most older players.

I expected it to be in the beta version of this game, but that only makes the first real version quite good to look forward to.

Smiley

Speaking of older versions any chance you have the previous versions of OA somewhere?

076 etc?
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 03:59:34 PM »

No because often the older versions have non-Free infractions.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 04:37:33 PM »

I've also forgot to mention that the maps have different names, so not to clash with the current ones. For example, am_galmevish from 0.8.1, the map name is 081am_galmevish; am_underworks from 0.8.5 is 085am_underworks and so on...

These versions won't be supported. If anything, we want to move on from the "ugly" visuals which already makes OA gaming's favourite punchbag.

In fact, I've already placed them in the "Unofficial OpenArena Maps" page in the wiki. =)

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
MegaAIM
Nub

Cakes -8

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 07:26:06 PM »

Nice again the format of the older map versions is easy to callvotes for or to load from consoles.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 10:10:15 AM »

ctf_inyard (0.7.7) version, ready to go.

Aside of the main changes (some of them the map already had):

- bspc compilation problem solved by way of botclipping.
- HoMs at the courtyard area fixed. Previously, many glitches were seen.
- Clipping at the central area fixed. Some gameplay may change because of this.

Waiting for the link... I'll post it here once the map is approved.

Also hydronex (v0.7.1)

Aside of the classic changes...
- Lighting fixed.
- The map is now properly editable under modern editors!
- Imbalance with boxes solved.
- Glitches with misaligned walls fixed.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 04:05:18 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 09:09:23 AM »

Uploaded ctf_inyard (0.7.7) for those who miss the death pit. Tongue

MegaAIM
Nub

Cakes -8

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 02:11:01 PM »

I never remember 0.7.7 as a release but some how i have that version on a old usb.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 09:45:53 AM »

That's because 0.7.7 is a patch for the 0.7.6 release (it "solves" the package mismatch problem, but at the cost of backwards compatibility), like 0.7.1 was for 0.7.0 (this one fixes a problem in the "fan" map). There're practically no differences between those versions (070 with 071 and 076 with 077), so the maps were named more for convenience rather than exact historical representation.

BTW, new map uploaded, hydronex from 0.7.1. Tongue

MegaAIM
Nub

Cakes -8

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 03:32:08 PM »

I always wondered if the current OA maps can be extracted from their pak files?
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 05:18:43 PM »

Why would you want to?

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
MegaAIM
Nub

Cakes -8

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 05:50:09 AM »

For the same reason your adding them now Smiley
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 09:50:12 AM »

For the same reason your adding them now Smiley

Yes, the .pk3 is just a .zip in disguise.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 05:12:26 PM »

I'm still waiting MapRaider to upload the files, but ATM, here're the links for:

- 0.7.7 slimefac
- 0.8.1 ps37ctf
- 0.8.5 am_underworks

I'm still trying to figure out a problem with 0.7.7 ctf_compromise.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 02:11:53 PM »

The 11 uploaded versions are now available in a single pack:
http://www.moddb.com/downloads/openarena-old-versions-mappack

Just uncompress in the openarena folder and run the game!

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2016, 08:39:52 PM »

I've promised to deliver the 0.7.1 version of oasago2 a long time ago. In the end I've decided to use the 0.8.5 version as it already includes the bugfixes done since then.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/napt6crwg13pjrk/071oasago2.pk3?dl=0

Changelog:
- Better gametype support (including Possession)
- Replaced those uber-tris torches with lower tris ones (HUGE performance boost, less tris to render)
- Now it compiles!
- New levelshot.
- A bit of rework regarding lighting.

I'm already working on improving the current version of oasago2, starting with the RG returning to its previous position ofc (how nobody complained about this when we were working on the map on 0.8.8 dev baffles me).

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2016, 01:54:51 AM »

I'm already working on improving the current version of oasago2, starting with the RG returning to its previous position ofc (how nobody complained about this when we were working on the map on 0.8.8 dev baffles me).
You don't plan to move it back to the position where it has direct view of the flag, do you?

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2016, 07:02:38 AM »

There was a lot of people complaining about the 0.8.8 position of the Railgun. Of course, said critics only came after 0.8.8 was released. There were also criticism about the steepiness of the bridge. Those are the first problems. I would opt for removing the RG, however the map is played in Instagib, so the only feasible option is to figure it out how to limit the RG power map-wise.

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2016, 02:43:30 PM »

There was a lot of people complaining about the 0.8.8 position of the Railgun.
Sorry, I did not realise that it was moved in 0.8.8. I do believe that the weapon placement in 0.8.5 was as good as it gets. I do not want to go back to the 0.7.1 placement.

Of course, said critics only came after 0.8.8 was released.
You will never get feedback before a release. It is considered a fact. That is why rapid releases has become so popular.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2016, 03:23:42 PM »

I've mentioned the change in this post. It was the only weapon/item placement change done to that map.

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2016, 02:51:36 AM »

On the original map the Railgun and the Plasmagun was placed on the outer platforms. The only real gameplay problem as I remember was that the flag was visible from the Railgun spawn spot. Gameplay wise the only change needed was to switch the Plasmagun and the Railgun. A small change with large (positive) effect.

I did not want to remove the railguns from the platforms. In a 5v5 bot match it was part of the map that rails would fire back and forth while crossing the bridge.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2016, 06:55:46 AM »

Noted. However the person who gave me the feedback told me that keeping the RG in the ledge would give players who spawn in that position a way to fight back people at the rest of the visible area from that point.

Another suggestion I was given was to place the Railgun in the bridge at the middle of the map, but I think it's overkill.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2016, 07:01:10 AM »

Here's the full text:

The new version of this map is close enough to the old version to hardly justify its small but somewhat deleterious changes. The coloration is interesting and, I would assume, an attempt at curbing the washout of the original. It doesn’t really help much in some cases, as with Tony, for example. But as the chief aim of OA3 is to alter character visibility and visuals, I doubt this will be a factor worth considering.

The main problem I have with this map is in the new location of the Rail Gun. If you’re in your own base in CTF, and an enemy flies in, kills you, and grabs your Flag, and you spawn far away on the Rail platform that now contains no Rail Gun, you have no way of preventing the enemy from leaving with the base with your Flag. As it currently stands, you would have to run across the old Rail platform, drop down to the Rocket Launcher, and then Rocket Jump up to the new Rail platform, all before the enemy can clear the bridge into his own base. There is simply no practical way to do this. The Rail Gun should be returned to its previous location. Camping will always be an issue on this map, and trying to stifle it should not take precedence over preserving the map’s core elements of gameplay.

Also, I don’t really understand why the steps to the bridge were made steeper, but as this map is basically the Holy Grail of original Open Arena maps, a good rule is that changes to its design should only be made when absolutely necessary.

Here's the source file: http://pastebin.com/VqQSEhiX

And here's the source of the feedback: https://www.reddit.com/r/openarena/comments/4wsn91/feedback_on_official_maps_as_of_088/

EDIT: Just for the record, here's another piece of feedback I've received, this time in a closed Facebook group:

hmm....<(spontaneously)>...replace the current Railgun with Lightninggun, and place one Railgun high above the bridge (only reachable by rocketjumping). ~~And the current LG with Rocketlauncher, and the RL at the Flags with yellow armor....)) ..ya, that feels nice <:3 ~< as a Quad-fan, I also liked the idea of a Quaddamage beneath the bridge (where yellow armor is now) ...but that may be too much of a game-changer, ..should be tried out :~D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 12:38:32 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2016, 02:26:29 PM »

The first feedback comment seems to be the same thing I say. The railgun back on the railgun platform in the place that targets the bridge.

The second feedback comment would make a whole other map.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2017, 02:27:54 PM »

Just a little heads-up.

I've opened a maintenance repo for this as well:

https://github.com/NeonKnightOA/oaolderversions

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: