Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideas for 0.9.0  (Read 22322 times)
[ERROR_42]
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

If you can read this, then you don't need glasses

« on: December 08, 2013, 03:56:03 PM »

-Finishing Missionpack

-More weapons

-In - game tutorials

-More characters (Doomguy!)

-Option for Ironsights, rather than the current zoom

-"Help" console command

-X.P. system (Unlocking more weapons, etc.)

-Big F***ing gun 9000!

-Texture pack loading, sort of like the "mods" menu
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 05:17:39 PM by [ERROR_42] » Logged

Whenever someone says "Use a mod" I cut myself. I've almost bled to death a couple of times (No, not really.)
[ERROR_42]
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 04:06:47 PM »

Also, a GUI option for all those things that you need the console to do (IE, third person mode, blood on/off) Would be really nice.

Whenever someone says "Use a mod" I cut myself. I've almost bled to death a couple of times (No, not really.)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 04:17:54 PM »

-Finishing Missionpack
Missionpack features are all integrated into main OA. At this point is kind of redundant to have that folder.

-More weapons
-Big F***ing gun 9000!
Use a mod. OA is about preserving vanilla Q3 gameplay. Besides, OA isn't a realism-oriented game. And it will never be.

-In - game tutorials
In progress.

More characters? I agree. Clonic/copycat characters? NOT. OA is NOT about replicating Q3's assets, at least not anymore. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand seriousness is extremely overrated.

-"Help" console command
Care to explain this?

Also, a GUI option for all those things that you need the console to do (IE, third person mode, blood on/off) Would be really nice.
I agree. With the next OA versions, it should be possible.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 05:36:53 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
[ERROR_42]
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 04:37:39 PM »

A "Help" command... Like in Minecraft Single player commands, it would be a list of commands.

Also, if all the features of the Missionpack are in OA, then why even have it? Just takin' up space.

[ERROR_42]
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 05:08:21 PM »

Also, please... CHANGE THE MAP NAMES! It would be nice to give maps regular names, for example, rename "q3tourney6" to something memorable, like the maps actual name (In this case, "The end of you")

They did it in Missionpack, so why not in the actual game? everything else from Missionpack has been incorporated into the vanilla game.

Also, an option to auto - load mods would be awesome.

grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 05:35:29 PM »

Also, an option to auto - load mods would be awesome.
You can already auto-download mods, maps, playermodels and so on.

This space is for rent.
[ERROR_42]
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 09:38:36 PM »

I meant make it load the mod on startup.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 02:19:50 AM »

You can launch a mod at startup by using "openarena +set fs_game <mod's subfolder name>" at your OS command prompt (e.g. openarena +set fs_game missionpack):
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Using_Mods

This means you can incorporate the command into a "shortcut" (e.g. on your desktop) and/or in batch files (Windows) or in shell scripts (Linux).

About map names, each map has got a short name (.bsp filename, shown for example in Skirmish menu), a long name specified in the map itself (optional; it's shown during map loading screen), and a long name specified in the .arena file (shown in menu of Single Player Deathmatch mode).
OA3 will have a completely redone user interface, based upon Team Arena menu system, which will probably show "long names" as Missionpack does. However, I suggested to also show short names...

About in-game help, for the moment you can refer to this: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual#In-game_help
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 05:14:01 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
[ERROR_42]
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 05:47:40 PM »

You can launch a mod at startup by using "openarena +set fs_game <mod's subfolder name>" at your OS command prompt (e.g. openarena +set fs_game missionpack):
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Using_Mods

This means you can incorporate the command into a "shortcut" (e.g. on your desktop) and/or in batch files (Windows) or in shell scripts (Linux).

About map names, each map has got a short name (.bsp filename, shown for example in Skirmish menu), a long name specified in the map itself (optional; it's shown during map loading screen), and a long name specified in the .arena file (shown in menu of Single Player Deathmatch mode).
OA3 will have a completely redone user interface, based upon Team Arena menu system, which will probably show "long names" as Missionpack does. However, I suggested to also show short names...

About in-game help, for the moment you can refer to this: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual#In-game_help

That seems like a lot of freakin' work.
There really needs to be a GUI for that.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 01:09:22 AM »

Excuse me, about what are you referring to, exactly?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
[ERROR_42]
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 04:19:49 PM »

Excuse me, about what are you referring to, exactly?
Example: Let's say I use BFG10K arena every time I play OA. I could just use a setting, and voila! It automatically loads into BFG10K arena!

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 04:39:35 PM »

Uh....... if that were a SETTING, then you wouldn't be able to get back to the base game in most cases.

Either use "+set fs_game moddir" in the shortcut,  or use the mods menu.

by the way I am not doing 0.9.0.   The roadmap for 0.9.0 was for more replacement textures, and there hasn't been any more of that for 3 years now...

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 01:56:25 AM »

Example: Let's say I use BFG10K arena every time I play OA. I could just use a setting, and voila! It automatically loads into BFG10K arena!

As told, you can create an apposite shortcut (or batch file or shell script) to launch a specific mod when launching OA.

Mods are extremely useful addons, but I see no reason for a setting that would switch to a mod on every game launch (there are already DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Using_Mods#How_to_launch_a_mod]three different ways to load a mod -there is even a console command to switch to a mod at any time: "/game_restart <mod's subfolder name>"-). The whole new setting you propose may be "dangerous": considering some mods do not have clear GUI changes, one may risk to be in a mod while thinking to be in baseoa. And as Fromhell said, it may become hard to switch back to the main game.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 01:59:31 AM by Gig » Logged

andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 06:04:40 AM »

I think the idea of the last chosen mod persisting is a decent idea.

But the fact that a mod can provide a different user interface, one which may lack a way for a user to select another mod (or no mod at all) -- that could be a big problem.  A solution could be that the engine shows the name of a mod and a 'X' kill-mod button in a user-draggable place during non-gameplay screens (menus etc).
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 10:32:04 AM »

I think the idea of the last chosen mod persisting is a decent idea.

But the fact that a mod can provide a different user interface, one which may lack a way for a user to select another mod (or no mod at all) -- that could be a big problem.  A solution could be that the engine shows the name of a mod and a 'X' kill-mod button in a user-draggable place during non-gameplay screens (menus etc).

Or people just click 2 more times to start up the mod, like it currently is.
Shouldn't be such a big deal right?

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 11:21:05 AM »

-Finishing Missionpack

-More weapons

-In - game tutorials

-"Help" console command

-Big F***ing gun 9000!

-Texture pack loading, sort of like the "mods" menu

If you want more maps too, here we are working to an official mappack  Grin
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4679.0

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

[ERROR_42]
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 02:30:04 PM »

If you want more maps too, here we are working to an official mappack  Grin
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4679.0

Wink
[/quote]

F*CK YEAH.

[ERROR_42]
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 09:10:42 PM »

Question: why no ragdoll physics?

Ragdolls can be really cool,an sometimes, I get a kick out of them. at least add an option for that.

Come to think of it, does ioQuake3 even support that kind of thing? If not, the engine could be altered, it' open source, right?

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 10:38:08 PM »

Simple. Ragdoll = skeletons. Skeletons != compatibility.

[ERROR_42]
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 05:14:54 PM »

So... No?

Also, I recently had an idea for a new game mode: Team swap.
It would be TDM, except for if you kill someone, they switch to your team. The same could probably be done with CTF, Team elimination, and so on...

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 05:24:54 PM »

Simple. Ragdoll = skeletons. Skeletons != compatibility.

Wasn't this already implemented in the NotToDo-list?

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 05:33:16 PM »

DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/NOTTODO]Yes, it is. In the list of "Stuff we possibly can not do, due to limitations of the engine". I suppose if there's a way to implement such a thing from that section of the list without breaking compatibility, then that might be striked from the list.

Things from the "Stuff we won't do and never will", on the other hand, even if they're doable, won't be done, precisely because they fall outside of the project's scope.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 05:42:04 PM »

It would be TDM, except for if you kill someone, they switch to your team. The same could probably be done with CTF, Team elimination, and so on...

I considered assimilation at one point.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 10:52:02 AM »

Also regarding point 4, this link is relevant:
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3512.0

[ERROR_42]
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2014, 09:01:09 AM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Who the hell was i kidding? That's easy!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: