Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: About maps imported from Quake 1  (Read 80454 times)
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2007, 12:03:48 PM »

the broken walls need fallen debris.

anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2007, 01:12:56 PM »

(No problem for debris)
I have some troubles with the skybox... if I replace it with some real brushes, it really looks bad because I cannot make the towers as huge… The overall really looks pathetic. But there's a few solutions:
- Try to recapture the skybox in 1024sqr
- Create open landscapes
- Do nothing at all and just put a simple sky
- Skyportals (is it only possible in OA Huh)

(Because my hardware can't handle higher resolutions in Darkplaces -so I can't capture skybox again-, I'll try to recreate landscapes)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 05:18:50 PM by anyone » Logged

I'll wear my badge, a vinyl sticker with big block letters adherent to my chest, tells to all your friends: "I am a visitor here, I am not permanent"
(The postal service "district sleeps alone tonight")
Promoted Mapper of the Century by some CPMA mid/high experienced player (luvyoalot, man)
iLeft.bye

Cakes 1

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2007, 05:27:13 PM »

it looks great
anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2007, 07:56:05 PM »

Thanks man, I still have a bunch of things to fix around those two through...
(By the way, I found what I was looking for... I'm kinda excited because it's the first time I'm using that and I wasn't even aware that Quake III was supporting skyportals...)

I'll wear my badge, a vinyl sticker with big block letters adherent to my chest, tells to all your friends: "I am a visitor here, I am not permanent"
Promoted Mapper of the Century by some CPMA mid/high experienced player (luvyoalot, man)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2007, 08:57:17 PM »

it's a q3map2 hack. A well known example of this skyportal is the overrated map Unbalanced, heavily nicked and abused in Warsow

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2007, 08:16:23 PM »

Know what's the time kids? It's the "not that post again?!" time ^^
Of course, I could have drawn another avatar in order to find some clueless excuse, but... well, I've been watching something like ten episodes of Duckman in a row so I could barely keep my eyes open... ho never mind. I think I changed pretty much everything that was mentioned upon...
The Abandoned Base (7 Mo)

(does anyone mind if I try some workaround DM1 ?)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 08:24:31 AM by anyone » Logged

w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2007, 09:47:26 AM »

I must say that I really like maps more and more, the more I test them. They got that darker, dirty grungy feel to them. The DM5 is a pure bliss nothing to suggest at the moment, so now my attention has turned to DM3. There are few things on DM3 that does not really make sense (in my little little head) one of them would be: where are the mega-healths? Smiley The original version did have three mega-healths, this version has at the moment only 1. Especially handy is the  mega-health located at the rounded room. I promise, it is useful, even though it might seem stupid Smiley
Then, another thing, the placement for that lightning gun ammo is very well lit, but from where does the light radiate? The roof hatch has it's lightsource next to it. And then, to something more of a 'it-should-be-this-way' kinda things. That platform where red armor sits, should be a few units higher. At the moment it is possible to crouch-jump up to it from below, this was not possible in the original map (yes, it works in oa_dm3 also). And finally, to add something to my list of things 'that-worked-well-in-the-first-game' would be the positioned jump-pads. Again, in the original version there were elevators, not jump-pads. Don't know how close to the real deal you want to get but for us nostalgics it would make sense, and be fun, to see a map that closely resembles it's original. And yes, I love the broken glass idea in the map even though it wasn't there in the first one Smiley

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2007, 09:57:02 AM »

(does anyone mind if I try some workaround DM1 ?)

I don't mind

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2007, 10:19:35 AM »

Aoutch... seems like you've been testing on a two or three days old map. Many changes have been made already: there's not that broken glass anymore (because I had troubles to make the lightmap work correctly with it and as the map is a bit darker, the trim was looking full bright), only the third mega health is missing (thanks for mentioning it, I've barely played that map back in the '96, I'll check it out) and the under water area is harder to see through -and a bit darker-.

That platform where red armor sits, should be a few units higher.
Thanks for the tip, I'll add a couple of steps, it should do the trick...

in the original version there were elevators, not jump-pads.
I kept that from the last design (I suppose it was dmn_clown's design) ; Of course I could place elevators there but it would require me to do more textures and it would be... *sigh* can't even find decent excuses. Okay, I'll put these elevators back online ^^

Thanks again for the reports (check the last Pk3, another should come soon)

I don't mind
Cool, I started already ^^

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2007, 11:37:12 AM »

Cool, I started already ^^

Ok, but I want to put a stipulation on this, the textures you use should be replacements of iD's q3 textures.  The entire point of this project is to provide a free drop in replacement of iD's q3a+q3ta content which will be next to impossible to accomplish if everyone starts creating new textures outside of that convention.  At the very least try to do this before placing textures outside of that scheme Smiley

anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2007, 11:49:33 AM »

Ok, but I want to put a stipulation on this, the textures you use should be replacements of iD's q3 textures.  The entire point of this project is to provide a free drop in replacement of iD's q3a+q3ta content which will be next to impossible to accomplish if everyone starts creating new textures outside of that convention.  At the very least try to do this before placing textures outside of that scheme Smiley
Err... what do you think if for every new texture, I redo one of Q3A ? So I can use new assets and meanwhile add some for the compatibility of other maps ?

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2007, 01:18:55 PM »

Look, the wires1 texture you use in dm3 should be a replacement for the existing wires02 texture in base_trim, SQRlight should be a replacement for gothic_light2, fx_window should be a replacement for tinfx in base_trim, etc. that is what I am getting at.  I'm not against adding new content, I'm against duplicating existing content and if you can provide replacements for iD's textures/shaders that we haven't done yet, all the better for the project Smiley

Also, before you release your final revisions of the maps could you change the map names to oa_dm1, oa_dm3, and oa_dm5 as opposed to dm*-remake?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 01:31:27 PM by dmn_clown » Logged

anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2007, 01:55:38 PM »

Also, before you release your final revisions of the maps could you change the map names to oa_dm1, oa_dm3, and oa_dm5 as opposed to dm*-remake?
Yeah, sure, I plan to change the location of the sounds of dm5 too (so it would be in sound/world/ instead of sound/dm5/ for consistency ^^)...
(I've uploaded the latest builds of "you know what" on "you know where", but I'll wait a little before making them final (just in case of any troubles we haven't spotted yet suddenly decides to appear))

(About the textures, I did those new textures to match together, I'm afraid to use these as replacement for Q3A because colors/grain/feel may not match and the result of mixed textures in a single level could be disappointing -- Q1 and Q3A are way too distant in my opinion to share the same files. But I'm going to work more with compatibility by now)

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2007, 03:18:11 PM »

Yeah, sure, I plan to change the location of the sounds of dm5 too (so it would be in sound/world/ instead of sound/dm5/ for consistency ^^)

cool

(About the textures, I did those new textures to match together, I'm afraid to use these as replacement for Q3A because colors/grain/feel may not match and the result of mixed textures in a single level could be disappointing -- Q1 and Q3A are way too distant in my opinion to share the same files. But I'm going to work more with compatibility by now)

I'm less concerned about matching iD's q1 colors/grain/feel perfectly and more concerned with the q3a + q3ta framework that this project is about, granted, if you have an idea that doesn't work in that framework, it is alright to expand.  There are two other projects that are working on re-creating q1 content (not including Open Quartz) so we shouldn't try to do the same (Which is why I don't like the evillair textures, because then we just end up looking like Nexuiz without the graphic enhancements).

w1zrd

Cakes 2

« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2007, 12:26:53 AM »

(I've uploaded the latest builds of "you know what" on "you know where", but I'll wait a little before making them final (just in case of any troubles we haven't spotted yet suddenly decides to appear))
And I've downloaded  "you know what" from "you know where" and did some testing with a few friends. Always remember, I am not critical and evil, just thorough (and a little evil at times) Smiley

On DM3 there are very few remarks, apart from one rather annoying glitch (see attached demo). Also on DM3 if not to cumbersome, a nice touch would be to add some ambient sounds, especially in the area with the rocket launcher [note: I LOVE THAT DIRTY WATER!!!]. Maybe some flashing lights at random spots, electric humming, cables with sparks, who knows? Smiley There are also two places on the map where you can walk on air, but it's hard to find so I won't tell unless you ask for it Smiley

On DM5 there are a few things that could be worth thinking about, one of them being the sound of the torches being quite loud, especially when standing underneath two of them. Another thing that we found is that the torches are rather bright when r_flares 1 is enabled, don't know if this is changeable or default OA settings for it. Anyways, two demos included, no need for idiot proof guide in 'how-to..' this time Wink Also a screenshot with r_flares 1 attached, for your viewing pleasure, and last, but maybe not least, a suggestion for a rather brownish wall on DM5, some vines or leaves...or whatever makes you tick..if you think I don't love your maps, think again! We all loved them during testing Wink

anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2007, 06:05:11 AM »

(and a little evil at times)
(I wouldn't mind if you were a little more evil sometimes --I used to make that joke with a friend of mine, but out of context it just sound creepy... err... forget what I wrote--)

1. On DM3 there are very few remarks, apart from one rather annoying glitch (…)
2. There are also two places on the map where you can walk on air, but it's hard to find so I won't tell unless you ask for it Smiley (…)
1. That's a weird one, I'll see what I can do (there another weird, but it appears on the original map too and I don't know how to fix it -hopefully, it doesn't completely block the player-, I think it's like DM5 water pool bug I had (remember the hint brush ?)
I'll try to add more ambience stuff too.
2. Hu ? If it's in that big circle, I'm aware of it but I had to made that jump trick possible… otherwise I don't know where it is :/

(DM5)
1. The sound of the torches being quite loud (…)
2. the torches are rather bright when r_flares 1 (…)
3. a suggestion for a rather brownish wall on DM5, some vines or leaves...or whatever makes you tick.. (…)
1. Unfortunately, I cannot change the volume from into GTKRadiant, so I can try to reduce the amount of sounds entities, modify the existing one wav file or… I don't know, I'll find out. ^^
2. I'll try with another flare type then.
3. You're right, that texture lacks of details. (DM1 should use more vegetation; I have a couple of weird ideas that could really err… look disturbing -- bodies and flowers? "NPD Psycho" anyone?)

I had a look around your demos, I can make the door stay open a little longer, about the arches, I've got a very good excuse: there was a bug before (holes in 50% of doorway) so I turned them into models. I forgot to make them solid but I cannot help for the lightening. About that door trim near the grenade launcher, you'll have to ask Tim, because I'm pretty sure it was in Q1 ^^. I'll check that door near the water fall (and I noticed a bug with the water shader : it hiccups)

if you think I don't love your maps, think again! We all loved them during testing Wink
*I may weep openly* (just kidding, I would be a lot more worried if there were no complains at all). Thank you very much for the feedbacks, I start my bug checklist.

(EDIT: Dm1 : may be delayed because it'll require NEW TEXTURES and I'm trying to balance my photoshop time between Dm1 and Q3A replacements)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 06:10:48 AM by anyone » Logged

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2007, 10:53:04 AM »

one of them being the sound of the torches being quite loud, especially when standing underneath two of them.

The game amplifies sound based on the position of the target speakers, though I would suggest using one of the more quiet wav files produced by the god of hellfire and his plastic bags and possibly moving the target speakers.

anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2007, 11:03:11 AM »

though I would suggest using one of the more quiet wav files (...)
That's what I did

(...)produced by the god of hellfire and his plastic bags (...)
Cheesy

Meanwhile, Dm3 spectator door bug fixed (well, it was easy, it's simply because spectator float upon the floor, so his/her head is slightly higher) -- Dm5 bugs and request checked. I'm still trying to reduce polycount on DM5 with antiportal this time... it works... a little... (there's no shader for that special brush right now by the way)
(ho: and there are only 8 textures left to do to have a complete base_floor replacement...)

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2007, 11:15:01 AM »

I'm still trying to reduce polycount on DM5 with antiportal this time... it works... a little... (there's no shader for that special brush right now by the way

There is now Smiley

w1zrd

Cakes 2

« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2007, 03:17:43 AM »

Tested the later version of DM5 again last night, this time with a few more players. Smooth and nice, everything works fine except one strange bug that occurred. The teleporter randomly decides if you are about to go the 'right' direction, or if you should 'go-back-to-start' without collecting $200. Well, in the real world you cold also call it a bug. It's kinda hard to explain, so guess what? Yes...another demo Smiley This time it is Insomn1a who is acting as a guinea pig, rather him than me I say Wink

As for DM3, we did some further testing on it, nothing to report except that little 'invisible' walk-way at the top of the circular room (yes, that's where you can air-walk) [red circle;)]. The only thing that might have an impact is for people who use tricks to navigate a map, this time I am talking about a technique called plasmaclimbing. You can't plasmaclimb up alongside that wall [green arrow]  (both sides) since you will hit your head in that invisible floor Wink Don't know importance of it, but there you have it mate... Wink

anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2007, 12:39:05 PM »

Dm3 plasma climbing fixed (also added a little hint there, might be useful to someone… I guess)
I checked Dm5 to try to reproduce the bug, but I never managed to do so… Maybe I modified my file after sending it to "you know where" and that's why it doesn't happen to me anymore, (that or I'm not skilled enough to make it). Anyway, I modified teleport size and position (slight change, nothing very important)… I suppose it would fix the bug (other hypothesis was a portal mistake, that's a thing I fixed after net release…)

Important: bsp name have changed! Pk3 filename too, they are now "zdm3-remake.pk3" and "zdm5-remake.pk3" (so it overrides previous OA maps – moves them or changes their extension if you plan to play online so server won't bother)

w1zrd

Cakes 2

« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2007, 03:37:47 AM »

We also tried to re-create that bug now and we couldn't, so chances are that it's gone *poff*
More testing was done on both DM3 and DM5 and I can tell you, you have really managed to impress some old die-hard Quake 1 fans with your maps, and that's saying something...
The textures, the dirty rugged look, the ambient lights, the buzzing sounds, shadows on the wall, the speed, the smell of rocketfuel....oh..I must stop before...

Oh, anyway, here's the latest reporting:
DM5 - everything works like magic, haven't seen any oddities. Still bright flares, but r_flares 0 saves the day Smiley
DM3 - you need a new levelshot (pre-load image) Smiley
That's how long the bug-list was this time Smiley
The maps are awesome, they really bring back memories of the good 'ol days and almost make me wanna cry...
 I also put out the map on a public server without password (I normally protect our beta testing) and the comments from outsiders were quite awesome. Words like amazing, beautiful, wow!, for real? and Quuuuuuuuuuuuuaddd!!! were used. So all in all, I think we can sum it up in one sentence for you:
Amazingly well done! Thank you

anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2007, 10:17:21 AM »

Thanks a lot for the feedbacks ::blushing here:: ^^
Weirdly enough, the snapshot is there, but I forgot to rename dm3-remake.jpg to oa_dm3.jpg...
But if you want a brand new, there's one.
(I'm fixing small details for a certainly very-serious-final release --metal footsteps on computer in dm3, a small blending problem with wooden grates in dm5, zipping sources...--)

(I'm busy with err... life(tm) so dm1 might be delayed)

EDIT: It was displayed right on my computer anyway Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 11:29:20 AM by anyone » Logged

anyone
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

I may weep openly

« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2007, 07:28:07 PM »

Any chance of you redoing the rest of the quake1 maps? It would be a jackpot dude Smiley
Keep up the good work mate!
Thanks Smiley
I'd like to, but I should try to help a little with Q3A texture replacement too (and I'm running out of free time these days, it certainly gonna change in a while but there should be a few days off I guess)

hyp3rfocus
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2007, 07:38:09 PM »

i got the impression from the roadmap on the wiki ((DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Roadmap#0.7_.28Done.21.29) that all the quake1 maps had been converted.

is there still work that needs doing on them? if so i wouldn't mind taking a look myself. i tried getting hold of them, but the link on id's website was broken.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: