Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Draft for a OA Tourney map (hardly inspired by QIIIA Tourney4)  (Read 10090 times)
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« on: January 02, 2017, 07:34:51 AM »

Happy New 2017 to All.  Grin

Would like to introduce my QIIIA Tourney4 inspired map.
Not finished yet but ready for a pre alpha announcement.  punched

Have fool around with shaders and made some own textures. Ya welcome to use it  ccool
Edit: there are just some of my developer textures in it. Don't worrie I will replace them all with some nice fitting textures in the end.

some shots:

Link to the map:

https://app.box.com/s/3isp2qjcwf4vhfxjzufojpj8x4bcoo3f
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 02:44:20 AM by carca55gr1nd3r » Logged
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 02:39:51 PM »

next upgrade ... preparing the inner atrium ... there shall be a lava yard down  mad

no pre-alpha map yet availabe  Tongue

« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 02:47:48 AM by carca55gr1nd3r » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 05:20:59 PM »

Then I'll wait for the next version. Smiley

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 01:07:33 AM »

Well done !! Smiley

Lookout ad the doors !! You have to modify something to avoid the brush merging.

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 01:54:30 AM »

Well done !! Smiley

Lookout ad the doors !! You have to modify something to avoid the brush merging.

Wink

Yeah, that was just done in a fast design session. The inner yard is not touched in the first pre alpha version. I have allrady modifyed the walls up to a thicker size. Now the doors do not stick out of the walls any more Smiley 

Will modify the map a little to provide a next pre-alpha.

Also wana know how ya think about the gameplay of the map...  topsy
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 06:36:42 PM »

okay here the next pre-alpha release ... note the map is not finished yet and there are several details missing and a lot of bugs in ...  shifty

link:
https://app.box.com/s/fzr7zn6dw12llag2rp62g7ba880n86w3

oppinions and comments are welcome ... oh btw the map file is in ... have fun  Wink

« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 03:11:59 AM by carca55gr1nd3r » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 01:20:19 PM »

The map began well. Some first thoughts, though:

- The "perfect symmetry" should definitely be broken. The original Q3Tourney4 wasn't too symmetric.
- Two Railguns? I think it's too much, especially when there's no cover areas.
- The map is very "square". Some areas, such as the central one, would benefit with the use of bezier patches.
- Can you keep those neat dummy textures in the final release or at least a separate pack? They would definitely be helpful. Smiley

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 09:54:03 AM »

The map began well. Some first thoughts, though:

- The "perfect symmetry" should definitely be broken. The original Q3Tourney4 wasn't too symmetric.

Agree I made some map parts fast just by copy and paste and this works perfect in that symmetric design. Smiley
I also started to think about to go more to the floorplan of Q3Tourney4 and cut one side off.
I would like to enlarge the inner yard to the off cuted side ... well letz see Cheesy

- Two Railguns? I think it's too much, especially when there's no cover areas.

Haha, yes  punched . to be frankly the weapons was put randomly, just to have bot gameplay avilable, have just start to find some balanced weapon spawns.

- The map is very "square". Some areas, such as the central one, would benefit with the use of bezier patches.

Yes, also came by the copy and paste workflow ...

- Can you keep those neat dummy textures in the final release or at least a separate pack? They would definitely be helpful. Smiley

My quick an dirty selfmade developer textures?  Cheesy

no problem if you want you can use them in the pre-alpha map pack as I have mentioned feel free to use it Smiley

Not quiet sure from where I have picked up that developer texture idea. Have seen this at several mapping guides.
Some times I just start Radiant without any unpacked texures and shaders and then I open up Gimp and Notepad++ or another text editor and start to
paint / write my own textures and shaders  ccool . Usually I start with these simple "dev Textures".  

You can make also your own. It dosen't needs any master skills on Gimp  Cool

I have made the by:

- start a new picture by size of 256 x 256
- put two help lines 50% in vertical and horizontal
- the first layer I fill with a colour I like
- Then I create a new layer with a different colour normaly a darker or brighter variation of the first layer
- take the selection tool and select along the helplines squares to and remove them on the opposit side
- save it as tga or jpg into a folder inside "textures" folder done.
- on the current once I have put in some stylish OA logo  Huh

I made several variation just in colours or some times also different squares.

The advantage of these textures I see is, to get a feeling about size.
Sometimes maps looking unnatural or feeling wrong just because sizes dosen't fit.    topsy

« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 02:29:01 PM by carca55gr1nd3r » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 03:33:30 AM »

Given a quick FFA test.
I find it nice!

Maybe a few passages, like the one of the screenshots, may be a few units wider...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: