Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Matches by halfs in objective-based teamgames  (Read 8001 times)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« on: October 08, 2014, 09:12:32 AM »

The latest pre-alphas of the next Unreal Tournament implemented this, and I was surprised to see how well something like that works in objective-based gametypes such as CTF.

The idea goes like this: there's the timelimit we all know. Tongue Before the match starts, this timelimit is cut in half, and players start playing the first half of the match. Once this half ends, every player goes spectator and takes a short break (15 seconds or so), and then the second half starts, with the previous scores and stats kept intact, and with the players respawning in their respective spots.

The logic behind this idea is that, instead of being a fully tensioned match, this short break allows everyone (players, spectators) to release part of that tension and play the second half a bit more distended.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 01:10:08 AM »

I suppose that may be useful also in FFA and TDM...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 04:52:17 AM »

I thought the gameplay should stay unharmed of OA....

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 05:54:24 AM »

I suppose that may be useful also in FFA and TDM...
Hmmm, I thought a bit of this first, but concluded that it won't have the same effect un FFA/TDM.

I thought the gameplay should stay unharmed of OA....
This doesn't really affect gameplay. I've also forgot to mention that this must be an option.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 08:31:43 AM »

Quote from: Neon_knight
This doesn't really affect gameplay. I've also forgot to mention that this must be an option.
It actually does as you play the game differently. The term gameplay isn't existing out of 2 words for no reason.

And why should players lack the skill to concentrate for about 20 minutes on a match while some often play the game for hours?
I only think the effort and time of coding it could be spent on something different which is more beneficial for OA.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 08:45:05 AM by Suicizer » Logged

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 09:35:09 AM »

Maybe an alternative could be adding "callvote timeout"?

However, I agree these are low-priority features...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 03:10:26 PM »

Checking the wishlist I saw this has already been proposed a long time ago as an idea: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3095.msg28518#msg28518

Anyway, the main reason for this mode is to make asymmetric maps viable.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: