Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AirPlanets, flying disc/spaceships aka ufo's (anti Gravity)  (Read 15449 times)
Surfersurf
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: September 11, 2014, 01:09:06 AM »

hi in halo it was possible to control and fly airplanes and anti gravity devices.

my idea is a very spacey map where there is ufos or airplanes that we can enter fly and control. the flying disc shal be very fast.

another idea is that we add a hook like in tee games, i know there is already a hook in the game but make more like in teegames.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 11:17:08 AM by Surfersurf » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 01:36:35 AM »

my idea is a very spacey map where there is ufos or airplanes that we can enter fly and control. the flying disc shal be very fast.
I fear that's too far from the game's aim. It sounds more adapt for a mod.

another idea is that we add a hook like in tee games, i know there is already a hook in the game but make more like in teegames.
"Tee"? What do you mean with "tee games"? Could you please explain better?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Surfersurf
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 03:56:15 AM »

hi

teeworlds https://www.teeworlds.com/ 
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 04:21:09 AM »

So, you would like an hook not like a weapon to be selected, but as an always-equipped device with a dedicated button, right?

OpenArena implementation of the hook follows the one from Quake 3 Arena (including some of its limitations: by default bots do not use it, due to them having major problems with it).
For more infos: DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Weapons#Offhand_grapple](DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Weapons#Offhand_grapple and DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Weapons/Appendix](DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Weapons/Appendix.

The (unfinished) Q3 hook was designed by id Software to work as a selectable weapon.
Considering OA tries to preserve the original gameplay as much as possible, it's unlikely hook behavior will be changed for the main game (however I hope somewhen its bot-bugs may be fixed by someone, but who knows...).

A different kind of grapple may be more adapt for a mod: I remember there are a few mods which implement a "quick", always equipped (if enabled in settings) hook usable at any time by pressing a dedicated button (I can recall DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/CorkScrew]CorkScrew and DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/Alternate_Fire]Alternate Fire).

« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 04:23:39 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Surfersurf
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 08:46:20 AM »

The hook/grapple would be like in teeworlds right click mouse or what you install it to be. it should work very fast and shoot long. and be able to grab other players.

The map i imagine the 3 round platforms long away from eachother set up on a triangle points. with the weapons shooting way faster then normal and very explosive like 3 times more.

also another idea for a map is a round on like a globe where you can walk all the way around like on the moon or earth.

Anything is possible its an open and free arena.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 09:58:08 AM »

Do you mean "my idea is a sort of sandbox arena" or "this game is open and free, and thus can be modified at will"?

In both cases, I can say that such -interesting- ideas seem more adapt for a DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mod]mod than to the base game (changing weapon behavior is "DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/NOTTODO]NOTTODO"), and of course you can create that mod, but you need to code it yourself, or to find someone capable of doing it.  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 10:22:05 AM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 02:25:17 PM »

Do you mean "my idea is a sort of sandbox arena" or "this game is open and free, and thus can be modified at will"?

In both cases, I can say that such -interesting- ideas seem more adapt for a DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mod]mod than to the base game (changing weapon behavior is "DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/NOTTODO]NOTTODO"), and of course you can create that mod, but you need to code it yourself, or to find someone capable of doing it.  Smiley
Exactly. In this case it would be an UFO map in the middle of the space with the Grappling Hook. That's doable and requires no extra code. Adding vehicles in OA? Definitely not.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 01:16:49 AM »

In this case it would be an UFO map in the middle of the space with the Grappling Hook. That's doable and requires no extra code.
Of course a map with an UFO in the middle can be done, but unfortunately that would not be exactly what he searches for, if I understood his questions.

To make a quick try, if he would just like a spaceship map with the grappling hook, he may play OACMPDM4 in DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Last_Man_Standing]LMS mode (or with DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/G_elimination]g_elimination 1) with DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Elimination#CVARs]g_elimination_grapple 1.... or he may use DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Disabling_and_replacing_items]replacing items feature to make the grapple spawn in the place of another kind of item. But still, it would be a different thing than what he's searching for.

He wants vehicles to drive. He wants a grapple operating in a different way than baseoa one (more similar to Corkscrew and Alternate Fire mods). He wants to change weapon speeds, which IIRC is not possible in baseoa (a few mods, however, do... DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mods/Calypso]Calypso was one of them, but it seems its author, after leaving this forum, also closed his github account). For the "another idea" (if I understood correctly), he would like something like DragonBall King Kay's planet, with the gravity center in the middle of the map, which I can guess isn't supported.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 01:56:35 AM by Gig » Logged

Surfersurf
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 03:36:14 AM »

Anything is possible. think out of the box what is the limits for making a round planet in oa?

Actually i love dragon ball z and thats very much the map i imagined but with more planets. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIOcQQZ9M_Q

thank you for the replys.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 03:56:11 AM »

think out of the box what is the limits for making a round planet in oa?
The standard game does only support one kind of gravity: a single gravity "weight" specified by map maker (but that server can override by tweaking g_gravity or g_gravitymodifier values -see DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Gravity]here for more infos-) which pushes players to the bottom of the map.

Anything different (such as different gravity levels in different areas of the map, or a gravitational push towards a point inside the map) is not supported by base game, and thus you have to code a mod to support that.

In baseoa, if you would create a "dbz King Kay planet" map, you may initially spawn in its upper surface, but when moving too much you would then fall off from the planet, down to the golden clouds.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 05:36:58 AM by Gig » Logged

Surfersurf
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 05:24:41 AM »

another idea is to make 3 round planets only out of h2o water with flying disc inside with gravity like in the other map. and lots of those flying boost with faster flying enabled.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 08:32:55 AM by Surfersurf » Logged
Surfersurf
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 07:40:42 AM »

in a sense for oa players the earth is still flat Evil
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 09:21:03 AM »

in a sense for oa players the earth is still flat Evil
I can guess for most games it is...  Roll Eyes

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 10:01:38 AM »

think out of the box what is the limits for making a round planet in oa?
[probablyte]
The standard game does only support one kind of gravity: a single gravity "weight" specified by map maker (but that server can override by tweaking g_gravity or g_gravitymodifier values -see DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Gravity]here for more infos-) which pushes players to the bottom of the map.

Anything different (such as different gravity levels in different areas of the map, or a gravitational push towards a point inside the map) is not supported by base game, and thus you have to code a mod to support that.

In baseoa, if you would create a "dbz King Kay planet" map, you may initially spawn in its upper surface, but when moving too much you would then fall off from the planet, down to the golden clouds.

Well, if you let the x-, y- and z-axis rotate over a certain angle within the world, then perhaps you could make such thing as a King Kay-map. Actually only the physics need this as it doesn't affect a lot more. So you probably need a reference point which should be the exact hearth of the planet and set the distance between the surface and the hearth of the planet.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 04:27:56 AM by Suicizer » Logged

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Surfersurf
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 10:43:51 AM »

okay.. and if the earth is hollow and the gravity is oppesite on the inside? training with gravity https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GLANQmNpJ4
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 11:09:23 AM by Surfersurf » Logged
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 05:54:23 PM »

There's no variable per-player gravity or triggers for it.  It would mess too much with prediction I think

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Surfersurf
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 09:26:57 AM »

Nothing is still everything changes and moves, every thing is possible. Stan deyo anti gravity video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzOeWRrVCbY

I feel a bit of nay saying on my post to be honest im glad you want to contribute and share your view, but lets get more constructive.
People are very welcome to share their ideas related to my post.. have can we make it work.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 09:34:44 AM by Surfersurf » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 04:25:13 PM »

(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/NOTTODO

Stuff we won't do and never will

Changing the core gameplay of the original game. This includes the physics, weapons, and anything that's the default gameplay. That's stuff for a mod, not for the original gameplay. The only exception to this rule are the TA weapons and the Grapple, because they were already in the Q3/TA code.
(...)
Also, adding or changing stuff which will further break mod compatibility, as mod compatibility IS a main objective of OA. (...)

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Surfersurf
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 07:22:57 AM »

Once again im aware of the current limitations to the game and the current stillness there is for stability.
some of the ideas, are for mods some are not. now the direction we are going in is more ideas, not focus on the current limits, hence most coders game developers are aware of them. it is good to be aware of them.

This post is for inspiration and further developments. mods or original game.

Thank you all.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:25:07 AM by Surfersurf » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: