Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: [MAP] OA_Akomctf2  (Read 36441 times)
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2013, 12:10:12 PM »

You might want to take a look at this in order to understand what Suicizer pointed out: http://www.moddb.com/tutorials/lighting-in-game-environments-the-hows-and-whys

Wouldn't suggest that tutorial. Those provided screenshots look like a disco sometimes.

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2013, 12:16:59 PM »

If you have carefully read the tutorial itself, those "disco" examples are catalogued as bad examples. Only looking at the pictures doesn't count. =)

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2013, 12:25:53 PM »

Shares the same faith of lighting as one of your DM maps; where is the light-source which emits lights on the outer floors?
The textures of the teleports seems to be missing.
Too bad it's symmetrical, again =\.
It doesn't feel like the supports carry the buildings if you fall down the map. Perhaps they could use some more details as well.

The main light it's gived from the skybox, the other lights are emitted from the "lamps" in the map.
The texture of the teleport is an OA original, don't know....

I'll insert more pillar-details in the final release Tongue

Wink

It has a pitchblack skybox...

Ehm, no it hasn't a pitchblack skybox, it has a Nebulae skybox.
Are you using this map in a clear installation of OA ?

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2013, 12:37:04 PM »

Shares the same faith of lighting as one of your DM maps; where is the light-source which emits lights on the outer floors?
The textures of the teleports seems to be missing.
Too bad it's symmetrical, again =\.
It doesn't feel like the supports carry the buildings if you fall down the map. Perhaps they could use some more details as well.

The main light it's gived from the skybox, the other lights are emitted from the "lamps" in the map.
The texture of the teleport is an OA original, don't know....

I'll insert more pillar-details in the final release Tongue

Wink

It has a pitchblack skybox...

Ehm, no it hasn't a pitchblack skybox, it has a Nebulae skybox.
Are you using this map in a clear installation of OA ?

Wink

I guess not, but after downloading the map again, the skybox is still pitch black so I'll judge as it is pitch black.
Once again, a map shouldn't rely on files from other .pk3 (actually nothing should). It creates clutter and chaos for no actual reason.

How can maps conflict each other that much? Isn't there any proper packaging?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 12:42:51 PM by Suicizer » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2013, 12:43:50 PM »

I guess not, but after downloading the map again, the skybox is still pitch black.
Once again, a map shouldn't rely on files from other .pk3 (actually nothing should). It creates clutter and chaos for no actual reason.

How can maps conflict each other that much? Isn't there any proper packaging in here?

Well, this is an alpha version, just to test the map itself, in a final release that kind of error never be again (i hope  Roll Eyes )

Try it in a blank istallation of OA and tell me if you have the same error.

Wink

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2013, 12:45:48 PM »

I guess not, but after downloading the map again, the skybox is still pitch black.

How can maps conflict each other that much? Isn't there any proper packaging in here?

Well, this is an alpha version, just to test the map itself, in a final release that kind of error never be again (i hope  Roll Eyes )

Try it in a blank istallation of OA and tell me if you have the same error.

Wink

I'm not font of reinstalling Open Arena over and over again (except for updates like OA 0.9).
You should be able to do that yourself, it's a blank installation after all =P.

Edit:
Even after a clean installation, still a pitch black skybox.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 12:51:41 PM by Suicizer » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2013, 12:54:54 PM »

You may try with a clean homepath folder by temporarily renaming %appdata%/openarena to openarena.old or something similar.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2013, 12:59:26 PM »

Now that I think of it, are you using r_fastsky 1? Because that, in that specific skybox, displays a pitch black sky. With r_fastsky 0 it doesn't.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2013, 01:05:25 PM »

Now that I think of it, are you using r_fastsky 1? Because that, in that specific skybox, displays a pitch black sky. With r_fastsky 0 it doesn't.

You're right, maybe it is this the cause.

Wink

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2013, 01:41:24 PM »

You're right, maybe it is this the cause.

Wink

Nope, not using r_fastsky 1 (it states 0, the default)...

I had nothing in the Appdata directory of OA. Then again, even if I would have stuff inside of it, that shouldn't affect the map. Else it would be just 1 big gamble if it displays correctly.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2013, 02:02:36 PM »

Here's with r_fastsky 0

And r_fastsky 1

I can't think of anything else. Have you checked your values for "videoflags" (0 has no lock for anything), "cg_autovertex", "r_detailtextures"?

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2013, 02:15:17 PM »

Ehm, why you see dark like this ?  Huh Huh

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2014, 05:58:47 PM »

May had something to do with the PC I was using while taking those SShots. Initially, everything looked brighter, but in Windows, after switching off and back, everything looked darker.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2014, 11:40:41 AM »

I play r_gamma 1 and I see the map like Neon_Knight's screenshot.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: