Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Speed and Forbidden Weapons  (Read 15367 times)
Dr. Schnellinger
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: November 23, 2013, 08:32:41 PM »

Hi all, hi mom!

As the title says, it might be cool if you add a "Game Speed" modificator, I mean, there's some people who don't  like fast FPS, but still like FPS.

And also some menu to forbid weapons or avoiding them from spawning, sometimes is pretty annoying when some bot/human always kills you with the same weapon.

That's all for now
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 06:25:54 AM »

I don't know the command for speed. But for items is already in the console: "disable_<weapon>". In the wiki there's more info.

About weapons and maps, it's the mapper's fault if there are overpowered weapons in the game which disturb the gameplay. Which map and which weapon are we talking about?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 08:18:14 AM »

I don't know the command for speed.
Code:
set g_speed <value>
where <value> defaults to 320. There's no menu option for it afaik.

Note that this only changes player moving speed, not gravity, knockback, time to switch weapons, powerup durations, jump height or anything else which contributes to the overall feel of speed.

This space is for rent.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 01:34:03 PM »

It's timescale, which is a protected cvar, and i'm not even sure how stable that is to use over network...

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 02:05:37 AM »

For details about preventing items from spawning, see (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Disabling_and_replacing_items.

For general game speed, it's timescale (default 1 = normal speed, 0.5 would mean half speed), but as Fromhell said, it's cheat-proteced: you would need to start a map with "devmap <mapname>" to be able to change it, but that would mean allowing players to use commands such as "god" and "noclip", making a real match impossible. Time ago I noticed that it's possible to change it while watching a DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Demos]demo (maybe, but I'm not sure, if you change it during a demo playback and then load a map to play, it is not automatically reverted to 1). Not sure, probably it's cheat-protected since Q3A.

DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Ports_and_markets#Android_-_OpenArena]Pelya's OA Android Port has made it not cheat-protected, placed a slider in the GUI to change game speed and, IIRC, its default value is smaller than 1 there.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 12:21:58 PM »

I should mention the speed changing is a standard feature in some other arena games (most notably UnrealEngine's equivalent command of "slomo") so it could have potential notcheatprotected use if kept serverside... but the thing is I don't know how stable it is for prediction and stuff like that.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 04:03:19 PM »

I should mention the speed changing is a standard feature in some other arena games (most notably UnrealEngine's equivalent command of "slomo") so it could have potential notcheatprotected use if kept serverside... but the thing is I don't know how stable it is for prediction and stuff like that.

Even Cube Engine 2: Sauerbraten has it (as serverside command controlled by any admin for the next match using /gamespeed in the console line).
I must warn, changing gamespeed seriously ruins the original gameplay of games, especially when the development community has only a little to no control on public servers. A good example of that is Cube Engine 2: Red Eclipse which had (back in the time I checked out) way faster movement but very restricted weaponry on a lot of servers which were being most visited.

The same situation should be avoided for maprotation or even weapon restrictions; they can choke the original gameplay to death as new people learn to play the game by those restrictions (so every 'new' gameplay aspects like other weapons are bad as they often can't handle them and rather stick to the modified gameplay for years).

So to any developer, do yourself a favour and don't include it. OA has mods for that.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 04:16:01 PM by Suicizer » Logged

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 03:04:26 AM »

The same situation should be avoided for maprotation
I have not understood.. what should be avoided for maprotation? Are you saying that we should prevent server admins from creating their own map rotation scripts? Maybe I misunderstood, because that seems an excessive limitation.
I know this topic is not about maprotation, but I'm curious to understand correctly...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 04:52:33 AM »

The same situation should be avoided for maprotation
I have not understood.. what should be avoided for maprotation? Are you saying that we should prevent server admins from creating their own map rotation scripts? Maybe I misunderstood, because that seems an excessive limitation.
I know this topic is not about maprotation, but I'm curious to understand correctly...

When server admins restrict their servers to just a few or only 1 map, new maps have no chance to be actually played. Due this restriction (and often ignorant server owners) the motivation for mappers to create a map is being killed as eventually, a mapper makes the map so it will be played (else he wouldn't share it in the first place).
This isn't just a paranoid theory, a lot of people actually noticed so on Sauerbraten (as there is 1 server running team-instagib on a pro-unfriendly map for 24/7, while other servers have restricted game modes like instactf and sometimes even have excluded maps of a new release).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 05:12:56 AM by Suicizer » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 05:17:25 AM »

You're right saying that map rotation scripts should not be limited to a too small number of maps. However, I can guess that developers cannot do anything about that.

Of couse, when someone will create the "map rotation scripts" page in the wiki (we don't have it yet... if you want to write it, you're welcome), we may suggest to place enough maps in the rotation. Apart from that, I suppose there is no much that we can do about this issue... a server admin is free to do what he wants with his own server...
Placing some mechanism in the engine or gamecode that would make it impossible to create a rotation script with less than "x" maps would not sound very polite...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 05:20:34 AM by Gig » Logged

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 08:13:43 AM »

You're right saying that map rotation scripts should not be limited to a too small number of maps. However, I can guess that developers cannot do anything about that.

Of couse, when someone will create the "map rotation scripts" page in the wiki (we don't have it yet... if you want to write it, you're welcome), we may suggest to place enough maps in the rotation. Apart from that, I suppose there is no much that we can do about this issue... a server admin is free to do what he wants with his own server...
Placing some mechanism in the engine or gamecode that would make it impossible to create a rotation script with less than "x" maps would not sound very polite...

As long as you aren't giving such options to server admins, they can't use them. It's nice to see a lot of server features, but in reality they are eventually being abused big time and with no mercy at all.

So in my opinion; the less server features, the best servers.

/end of rant I guess...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 08:23:32 AM by Suicizer » Logged

*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 08:08:17 AM »

// Base weapons and ammo (see below for Missionpack weapons and ammo)
set disable_weapon_gauntlet "0" // Usually you don't find this around the map, hence disabling it is usually pointless
set disable_weapon_shotgun "0"
set disable_weapon_machinegun "0" // Usually you don't find this around the map, hence disabling it is usually pointless
set disable_weapon_grenadelauncher "0"
set disable_weapon_rocketlauncher "0"
set disable_weapon_lightning "0"
set disable_weapon_railgun "0"
set disable_weapon_plasmagun "0"
set disable_weapon_bfg "0"
set disable_weapon_grapplinghook "0" // Offhand grapple
set disable_ammo_shells "0" // Ammo for shotgun
set disable_ammo_bullets "0" // Ammo for machinegun
set disable_ammo_grenades "0" // Ammo for grenade auncher
set disable_ammo_cells "0" // Ammo for plasma gun
set disable_ammo_lightning "0" // Ammo for lightning gun
set disable_ammo_rockets "0" // Ammo for rocket launcher
set disable_ammo_slugs "0" // Ammo for railgun
set disable_ammo_bfg "0" // Ammo for BFG

// Armor and health
set disable_item_armor_shard "0" // +5 armor
set disable_item_armor_combat "0" // +50 armor
set disable_item_armor_body "0" // +100 armor
set disable_item_health_small "0" // +5 health
set disable_item_health "0" // +25 health
set disable_item_health_large "0" // +50 health
set disable_item_health_mega "0" // +100 health

// Base holdables, powerups, etc.
set disable_holdable_teleporter "0" // Personal teleporter
set disable_holdable_medkit "0" // Portable medkit
set disable_item_quad "0" // Quad damage powerup
set disable_item_enviro "0" // Battle suit powerup
set disable_item_haste "0" // Speed powerup
set disable_item_invis "0" // Invisibility powerup
set disable_item_regen "0" // Regeneration powerup
set disable_item_flight "0" // Flight powerup
set disable_team_CTF_redflag "0" // Red flag (disable with care!)
set disable_team_CTF_blueflag "0" // Blue flag (disable with care!)

// Missionpack weapons and ammo
set disable_weapon_nailgun "0"
set disable_weapon_prox_launcher "0"
set disable_weapon_chaingun "0"
set disable_ammo_nails "0" // Ammo for nailgun
set disable_ammo_mines "0" // Ammo from proximity mines launcher
set disable_ammo_belt "0" // Ammo for chaingun

// Missionpack runes (Since OA 0.8.5, G_RUNES <0 or 1> variable allows to enable or disable all of them at once)
set disable_item_scout "0"
set disable_item_guard "0"
set disable_item_doubler "0"
set disable_item_ammoregen "0"

// Missionpack other stuff
set disable_holdable_kamikaze "0"
set disable_holdable_portal "0" // Unfinished Team Arena "portal" device (not officially supported item)
set disable_holdable_invulnerability "0"
set disable_team_CTF_neutralflag "0" // White flag (disable with care!)
set disable_item_redcube "0" // Harvester mode red skull (you should not need to disable this!)
set disable_item_bluecube "0" // Harvester mode blue skull (you should not need to disable this!)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: