Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  
Author Topic: [MAP] OA_Suicizer  (Read 144615 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #175 on: September 22, 2015, 03:51:47 AM »

It should still be totally fine when rendered to a raster TGA.  Font legalities are a weird subject.

FYI the current OA3 menu font is also the OFL-licensed News Cycle, so for consistency it's Orbitron for logos and headers and News Cycle for the usual text.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #176 on: October 01, 2015, 06:36:35 AM »

.....ehm, some news ?.....

@Suicizer: As i have understood, the only thing missed it's your screenshot to show me how you intend to put the billboard(s) an the wall.

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #177 on: October 12, 2015, 03:54:35 PM »

.....ehm, some news ?.....

@Suicizer: As i have understood, the only thing missed it's your screenshot to show me how you intend to put the billboard(s) an the wall.

Wink

There ya go! Included the position as attachment.
I'm meaning the place where I'm shooting; on that wall actually.

And for the design; I was thinking of something rather simple like in the following image;

« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 04:02:13 PM by Suicizer » Logged

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #178 on: October 14, 2015, 03:15:37 AM »

Hi everyone Smiley

I've modified the Map with a couple of billboards, i hope you enjoy the update Tongue

Here is the Download link:
Code:
https://app.box.com/s/cgopmfhlsh3tmphpciby

Updates:

1) Added a couple of Billboards
2) Fixed some textures misalignement (no one notice it)
3) Created a custom big texture (3rd screen) for some dirt on the floor

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #179 on: October 14, 2015, 05:49:34 AM »

Quickly tested... very nice! One would expect to smell the musk! Smiley

A few very small things, which probably aren't worth:
- First screenshot: the area around the plasma burn in the ground, you can notice it's a "square" a bit darker than the rest of the ground. I can guess it is due to the launchpad above which blocks some light from the sky, so that may be normal. But considering there is a lamp just above that area, seeing it darker than the rest of the floor may seem a bit strange. Probably not worth messing it up.
- Second screenshot: texture misaligment-like effect on archways. Maybe hard to fix due to limited texture control on curved patches? Maybe using a different texture (e.g. the darker trim texture you used around the map) on the patch may hide the problem?
- Third screenshot: where the darker trims connect (horizontal lines with vertical lines), some texture misalligment seem to occur. Various times around the map. Not a real problem.

The map already looks good. However, if you wish, you may create a custom version of the "OpenArena monitor" shader, to make OpenArena word fade in&out, instead of blinking suddently. And you may use a cooler jumppad shader.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 05:51:56 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #180 on: October 14, 2015, 12:49:38 PM »

The first screenshot is due to the sun actually being directly above everything. Shadow is normal.

(though, maybe that pile in the corner could use a little forcemeta to smoothen it up, but that's just a minor release-procrastinating nitpick which these maps get way too much of)

As for the banners you could cut the duplicated flipped textures and try a negative texture scale instead.  Save the VRAM!!!

The rust texture variants could also be reduced with a terrain-like shader to blend between the two shaders, using some brush to modulate the alpha of the rust onto the texture. Q3map2 has some ways to do that.  That could save a bunch of vram but would look wrong in vertexlighting since that cuts off stages.

Also your bigrust texture is an odd resolution (1536x1536) and that will be resampled to 1024x1024 or 2048x2048 on load. Also it's a bit inefficient for say, cards with low-res texture limits as seen here

EDIT: to explain that a bit more, here's an image showing the resampling behavior with that texture
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 02:50:40 PM by fromhell » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #181 on: October 16, 2015, 01:20:35 AM »

The rust texture variants could also be reduced with a terrain-like shader to blend between the two shaders, using some brush to modulate the alpha of the rust onto the texture. Q3map2 has some ways to do that.  That could save a bunch of vram but would look wrong in vertexlighting since that cuts off stages.
In a map which I have in WIP (oh, well, at the moment is Work-Paused, due to real life business), I used a terrain blending shader to do a thing. To make it appear in an acceptable way in vertex light mode (although not officially supported anymore since 0.8.5, IIRC), I had to add an extra stage with different parameters, which somehow fixes it in vertex mode, at the expense of computing that stage also in lightmap mode, where it is useless.

Also your bigrust texture is an odd resolution (1536x1536) and that will be resampled to 1024x1024 or 2048x2048 on load.
What's the definition we could write in mapping manual about texture sizes?
"Texture sizes (width and height) should be power of two, to avoid a resampling which will bring down rendering quality. Examples: 64x64, 128x128, 256x256, 512x512, 256x512, 256x1024 are okay, while 230x230, 250x1000 etc should be avoided." ? Would that be right?

PS: I don't get your first screenshot... it looks like from some other map, maybe?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 02:05:02 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #182 on: October 20, 2015, 11:35:49 AM »

@ALL: I'm working to another version and i hope to solve some issues you found Tongue

I'm still wait for Suicizer's response about the last version after releasing another.

Wink

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #183 on: October 20, 2015, 02:01:22 PM »

also let me quickly say don't forget the -flares switch. some of us (ME ME ME ME) play with that on, and the slowness issue has a workaround in the engine git

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #184 on: October 30, 2015, 03:16:35 PM »

also let me quickly say don't forget the -flares switch. some of us (ME ME ME ME) play with that on, and the slowness issue has a workaround in the engine git

I'm sorry, but in these days i'm quite busy with other stuff.....
.....by the way, don't you remember that i'm not using GTKradiant but Q3Radiant ?

In Q3Radiant there's not the -flares option, but it's no problem, the map can be reprocessed by anyone Smiley
I've inserted the original .map file.

Wink

P.S.: Suicizer, where are you ?? ....

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #185 on: October 30, 2015, 04:33:05 PM »

.....by the way, don't you remember that i'm not using GTKradiant but Q3Radiant ?

In Q3Radiant there's not the -flares option, but it's no problem, the map can be reprocessed by anyone Smiley

Wink

Right here!
I'm just always looking on the OA forum when I'm not near my pc (as I often have other things to do these days that have to be done), so that's quite inconvenient. Sorry for that!

I'll check out the result this weekend, else begin next week.

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #186 on: November 05, 2015, 04:28:22 PM »

Wink

Finally found some time to view the map once more!

The file-size has been increased incredible compared to it's last version. I wouldn't have a proper clue why actually (as I have no clue what takes the most file-size for a .pk3-file other than textures and sounds).
I wonder why the textures aren't blended through the use of a shader (or anything like that). Is this just not possible on the engine?

It is a great map so far and begs to be played against other players than just tested on your own. Although I do miss details which make it feel more abandoned/ruined. What about some plants falling over an edge, moss grown on the walls, etc?

As a reaction on FromHell's suggestion of the odd texture resolution; He's certainly right, but both of his example seems to have a significant quality loss. It would be great if the quality loss could be avoided (or minimised).

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #187 on: November 05, 2015, 04:37:23 PM »

Hi suicizer.

I've fixed some issues founded by Fromhell, than i've fixed some other minor things.

The PK3's file-size has been increased because of the custom big texture (12 Mb) i've inserted.
Maybe i've to convert it from TGA to JPG ?...

For the ruined version, i don't know.... maybe in a second time it can be done.

Soon a new fixed version will be released.

Wink

EDIT:
P.S.: The textures aren't blended through the use of a shader because i'm not able to do that, as i sayd time ago..... Sad

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #188 on: November 05, 2015, 04:41:54 PM »

As a reaction on FromHell's suggestion of the odd texture resolution; He's certainly right, but both of his example seems to have a significant quality loss. It would be great if the quality loss could be avoided (or minimised).

For some reason I believe Fromhell might be female. Maybe because of the profile picture?
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #189 on: November 05, 2015, 05:28:42 PM »

12MB for a texture? That's crazy!
I'll download it and take a look.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #190 on: November 06, 2015, 01:27:24 AM »

Here's an example I made on how to use q3map2's alphamod feature to achieve the texture blending by an alphamod brush. Example shader, textures and map included.b  Hopefully the map opens up in radiant.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 01:53:21 AM by fromhell » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #191 on: November 06, 2015, 03:57:55 AM »

The file-size has been increased incredible compared to it's last version. I wouldn't have a proper clue why actually (as I have no clue what takes the most file-size for a .pk3-file other than textures and sounds).
I wonder why the textures aren't blended through the use of a shader (or anything like that). Is this just not possible on the engine?

For pk3 content, you can open them with any zip file manager (winzip, winrar, 7-zip, etc) and take a look inside them.
Of course, Akom may convert his image tga to jpg: even high quality (low compression) jpgs should be much smaller than tgas. IiRC, unlike NetRadiant/q3map2, in Q3Radiant/Q3map maps did not compile when jpg were used IN SHADERS (that's the reason some of the custom textures used in my oacmpdm10 are tga)... but the current use of his large texture probably is not in a shader.

About "blending terrain", I think I linked a tutorial from Simonoc in some previous post. However, that requires Q3map2 and does not work very well in Vertex light mode.

Quality loss can be avoided by following the "good practice" of making textures which sizes are power of two. OA3 will include a way to avoid the automatic resize and its quality loss (will require hardware supporting non-power-of-two textures), but I don't know if that will be active by default.

Gig from cell phone.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #192 on: December 20, 2015, 03:18:50 PM »

Hi  Smiley

I'm here with the last version of OA_Suicizer.

Here's the Download Lin:
Code:
https://app.box.com/s/cgopmfhlsh3tmphpciby

Here a couple of screenshot:

- Fixed some bugs noticed by Gig.
- Deleted the second billboard.
- Fixed some textures misalignement noticed by Gig.
- Fixed some minor stuff.

After 2 years i think it's done, if anyone want to change something he/she can do it.
The map is released under GPLv2, so are the custom textures inside the PK3.

These textures are taken from OA original and modified as TGA or JPG.

I hope you enjoy the map Smiley

EDIT: I've missed the right levelshot and i've reupload the PK3.

Wink
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 04:07:23 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #193 on: December 20, 2015, 04:01:16 PM »

Not sure when I wil be able to test it...

Did you also fix the NPOT problem that Fromhell pointed out?

carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #194 on: December 20, 2015, 04:03:34 PM »

Hi Akom74

just downloaded and played,
nice one see my game play : https://app.box.com/s/ps0ksv0le8q9du9258pmoohfsdmelp8v  Cool

Good job I love it  Kiss

hope I can manage to bring my next map release soon too

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #195 on: December 20, 2015, 04:05:41 PM »

Not sure when I wil be able to test it...

Did you also fix the NPOT problem that Fromhell pointed out?

NPOT Huh

What do you mean ?

If you mean the big custom texture with strange size, i've fixed it Smiley

Wink

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #196 on: December 20, 2015, 04:13:33 PM »

Hi Akom74

just downloaded and played,
nice one see my game play : https://app.box.com/s/ps0ksv0le8q9du9258pmoohfsdmelp8v  Cool

Good job I love it  Kiss

hope I can manage to bring my next map release soon too

You're welcome Smiley Smiley

Wink

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #197 on: December 20, 2015, 04:34:51 PM »

I might try to 'optmiize' the map when i'm bored enough one day in between this xmas chaos.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #198 on: December 21, 2015, 02:10:06 AM »

NPOT Huh

What do you mean ?

If you mean the big custom texture with strange size, i've fixed it Smiley
Yes, I meant that (see fourth screenshot here). NPOT stands for "non-power-of-two" (texture): https://www.opengl.org/wiki/NPOT_Texture

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #199 on: December 22, 2015, 12:01:12 PM »

Quickly tried.
It's still a great small map!  Smiley

(Maybe) just a few textures on the "outer rocky/grass area" may seem misaligned (an example in the screenshot) and the jummpads aren't as cool as the accelerator pad...
Aside from that, it looks like a "perfect" map...  Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  

Jump to: