Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Green (jacket) armor  (Read 18967 times)
Jakash3
I EDITED ALL MY POSTS OUT LOL!!! TAKE THAT, INTERNET FORUM!!
Half-Nub

Cakes -9

SELF-IMPOSED CENSORSHIP FTW!

« on: January 22, 2013, 10:44:25 AM »

I give up on openarena
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 01:01:29 AM by Jakash3 » Logged

BY THE WAY I GAVE UP ON OPENARENA
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 10:54:48 AM »

I didn't know about this. Might be interesting.

That was not in original Q3 game, and this is a first explaination of why it is not in OA.

It looks like that Quake Live has got it.
http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showthread.php?1175-green-armour-what-does-it-do
http://quakelive.wikia.com/wiki/Armor

I suppose that may be nice.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 11:48:26 AM »

Idea supported.
Just a model is needed now...
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 12:05:45 PM »

Idea supported.
Just a model is needed now...

Just change the colour of the yellow armour's skin to green? By the way, it could also be a blue or even purple armour instead to be more original and not a QuakeLive clone.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 12:19:50 PM by Suicizer » Logged

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 12:57:31 AM »

I think some little change to the model would be welcome... If it's a lighter armor (jacket), it should look a little different, IMHO. That would be useful also in case of greyscale option (advised with anaglyph stereoscopic feature).
I'm not against keeping it green... maybe we may use a different degree of green than the one used in QL.

PS: Are you sure only those few source code lines are required? E.g. what would have one to type to get it thorugh the "give" cheat? Give item_armor_jacket? Give light armor?

PPS: just a reminder: other than a 3D model, also a 2D icon is needed.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Jakash3
Half-Nub

Cakes -9

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 01:11:30 AM »

I give up on openarena
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 01:01:21 AM by Jakash3 » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 02:09:12 AM »

I think some little change to the model would be welcome... If it's a lighter armor (jacket), it should look a little different, IMHO. That would be useful also in case of greyscale option (advised with anaglyph stereoscopic feature).
I'm not against keeping it green... maybe we may use a different degree of green than the one used in QL.
quakelive actually uses the same model for all 3 armors with just a color difference. I think this should just be the yellow armor recolored to green.
In OA 0.8.alien red and yellow armors 3d models are a little different. Red one includes shoulder protection, the other one not. With cg_simpleitems enabled, instead, they differ only in colour: I think that the shoulder protection may be removed from the 2D item of the yellow armor, to better mimic the 3D model.
I suppose the green armor may also use the same model as the yellow one, but placing something different into the texture, e.g. buttons or a "zipper", to give the idea of a jacket (also the 2d item may include some points or a line to mimic buttons or zipper).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 02:12:08 AM by Gig » Logged

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 02:49:38 AM »

Or we could follow Cube and make the green armor a bikini. it'd fit anyway

btw, it wouldn't be ripping off Quake live necessarily. Quake and Quake2 had green armor also. Doom also had green armor.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 10:48:13 AM »

But it requires a modeller or an experienced artist Wink
Fromhell as an example... Cheesy
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 10:54:28 AM »

A bikini for an armor? Uhm... I would that a such thing for a mod...
Maybe something resembling a Bulletproof vest would better fit.

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 03:06:06 PM »

A bikini for an armor? Uhm... I would that a such thing for a mod...
Maybe something resembling a Bulletproof vest would better fit.

It would fit the female models...

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 01:51:55 AM »

I have to split this in two three separate posts due to the max of 4 attachments.
In this post, I attach the current (taken from SVN Revision 951. I suppose they are those we find in OA 0.8.8) red and yellow armor ICONS. They are from the "icons" folder. I dubbed them as "_original" here, just to distinguish them.
And I also attach iconr_yellow.tga just modified by me (GPLv2, of course) with GIMP. I removed the shoulder protection from the yellow icon, to better mimic the 3D model of the yellow armor.

What do you think about it? (Note: you can find a screenshot of it in the third post.) Can we update the SVN with it?

PS: I noticed my file was smaller than the original ones (1,6 KB instead of 16 KB). I think this was due to the fact GIMP asked me to save with RLE compression... Is it okay to use that option when creating OA icons? Anyway, to be sure, now I saved it again, de-selecting RLE compression, and the new file is 16 KB like the original ones.

PPS: testing it in-game I saw I had to use the "rubber" a little more. Now I have updated the file, you can download it.

PPPS: If you want to test the new icon in-game, just copy zz_armoricon_test1.pk3 into your baseoa folder. Launch a map, set /cg_simpleitmes 1, go looking to a yellow armor in the map.
The test pack also contains the green armor icon (the "_line" one... se the next post): considering no OA maps have it, you can load one with /devmap command, then use /give light armor to see its icon in lower right corner (very important: the green armor does not work with OA 0.8.8... you have to use the special OAXmod modified by Jackash3 that added the green armor.)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 02:59:33 AM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 01:56:25 AM »

And now, three different ideas for the green armor.
One is exactly like the "new" yellow armor from the post above this one, just with a different color (but I suggest to do not use the same exact silhouette for different items). The other two try to mimic buttons or a zipper (just using a central line), to give more the idea of a jacket. They are GPLv2, obviously.

What do you think about them?

PS: If you don't have time to try it in-game following the instructions of the thread above, you can find here a screenshot of /give light armor (in OAX by Jackash3) taken with the "line" version of the green armor.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 02:39:50 AM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 02:57:14 AM »

I've done a third post to post a few more files.
zz_armoricon_test2.pk3 allows you to test the "_buttons" version of the green icon (again, using the OAX from jackash3 and the "give" cheat).
I also attach screenshot representing the green armor "buttons version" icon (in the lower left corner) and the "yellow armor new", so you can take a look to them without the need of rutting the game.

Do you like more the "line" or the "buttons" version of the green armor?

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 07:49:51 PM »

Doesn't the incorporation of new items enter into DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/NOTTODO]NOTTODO territory? The only exceptions to this rule was the Team Arena stuff.

Change the core gameplay of the original game. This includes the physics, weapons, and anything that's the default gameplay. That's stuff for a mod, not for the original gameplay

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Jakash3
Half-Nub

Cakes -9

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 08:59:28 PM »

I give up on openarena
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 01:01:10 AM by Jakash3 » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 09:11:50 PM »

You may be talking about custom Q3 maps, because I don't remember seeing it in any stock Q3 map, or TA map for that matter.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Jakash3
Half-Nub

Cakes -9

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 09:13:01 PM »

I give up on openarena
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 01:01:04 AM by Jakash3 » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 02:11:33 AM »

Doesn't the incorporation of new items enter into DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/NOTTODO]NOTTODO territory? The only exceptions to this rule was the Team Arena stuff.

Change the core gameplay of the original game. This includes the physics, weapons, and anything that's the default gameplay. That's stuff for a mod, not for the original gameplay
I don't think it's NOTTODO stuff (obviously, IMHO), because:
1) it does NOT change the effect of an existing item.
2) it will not affect any existing OA map, until the maps will be purposedly edited to incorporate it. I mean, it would not change the balancing of existing maps.
3) Fromhell seems to do not be against it... (s)he mentioned the fact that Quake Live, Quake, Quake II and Doom actually had green armor.
4) It's not a big change, but it may allow to place a single "+25" item instead of a series of 5 "+5" armor shards, helping keeping low the number of entities in the map.

Of course, we can live happily also without it, but I don't think adding it would be a problem of any kind.

------------------------------

If we want to sum up what is needed for the green armor:
A) Gamecode update (ready)
B) 2D icon (ready, if you like it and it resembles the actual model)
C) 3D model... also simply a copy of the yellow armor with a different texture (e.g. with buttons or zipper) may fit.
D) Gamecode update merged into official OAX code
E) 2D icon and 3D model inserted into SVN
F) Map editors configuration updated to support it
G) Some map makers adding it to future maps
H) A new OpenArena release (OA 0.9 or OA 3.0, I suppose), that would contain it and the maps with it.

-------------------------------
PS: Guys, what do you think about the "fixed" yellow armor 2D icon (without the shoulder protection)? Can I ask for its update in SVN?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 02:50:15 AM by Gig » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: