Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenArena & Lags  (Read 53103 times)
*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2013, 07:41:30 PM »

Hello, guys I remember posting this topic awhile back. I never followed up on the status of my connection and such. It turns out I had a problem with my router. This was very very odd to me because it happened so sudden. Fortunately I had a router of the same brand, but different model in my box of technical things. So hopefully if someone is experiencing some uncommon laging issues, or some problems similar, you can try using another router. This fixed my problem as soon as I hooked it up.

Again, thanks for the help, I will surely use some of the help you guys gave me for the future!
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2013, 01:46:59 AM »

Nice to hear that.  Smiley

Happy fragging!  Grin

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2013, 06:33:24 PM »

Back again  Huh

I've gone in a absence from having lag problems, but now they are back, and are not leaving. I've called my isp multiple times, but they don't understand what I mean when I show them the lagometer for OpenArena/Quake 3. I explain to them that the meter should be flat and not spike or large bars. They check the internet and signal, they say it's fine. I'm using both Windows XP, and Windows 7. Even my computer with W7 is having the same lag as my WXP. I've changed my modem, my router, even checked lags at friends home, with the same exact isp. All the changes, and it's still the same lag. Although I check lag at my friends home, and it's as smooth as ever. We use the same OS, and both are fairly new computers, except for my Windows XP machine.

I need help, because I don't know what to ask my isp to check for, or how to ask them to fix it. I'm currently trying to find similar ways online from previous OA/Q3/QL problems at the moment.

If anyone knows something please can you help me? I also have screenshots.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2013, 02:03:40 AM »

Uhm.. could you please repeat the speedtest.net and pingtest.net tests, but this time from a browser with Java enabled (to be able to check packet loss)?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2013, 07:38:46 AM »

Ill do several speed tests from my phones and 2 computers.

first image is from my iphone on my network.

second image is from my windows xp computer on my network.

third image is from windows 7 computer on my network.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 08:04:33 AM by *Ruthless* » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2013, 07:52:30 AM »

Thank you if you can provide more. It seems your line is very fast, but I have the impression there is something strange in the upload graph.

*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2013, 08:05:49 AM »

Strange as in? I think thats what they say I should be getting. I can't read the graph as well as others may, but is there something obvious I should see?

After getting the results, from speedtest. I went to OA and checked to see how the meter was looking, and it looks the same, if not worse.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 08:18:16 AM by *Ruthless* » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2013, 08:17:38 AM »

In the upload graph here, it seems to me there are shorter lines (lower upload speed) at regular intervals... that sounds strange.

Please also do the "pingtest" from a java-enabled browser. Thank you.

PS: I don't remember, did you already try with a completely clean OA configuration file?

*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2013, 08:23:13 AM »

First image. Here is a test from my windows xp, using Opera internet browser, I dont know if it uses Java. I have tried using OA with the default config, and of course it will have higher lags, because theres no tweaking.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2013, 08:27:19 AM »

That "unable to test packet loss" means your browser cannot access Java, or that a firewall blocks its test: http://www.pingtest.net/help.php#q6

You may try from Internet Explorer, or to update your java version.
However, even I am not able to get that test working at the moment....
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 08:33:13 AM by Gig » Logged

*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2013, 08:57:17 AM »

Sorry Gig, I did not forget to follow up on doing the test. Holidays are here, and I'm just spending time home, and with family. I hope you all are too!

I'll try and get the screenshots, all over again, because I've experienced a bit of a change in my connection at some servers.

Happy Holidays!
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2013, 04:01:32 AM »

Don't worry, also I am almost completely offline these days.

Happy holidays to everyone!

*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2014, 03:11:28 PM »

Gig I can't do a ping test.. I have Java installed, and it's acting like I don't.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2014, 02:24:25 AM »

Uhm... things one may check are the Java control panel (under Windows Control Panel): there are a few options there (maybe under the "advanced" tab) to allow its browser plugin to be enabled, and in which browsers.
Then, also the plugins/extensions/addons management window of the browser itself should allow to enable or disable individual addons.

*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2014, 11:44:29 AM »

It says I have it enabled on the browser i've been trying to use. (IE, and Mozilla) But pingtest website says it's not enabled. And it says I don't have adobe up to date. I have adobe 11, and it says I should update to something over 9. I think I have Java enabled plugins in both browsers as well.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2014, 12:01:32 PM »

It says I have it enabled on the browser i've been trying to use. (IE, and Mozilla) But pingtest website says it's not enabled. And it says I don't have adobe up to date. I have adobe 11, and it says I should update to something over 9. I think I have Java enabled plugins in both browsers as well.
I can guess you are talking about Adobe Flash Player, right?
Howerver, I cannot think to other tests. Could you please post some other test results (of both speedtest and pingtest, from all of your devices)? To see if they are coherent with those you got days ago...

*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2014, 12:12:59 PM »

Yes im talking about flash player. I try pingtest.net on my devices.

These are the ones from my Windows 7 laptop on wifi.

Using Opera 12.16
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3203148865.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3203163147.png
http://www.pingtest.net/result/91254901.png
http://www.pingtest.net/result/91255307.png

Using Internet Explorer 11
http://www.pingtest.net/result/91255546.png
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3203186632

Using Mozilla Firefox 26.0
"Pingtest.net requires at least version 9 of Flash.
Please update your client."

"Pingtest.net uses Java for packet loss testing, and you might be prompted to approve our applet after starting a test."

131.155.141.68 (Netherlands) - [Z] Normal CTF server

http://i.imgur.com/UFHhfOP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/RwIShaM.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/lIDWwwZ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/oQzPmyu.jpg

Still editing
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 01:32:25 PM by *Ruthless* » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2014, 12:19:19 PM »

Uhm... that 42 ms jitter seeems a little too high for a such fast performing line, but... which kind of connection is yours?

Your OA screenshots do not seem to show many packet loss... uhm... Not sure about what to think.

PS: I just managed to perform the packet loss test by using Google Chrome. My jitter is about 15-25 (and ping is around 110), no packets lost. My connection type is ADSL.

*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2014, 02:36:50 PM »

Here are some more screenshots that I taken, before I went to updates on my laptop. These screenshots are from my wired computer, on Windows XP.

I have no idea how to handle something like this, it's kind of odd to not know whats going on, and to ask you guys (Gig) how to fix it. I have the slightest clue about anything network related. My internet is pretty fast, and I have no issues loading any web pages at all, or playing videos in high quality, with no buffering. My only problems are only gaming, and I don't think it's my config, because I've been using it the same for a long time, and never had any problems with connection.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 02:47:36 PM by *Ruthless* » Logged
*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2014, 02:40:22 PM »

in addition to my first post above ^^
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2014, 05:13:54 AM »

I don't remember.... did you do some try with a completely clean q3config.cfg?
Go to %appdata%\openarena\baseoa and rename q3.config.cdg to q3config.cfg.old, then start the game, and join some server which is using baseoa.

Note: this only clears baseoa configuration: any MOD you played before will continue with its old configuration. You may need to repeat the operation inside each mod's folder. Or you may just rename the whole "openarena" folder under %appdata%, to start again with a completely clean "homepath" folder.

And I don't remember, do you experience similar problems with other games?

*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2014, 08:03:44 PM »

I formatted my computer, so its a fresh everything a week ago. I've been trying to see weather it's more than just OpenArena. What I came to see is that its the same for my PS3 (sometimes), and like I said it's the same for Quake Live. Again there is no problems, with browsing the web, or playing videos, or downloading anything. Everything else is fine, except for my gaming. It's EXTREMELY difficult to play OpenArena, and Quake Live at a high level with lags, and dropped data. I didn't make any changes to any config, that I haven't had before I was laging. I simply connected to OpenArena one day and had deep problems, and it was very minor at the time, but I notice everything when it comes to my connection. It just got worse and was enough for me to get screenshots and post to you guys (Gig) on the forum.

I've put to much time into crafting my game, to quit OpenArena, over lags. And quite frankly this is one of the games I love to play, when I have the time.

Call of Duty just isn't FPS for me Smiley
*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2014, 11:55:21 AM »

If I were to call my ISP, what would I tell them? I don't really know what I should say to them. They need to know, so they can at least have a chance to fix the problem. Other people I know that have Optimum, don't have this problem playing any games.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2014, 01:50:04 AM »

Maybe your ping is not constant.

If you open a command prompt (cmd), and type "ping www.google.com -t" and keep it running for some time, is it always more or less the same ping, or do you notice sometimes is it considerably higer (e.g. usually 65-70, then one goes to 150)?
Note: "-t" option means to run it for infinite. You can then press CTRL+C to stop.
You can use an OA server address instead of google, if you wish.

After making this with no network load, then do some other try while having the network used: downloading files, playing OA or QL, etc.

*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2014, 08:51:47 PM »

Numbers say:

using www.google.com -t
19ms
20ms
19ms
33ms
65ms
70ms