Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Modern third-person  (Read 5619 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« on: April 04, 2014, 08:36:06 PM »

Yeah, cvar'd, but an improved way to play in third person mode similar to all of those current gen console games, because stock third person seems unplayable.  Changes would be done in Cgame.

- Lower its height, get it closer and put it toward the right (or left?) side of the player model.
- FOV shifting for player velocity.  The faster the higher. May need some low pass tweening

- When the player's not shooting, get the whole model to point in the direction for the movement, even overriding the backpedaling run animation, and the angle the view is facing. Only swing to the viewangle when you're firing
- A 3d crosshair. Getting the camera to align toward it could be the hard part.
- Slowly zoom in while firing a weapon.
- Allow the old zoom view command to also place in a red laser from the gun to the virtual crosshair.

Stuff in green i've actually done so far.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 09:21:54 PM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 02:08:47 AM »

Maybe it will be a good idea, but i don't know if community will accept this stuff.
If will be a "first-look" version to try, we can see how it work.

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 04:02:03 AM »

Pelya's Android port already applied various tweaks to thirdperson view. Maybe digging into it/asking to him may help?

However, I'm doubtful about improving thirdperson mode in baseoa for PC. I guessed the lack of crosshair in thirperson mode was purposely done by id software di discourage third-person usage. Q3A is a first-person-shooter (back to its golden days, it was THE fist person shooter -okay, also Unreal Tournament was a cool game, true-), and also most of its mod (with a few excecptions like Bid for Power, BombQ3, Q3 Plaftorm, Target Quake 3) primarily focused on firstperson.

Thirperson allows to see more what's happening around you, hence thirdperson gives an advantage over firstperson.
What Pelya tells us with his thirdperson mode is that he frags more with it than with firstperson mode. While this is acceptable between Android users (which play with touchscreen, which is less comfortable), and even if these Android users do fight against PC users, I can guess Android users are still disadvantaged due to their input method (PC users use firstperson, but play with accurate keyboard and mouse controls). Note: I haven't tried yet to connect to PC servers from my Android phone.

I fear I did not write a straight sentence, however to sum up: I fear that making a better thirperson mode for PC may give thirperson users an advantage over firstperson users. And considering this game was born as a firstperson game, this may be a problem.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 04:36:23 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 04:56:20 PM »

Fuck.

I knew I would cross some line of community uproar.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: