Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenArena & Lags  (Read 53091 times)
*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« on: September 03, 2013, 10:42:09 AM »

Hello

Lately I have been playing OpenArena, quite less, and less. My reason for this is because I am laging much all over, not just one server. I don't know what to do, I hear I should call my ISP, but I don't know what to actually complain about. I know there are settings for OpenArena that can help me fix this issue. I really enjoy this game, but I can't play with horrific lags as i have been having lately.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

(I please let me know if this is the correct section of the forum to post in)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:47:55 AM by *Ruthless* » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 10:53:11 AM »

Probably, best section would have been "technical snafus".

However, do your problems appear with this specific game only?

Are you sure you are picking up servers where you have a low ping? How much is your average ping?
Can you turn on DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Graphic_options#Lagometer]Lagometer and tell us what do you see in it? Only green or sometimes also yellow and red lines?

Which kind of connection do you have got?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 11:12:35 AM »

Ok,

Well I am using the "lagometer" I would post a screenshot, but the lagometer does not show clear enough to see. Therefore I will describe it to you. It looks very rough, its not flat at all, its green and when weapons etc are firing, it changes to yellow, green and big red line sometimes. It is very hard to tell you the ping, because different servers are in different locations. I would estimate on a overseas server, my ping is around lets say 98 - 110. Now it is 120 - 150.

I did attempt to check my ping in other games, and they pretty much look the same. Quake Live shows the exact same as OpenArena in my lagometer.

I could not understand the descriptions of the forum. :)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 01:32:39 AM »

Uhm... which kind of connection are you using? ADSL? Or what?
Is your PC connected to your modem/router directly with a cable, or through wifi? If possible, using a cable should be advisable.
How are your base network settings in OA (Setup -> System -> Network -> Data rate)?
Some advanced network settings are explained here: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Tweak

Do you experience the same problems in Quake Live?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 10:47:42 AM »

In the menu, under network, it says LAN/Cable/DSL. I viewed under the wikia that you linked me to, some of the tweaks I am already using.

I don't think my problems are the same in Quake Live.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 10:54:15 AM »

What kind of connection are you actually using? Adsl? Adsl+wifi? 3G? 4G?

Can you try running http://www.speedtest.net and http://www.pingtest.net tests, and post results?

*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 11:46:42 AM »

What kind of connection are you actually using? Adsl? Adsl+wifi? 3G? 4G?

Im not sure what those mean, Im on a wired connection mostly, and I do use wireless as well. I spoke to my ISP company yesterday and they said things look fine.

speedtest
pingtest
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 12:13:42 AM »

Uhm... although results do not include packet loss information (due to your browser not having java active), your results seem quite good.

Do you notice differences when you play using cable and when using wireless?

*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 07:37:45 AM »

No they are about the same Sad

Its very strange Gig
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 08:09:14 AM »

Can you do some try with a "fresh" OA install (basepath) and "clean" settings/autodownload folder (homepath)?
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/FAQ#Configuration_files_and_automatic_downloaded_files_path
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/FAQ#Where_are_the_configuration_files_saved.3F

In short: decompressing OA installation zip to a different folder (and then running its executable, hence using the new one as the basepath folder), after having renamed your existing "OpenArena" folder under %appdata% to something like OpenArena.old (this way, a completely new "homepath" OpenArena folder will be created at next OA start). (Alternate way for using a "clean" homepath folder here: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/FAQ#Can_I_change_the_directory_to_where_configuration_and_autodownloaded_files_are_saved.3F)

Also some screenshots including your lagometer may be nice.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 12:21:05 AM »

I forgot to say this: if the "clean OA test" works, this means that the problem is caused by either a third-party pk3 file, or by some setting in your configuration. At that point, you may use your standard OA folders, and just rename q3config.cfg to q3config.cfg.sav (or the name you prefer): at next program start, a clean q3config.cfg will be created (in baseoa only... you may have to repeat the trick in mods folder, if necessary)... if the problem is gone, it was caused by some setting... if the problem is still there, it was probably caused by some strange pk3.

See also: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/FAQ#Yesterday_everything_worked_correctly.2C_but_today_I_experience_strange_problems

*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 07:55:44 PM »

Here is my lagommeter at supeRCTF
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 11:47:10 PM »

Uhm... lower part of the graph seems ok... in the upper part, instead, it seems to me there is some yellow that should not be there.

PS: Maybe a screenshot may have been clearer..
(e.g. "/bind f12 screenshotjpeg", then "f12" during play. Then sarching for the file under "%appdata%/openarena/current_mod/screenshots")

*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 06:41:11 AM »

The screenshot does not show not show the meter clear.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 07:59:58 PM by *Ruthless* » Logged
*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 07:55:54 PM »

Huh

At normal its 97 - 106
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 08:00:28 PM by *Ruthless* » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 08:40:24 PM »

That doesn't look like 0.8.8. Which server are you playing on?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 11:54:49 PM »

All that yellow on the upper part of the lagometer isn't normal. There is something strange.

Could you please tell us your values for these variables?
- rate
- snaps
- com_maxfps
- cl_packetdup
- cl_maxpackets
- cg_delag
- cl_timenudge
- cg_projectilenudge
- cg_smoothclients
- g_synchronousClients
- cl_nodelta
- cg_predictitems
- cg_cmdTimeNudge
- r_swapInterval

((DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Tweak#Tweaking_online_gaming_parameters)

Thank you.

*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 08:30:09 AM »

- rate "25000"
- snaps "40"
- com_maxfps "125"
- cl_packetdup "1"
- cl_maxpackets "125"
- cg_delag "1"
- cl_timenudge "-50"
- cg_projectilenudge
- cg_smoothclients
- g_synchronousClients
- cl_nodelta "0" default
- cg_predictitems "1"
- cg_cmdTimeNudge (not in cfg) default
- r_swapInterval "0"

Theres some type of lag at other servers as well, but this server by far is most not fun with lag. And it is very, very popular despite the one map rotation. (Congratulations)  Cry

That doesn't look like 0.8.8. Which server are you playing on?

The server is super,CTF, I understand it isn't the best of servers.. as some know. But is there a difference in lag between 0.8.1 and 0.8.8? or other versions of OpenArena?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 08:32:44 AM by *Ruthless* » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 09:21:49 AM »

What happens setting cl_timenudge back to 0?
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Tweak#Tweaking_online_gaming_parameters reports that option is incompatible with delagged play, and you also have cg_delag enabled!

Note: it seems that server uses a "CTF" mod folder... thus, you may have to change the parameter also while playing on that server, other than while playing locally, on baseoa (I mean, you may have different settings in %appdata%\openarena\baseoa\q3config.cfg and %appdata%\openarena\ctf\q3config.cfg).

PS: In your post above, you did not specify your current values for some of those variables.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 09:33:25 AM by Gig » Logged

grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 09:25:18 AM »

Could you try the following; open the in-game console with shift+esc
Code:
/seta cg_drawFPS 1
An fps meter will appear in the top right corner while playing. Do you constantly get those 125fps you've set?

If not, try the following settings
Code:
/seta com_maxFPS 76
/seta cl_maxPackets 76
/seta cl_packetDup 0

On a sidenote, the super, CTF servers are located in Germany, maybe you should try some servers located in the USA.

This space is for rent.
*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 12:03:40 PM »

What happens setting cl_timenudge back to 0?
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Tweak#Tweaking_online_gaming_parameters reports that option is incompatible with delagged play, and you also have cg_delag enabled!

Note: it seems that server uses a "CTF" mod folder... thus, you may have to change the parameter also while playing on that server, other than while playing locally, on baseoa (I mean, you may have different settings in %appdata%\openarena\baseoa\q3config.cfg and %appdata%\openarena\ctf\q3config.cfg).

PS: In your post above, you did not specify your current values for some of those variables.

Sorry Gig, the lines:

- cg_projectilenudge
- cg_smoothclients
- g_synchronousClients

are also not in my .cfg

Here are the screenshots of what it looks like.

/cg_delag 1 & /cl_timenudge 0 TOP

/cl_delag 0 & /cl_timenudge -50 BOTTOM

**Can someone create a page on wikia on how we should fix lags? I use to never lag on every server I went on. I can't really play anywhere. This is brand new since some weeks ago.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 01:38:36 PM by *Ruthless* » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 01:12:09 AM »

Sorry Gig, the lines:
are also not in my .cfg
Strange... however, you can check your values for some variables also without the need of opening q3config.cfg with a text editor... just type the name of the variable in console, without specifying a value (but do this after you loaded at least a map, after you launch the game).

Here are the screenshots of what it looks like.

/cg_delag 1 & /cl_timenudge 0 TOP

/cl_delag 0 & /cl_timenudge -50 BOTTOM
Do you mean the first two screenshots (those with yellow in the upper part of the graph) are with cl_timenudge 0, and the last two screenshots (without yellow in the upper part of the graph) are with cl_timenudge -50? Are you sure?
And what about the feeling you have while playing with those settings? Do you notice differences?

An important thing I have not understood: how does this "lag" affect you? In your screenshots, no lost packets (red lines in the lower part of the graph) are shown... do you experience "Connection interrupted" messages or what?

**Can someone create a page on wikia on how we should fix lags? I use to never lag on every server I went on. I can't really play anywhere. This is brand new since some weeks ago.
That's not so easy to say "how to fix lag". We already have infos about some networking configuration problems and about networking parameters in (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Multiplayer and (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Tweak#Tweaking_online_gaming_parameters (and for problems suddenly appeared, we have (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/FAQ#Yesterday_everything_worked_correctly.2C_but_today_I_experience_strange_problems).
There are many different reasons that may bring to lag... I fear there is no magic wand for that. However, did you try connecting to some US server?

And however, it seems to me to remember that you said the "clean OA" test worked correctly... hence you may continue on that direction...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 01:55:59 AM by Gig » Logged

*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2013, 02:08:27 PM »

I said, I am laging everywhere (All servers). I had my ISP Company come over today, and they changed my router. And Strengthened the signal once again. I have contacted them several times, they say nothing was changed with my package with them.

The feelings are still quite laggy, and I dont see much an improvement. I don't know what to do, OpenArena is by far one of my favorite games. And to quit over some lags wouldn't be right.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 03:32:27 PM »

What kind of lag do you experience? "Connection interrupted" message or what? Ping going to 500 or over?

*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2013, 10:28:09 AM »

With a ping of normal its 96-108 at max its 113. Now its 106-166. The kind of lag I have at servers are usually some what of a sluggish feel, and are weapons that fire late sometimes. Even on American servers.

Some people say it caused by the NSA.  Shocked Shocked

It's also not just me, I hear many people are having the same problems. Could it be a bigger problem larger than just mine? There are also some people who don't have any problems with lags. Even some people from Europe are experiencing issues at some servers in there continent.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: