Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: xorg crashing...  (Read 6103 times)
chucky
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: July 23, 2007, 09:45:12 PM »

Hi everyone!  Thanks for the cool game!

I am having some trouble getting it to work on my Linux box.  When I start the game, it just crashes the X server and plops me back to the login screen.  There is nothing in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file to indicate what went wrong.  Also, I cannot seem to redirect the console spew out to a file.  Very strange.  This system is a new install, but it seems to very stable other than this. 

Here is a bit about my configuration:
I am running an opteron x2 processor in 32 bit SMP mode on Fedora 7. 
I have 2G RAM and plenty of disk.
My graphics card is an older Nvidia MX 4000 with the version 1.0-9631 driver from Nvidia.
The Xorg version is 1.3.0 (stock with Fedora 7 distro)
KDE version is 3.5.7

Is anyone else seeing this?  I can prolly figure this out if someone can help me get started.

Any help is gratefully appreciated.
Cheers!
-=ChuckT=-
Taiyo.uk
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 01:22:10 AM »

Does this only happen with OA, or do other 3D apps/games cause this as well?

Seems obvious, but have you tried a yum update? I know there were a few X issues on some systems in the initial F7 release.
chucky
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 01:37:42 AM »

I have been trying a few OS games and none of them seem to work right.  Just tried Legends.  So sloooowwww.  Like it is not using GL at all.  I am thinking of installing a different version of the nvidia driver.  It may be worth something to note that my GL screen savers work.  I dont think it is a broken system, but rather that something is not set up correctly, perhaps SDL or something the same.

Oh ya, and I did a full update 3 days ago. 

Does it seem like my setup is OK?  No known issues with the stuff I have?

-=ChuckT=-
chucky
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 03:18:13 AM »

FWIW, I figured out my problem.  I reinstalled the NVIDIA driver and it seems fine now.  I got an old one somehow.  I install 1.0-9639 and everything seems to work, including legends.  Apparently v1.0-9631 is a little buggy.

Cheers!
-=Chuck=-
chucky
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 03:18:43 AM »

Now for the mods.... Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: