Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: [MAP] oasw + JOIN #oamapping  (Read 28278 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2014, 02:01:55 AM »

Given a quick look.

- Theme isn't bad, although it's not a "castle" anymore... Map would require a new long name, then...
- Various missing textures... are you mapping with Q3A, maybe? Or did you forgot to include your own custom textures in the pk3?
- Look at the first screenshot... those remind me about some lights from Q3A. In case you included models from Q3A in the map, you have to know they are not GPL'd (Q3 textures aren't either), so the map would not comply with GPL rules.
- Look at the second screenshot... in a modern themed map, that "magic" symbol looks a bit out of place...
- What about some easy way to reach the lateral railgun platforms? Just an idea...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
wing0
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 02:33:03 AM »

As I said, it's all about gameplay at the moment.
I only received (rather) positive critique about the look of the map so far,
but mixed critique about gameplay.
Most of the critique is about 'noobizing' the map too much.

--Mapname will be wing-sago as I use the quasi standard 'defrag nomenclatura' (Mapper-Credit / Mapper-Mapname).
   Other of my maps are (clickable):
      -wing-live
      -wing-hk
      -wing-marco
--I am having my troubles with setting the textures up properly, yes.
   I already fixed some stuff in wing-sago49 and more fixes will follow. That model will be taken out, thanks!
--That texture and the lighting (which I can not see on your screenshot) are fkn rad!
   However it is not the first time I thought about changing that texture.
   I wonder why no one else mentioned that :o
   Do you have an idea for a better replacement?
--The better player I asked so far did not like me making things easier for 'the average' players and
   the average players did not seem to appreciate the changes.
   Thus the legend jump will probaböy remain the only way to access the platform from below.

L!ve* is life - na na nana na
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2014, 03:59:33 AM »

Do you use mapmedia.pk3?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
wing0
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2014, 04:37:11 AM »

Didnt use it yet,
I will google and check.

@Gig:
About the missing texture in the second screenshot:
You were looking probably looking on the red side, because I think I already fixed that 'bug' on the blue side (newer side).

EDIT:
omgZ!
Tell me you have 125FPS in that map if you want :o
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 04:43:21 AM by wing0 » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2014, 10:03:48 AM »

Which tools are you using to Map?
I would suggest you to use NetRadiant with current OpenArena pack installed. That way, you will not have Q3 textures without replacements in OA to give you troubles (side note: you cannot customize Q3 textures due to licensing, but you can create custom versions of OA textures).

About the missing texture in the second screenshot of my previous post... yes that one is from red side, but that was not the aim of that screenshot (it was the jumppad texture)...
However, there are various missing textures in the map, as you can see from the screenshot attached here.

PS:
Do you use mapmedia.pk3?
What's that?

PPS: about the name, I meant that's not "Sago's outer CASTLE" anymore...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 11:59:23 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
wing0
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2014, 12:45:41 PM »

GtkRadiant + Custom written progs and scripts.

wing0
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2014, 01:46:43 PM »

What I do not understand about the 'spotlamp.md3'.
How can it be shiped with GtkRadiant that is GPLicensed too?

When it is a Q3 model, why is it listed here:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Pak0.pk3/Models
I checked my pak0 however and it seems not to be in there at all Shocked

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2014, 12:53:21 AM »

One of the goals of OA is compatibilty with third-party stuff designed for Q3 (as possible).
Hence, many OA textures and sounds do have the same filename they had in Q3A.... our files cannot be just copies or edited versions of Q3 assets, but they can be -more or less accurately- inspired by them: they are redone from scratch (or starting from existing GPLv2 or PD files). Q3 texture replacement isn't completed yet, however you can take a look to DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Map_compatibility]Map compatibility wiki page to find out Q3 maps which do not show missing textures in OA.
Of course, OA also contains many assets which did not exist in baseq3.
In short, same filename does not imply it's the same exact file.... it may be its free replacement (or sometimes, just a coincidence).

About the Pak0 wiki page you linked, it looks like that's a list of Q3A assets... just to have a list of all assets which would require to be replaced. "You checked for it in your pak0"... but you meant in baseoa or in baseq3? That page is not the list of OA's pak0, but Q3A's pak0. Not all entries of that list have got their replacement in OA yet.[1]

Another thing to consider: while shaders[2], textures and sounds are just "invoked" (linked, referenced) by the .map/.bsp (so you can replace them just by placing new files in the .pk3, similar enough to the original)... for md3 models (mapobjects) it's a different thing. IIRC, MD3 models are incorporated into the .bsp (not sure if also in the .map, or just in the .bsp at compile time... probably the second one): hence, OA "replacements" of md3 objects may be used for new maps.... but maps compiled for Q3 will show the original model forever (texturized or not depending if OA has got replacements for the textures invoked by those models). Unless those models are removed from the .map (optionally placing GPL models in their place) and the map is re-complied, I fear it cannot comply with GPL. Note: I'm talking about "mapobjects", not entities like CTF flags.

About md3 files included with GtkRadiant, are you talking about it configured for OA, or configured for Q3A? I remember when installing the old Q3Radiant, it did place many files into your Q3 installation, including shader files and .md3. (Note: Q3Radiant source code has later been released as GPL, but initially it was released with the license of the Q3 SDK developer tools, with limitations. I don't even know if Q3Radiant binaries based upon its GPL release do exist.) I don't know if those .md3 have been gpl'd too, but I can fear not. I can guess GTK Radiant Q3 game folder may just include those md3 which were initially included with Q3Radiant, although they may be not really GPL'd. I can guess the fact GTKRadiant itself is GPL does not necessarily mean that also all its extra stuff it installs is GPL, too: there are various programs around which do have free source code, but propietary (or however differently licensed) assets (images, sounds, etc). (NOTE: GUESSING)

In the first map I did for OA (oacmpdm10), I did use Q3Radiant for Q3: I used only Q3 textures which already had their replacements in OA, or textures from my own (made from scratch or derived from existing OA textures), and I did not include any md3 mapobject. Also shader-powered textures (e.g. jumppads) did use shaders from my own instead of Q3 shaders. I planned to later switch to NetRadiant (and then compile with q3map2 instead of q3map), configured for OA, but that gave somewhat different results (e.g. sky shaders markup is different), so I gave up and kept it old-style. For the map I'm currently working on, I'm doing everything with GTK/NetRadiant configured for OA, do to not have conversion problems later, and to be even more sure about GPL compliance.

[1] I haven't checked... if that's not even in quake'3 pak0, maybe this may mean that the .md3 isn't actually necessary for the game itself (being incorporated into the .bsp at compile time, so the pk3 only cointains its textures), but may be provided with the Q3A SDK instead. Just guessing. That wiki page does not mention "spotlamp.md3" file, but has got a section called "\Pak0\models\mapobjects\spotlamp", which lists some textures... this may be a clue it's like I was guessing.

[2] However, some shader parameters (e.g. light emitted) are considered only during compiling time instead of during play time... So a map may have differences if it's compiled from an editor configured for Q3 or from the same editor configured for OA.

@Everyone: please correct me if I said something wrong. Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 01:21:31 AM by Gig » Logged

wing0
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2014, 03:19:54 AM »

Thanks for the long post.

My short answer is:
I will remove the spotlights.

wing0
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2014, 03:25:13 AM »