Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mod Brainstorming: OA JailBreak  (Read 8679 times)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« on: March 05, 2014, 10:43:17 AM »

This is one of my favourite MP mods EVER. And before starting, I'm aware of Q3 Jailbreak, but after playing the UT versions, it feels... empty. Moreover, the UT versions have more "personallity".

It's a team-based, round-based gametype. Each team has an own base, with a release switch inside of it, and a jail, located either inside of the own base, on the enemy base, or in the middle area.
The players must frag their enemies in order to send them to the jail. Players can escape the jail by way of a teammate using the release switch in order to open the doors/bar/whatever.
Once all the players of a team are jailed, the opposing team scores a point, the jailed team members are executed (there are plenty of ways such as fire, poison, throwing them into void/lava or slime pits, crushing them with walls or spikes, etc), and a new round starts. The game ends either by reaching the capturelimit or having the highest amount of points after reaching the timelimit.

The UT/UT200X/UT3 versions of the mod added more features such as jail cameras (for jailed players to watch selected areas) llama hunt (for players who try to cheat by disconnecting themselves or those who shot just released enemy players) and the radar.

Needed entities... obviously trigger_release, func_button_release, trigger_execute, func_door_execute.

Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUAbTSKtuAk

So, what do you think? And what more would you add to it?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 10:55:24 AM »

Jail cameras should be possible but it shouldn't be done in the lazy portal camera way Reaction quake3 did in the subway level, due to perspective issues.   The engine would need some form of rendertotexture for it though, and it's already doing that for bloom.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 11:33:20 AM »

Are you sure you wish to start yet another project? IIRC, you already scheduled:
- oacmp volume 1 fixed package (v4)
- oacmp volume 2
- oa wiki mapping manual
- work for oa3 (maps, q3 textures/sounds replacements...)

Although OA JB mod may be interesting, a question: do you also have time to create a mod? Who would code it?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 11:35:56 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 11:44:09 AM »

This is just brainstorming, like the Assault topic. I don't have coding or modelling skills yet.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 02:58:54 PM »

I don't even have gametype coding skills yet either, though my hacking up of cgame has been an okay start for learning so far.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 04:15:59 PM »

This is just brainstorming, like the Assault topic. I don't have coding or modelling skills yet.

I think Assault was a better idea, i mean: Goals, objectives, team work and maps more elaborated than normal dm or ctf.

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 02:51:55 AM »

I think Assault was a better idea, i mean: Goals, objectives, team work and maps more elaborated than normal dm or ctf.

Wink

I think you shouldn't rely a lot on base objective modes. Keep things simple.

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 11:40:43 AM »

Wink

I think you shouldn't rely a lot on base objective modes. Keep things simple.

Of course 3 or 4 objects may be good for each map.

Wink

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 04:14:16 PM »

In Jailbreak we need "only" the red and blue switch for mapping.
We need also the player_dead_respawn for red and blue.
The code will do the rest.
If Fromhell gives me an alpha version, i can make a map to try if all work good.
Just tell me.

(i know it's only brainstorming, but i think it will be awesome to give to the community a "new" gametype for OA)

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 06:31:26 PM »

I guess a simpler gametype such as Possession/Catch the Chicken or Freezetag would be easier to implement and be appreciated than this or Assault. That's why it's called "Mod Brainstorming".

Taking one of the current maps, adding the switch instead of the flags and OFC adding the jail itself with an execution scene might do the trick.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 10:22:43 AM by Neon_Knight » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: