Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenArena for PPC Linux systems  (Read 14923 times)
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« on: April 08, 2007, 03:39:08 AM »

Yes: I did it again!  :-D

I just compiled oa for Linux PPC systems.

Here you can find the download and the instructions.

Good OA to everyone.  ;-)
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 02:24:23 PM »

Hmm... in theory this should work on the Playstation 3.

Now all I need is a USB keyboard & mouse. Smiley

Cheers! for the compile.
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 03:10:08 PM »

Hmm... in theory this should work on the Playstation 3.

Now all I need is a USB keyboard & mouse. Smiley

Cheers! for the compile.

Yes: you're probably right.

And there is an ubuntu desktop cd for ps3 too: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/7.04/beta/
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 01:11:17 PM »

I thought that the PS3 GNU/Linux systems only had a 2D desktop due to the lack of interest from nVidia.

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 01:40:53 PM »

Yes the GPU has been restricted by Sony. And Linux has no direct access to it due to Sonys BIOS update. Sad

However the cell processor has 6 SPE's Linux is allowed to use, and some really fast 512MB RAM. So if I change it from Graphic rendering to Software Rendering in theory OA should run.

How fast it will go is anyone bet until someone actually does it. Smiley
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 03:14:12 PM »

good: i just saw that OA has been included in feisty's universe repository! O_o

well, better than that.... i should have looked before compiling it....
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 01:56:52 PM »

I managed to get it running under my PS3, but it doesnt run to smooth. Sad
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 02:18:10 PM »

thid you toke a look at DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/FAQ#I_have_no_3D_card_.2F_No_OpenGL_acceleration_.21]this?

anyway you need a lot of ram, i don't think that the ps3 has enough.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 02:52:36 PM »

The nv driver is a notoriously buggy piece of code that only runs well on older nVidia chips, wait for the nouveau driver to come of age and then try it.

FragUPlenty
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 10:22:43 PM »

It would be awesome though If we could run linux on the PS3 and get 3d acceleration, then you could load up all those games in the repositories and play them on the big old tv. Anyway if someone figures out how to make drivers for the PS3's accelerator I might buy one in the future when they come down in price just for the hackability of it.

Macintosh - we might not get everything right, but at least we knew the century was going to end.  ~Douglas Adams
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 12:15:24 AM »

It would be awesome though If we could run linux on the PS3 and get 3d acceleration, then you could load up all those games in the repositories and play them on the big old tv. Anyway if someone figures out how to make drivers for the PS3's accelerator I might buy one in the future when they come down in price just for the hackability of it.

Not really, you'd be limited to 640x480 resolution, while it may sound cool to be able to play quake on a 56" screen... it doesn't look nearly as cool as it would if you were playing it on a multiple monitor setup like what MilesTeg is working on  http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=620.msg4154#msg4154

What would really be awesome would be for nVidia and AMD to pull their heads out of their asses and either 1.) release specs for all of their chipsets or 2.) GPL their drivers (it is rumored this won't happen because of existing code within both of the drivers that is stolen from or very similar to Intel's GPL drivers).

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 01:34:42 AM »

Not really, you'd be limited to 640x480 resolution, while it may sound cool to be able to play quake on a 56" screen...

Your forgetting about Hi-Definition. Smiley
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 03:12:16 AM »

Which requires an HD capable television... most people (in the states) still have the older low def sets and that will probably remain true until 2009 when all of the TV stations are required to be digital.

Just think of all that lead that will inevitably leach into the groundwater from all of those disposed TV sets... yummy!

jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 09:55:26 AM »

Which requires an HD capable television... most people (in the states) still have the older low def sets and that will probably remain true until 2009 when all of the TV stations are required to be digital.

Just think of all that lead that will inevitably leach into the groundwater from all of those disposed TV sets... yummy!

same situation here in italy.

well, teorically here we all should only use digital sets since january, but that was a very optimistic law
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 01:19:48 PM »

I would assume most people will opt for the digital receiver that our gov't will be making available.

As for me, I think I'll just build my own receiver/pvr. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: