Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Recap improvements needed in the Wiki site - Where?  (Read 260954 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #150 on: August 10, 2013, 09:10:12 AM »

Hi guys! This will be my last post for about a week (I'll be totally offline).

Just to tell you I've added a "key features" box in the wiki, through a template:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Main_Page#Key_features

Feel free to fix (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Template:Key_features, if needed.
Bye, see you in about a week!  Smiley

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #151 on: August 27, 2013, 12:16:57 PM »

I think a shorter list may go well. There's no real need to spoil of everything the game has to offer. I would start focusing only on things which are accesible through the GUI.

On another note, I was thinking, what about a Map Compatibility list, in the same vein as Mod Compatibility? OFC every map may work with OA, but this would focus on which maps have full support and which are lacking it (i.e. if they're missing textures, sounds, shaders, possibly music, etc) and which others tend to cause problems (modify a game's vital file such as arenas.txt or bots.txt for example). It would also serve us as guides to see which textures/shaders should get the highest priority.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 12:31:45 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #152 on: August 28, 2013, 01:02:15 AM »

This about map compatibility may seem a nice idea... but the problem is how to maintain a such list.
I can guess maps are much more than mods... (example: how many of DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Quality_maps]these or DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Third_Party_Maps]these have been actually tested with OA 0.8.8?).
Even mod pages are not very well maintained, at the moment...

However, how did you thought to structure a such page? Creating a sub-page for each one would be a monstrous work...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #153 on: August 28, 2013, 07:21:29 AM »

On the contrary, maps are easier to maintain by way of not creating pages exclusively for them. I find separate pages for maps, unless there's an extreme need for it, to be unnecessary, unlike mods whose compatibility is more of an issue for OA.

The only needed fields required are mapname/maplongname, missingtextures, missingsounds, other issues. And that's it.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #154 on: August 28, 2013, 07:03:03 PM »

Some of the Angelyss skin descriptions are written a little creepy.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #155 on: August 28, 2013, 07:31:14 PM »

Any idea, now that Angelyss is going to change from a Hunter-esque character into a rider for OA3?

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #156 on: August 28, 2013, 08:22:04 PM »

Hunter was designed to be "Frazetta-esque" (as in Frank Frazetta and Luis Royo). Angelyss was designed the same way. Having her ride some beast doesn't exactly depart from that Tongue

Sorceress's role is more of a Mynx-esque... and we really don't need to note the 'esques' in the Wiki for the characters nor do we need to state graphic details like clit rings (which isn't even in the design) because that would trigger some ad servers WHICH IS KIND OF WHY I BROUGHT UP THE CREEPY PARTS

more fiction, less explicit description, this isn't some OC site now....
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 08:28:07 PM by fromhell » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #157 on: August 28, 2013, 09:22:40 PM »

I wasn't defending the creepiness, I'm all for crushing it. It's just that (except some parts which were taken from an older thread I've made) nobody knows the true bio of the characters.

(Inb4 a SHFG comes to complain that nobody plays OA for the story and bla bla bla...)

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #158 on: August 30, 2013, 10:16:14 AM »

Well, I've opened the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/MapCompat]MapCompat page. It includes the maplists from Kinjada's article and the 100-map mappack, as starting point. Whoever is willing to cooperate, any help is welcome.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #159 on: September 01, 2013, 04:14:27 AM »

Considering that "ModCompat" is a redirect to "Mod compatibility", I've moved "MapCompat" to be a redirect to "Map compatibility". Is that ok? I also added category and DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Special:WhatLinksHere/Map_compatibility]a few incoming links to that page.

Question: is the "version" field thought for OpenArena version, or for map version? I can guess it's OA version, but I want to be sure.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 04:24:43 AM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #160 on: September 01, 2013, 04:19:44 AM »

OA version.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #161 on: September 01, 2013, 09:19:37 AM »

I was also thinking on "Bot chat ideas", but that should be tied to the characters themselves, which haven't yet (as of 0.8.8 ) a definitive personality (aside of looks), and with the advent of OA3, they might be sent to modelling hell...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 11:02:21 AM by Neon_Knight » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #162 on: September 05, 2013, 05:23:41 AM »

About map compatibility, I was thinking... maybe the "missing texture" info should be divided into different cases, to distinguish maps where there are just a few places with missing textures (minor problem, not really affecting gameplay?), and maps where big parts show missing textures (major problem, affecting gameplay?)?

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #163 on: September 05, 2013, 05:39:44 AM »

"MT? Much, Few, None", something like that? For example, showing M, F or N in the MT column.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #164 on: September 05, 2013, 06:53:00 AM »

"MT? Much, Few, None", something like that? For example, showing M, F or N in the MT column.
Maybe one might continue showing just "." (as now) for "none", for recognizing flawless maps more easily.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 07:12:00 AM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #165 on: September 05, 2013, 07:56:41 AM »

I've DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=Map_compatibility&diff=14668&oldid=14614]edited the page for using "M", "F" and ".". I also added a "ref" note about missing sounds (could you please confirm I wrote right things?) in the introduction.

About missing sounds... what's the correct way to detect if some of them are missing?
Is it this?
1) launch OpenArena
2) load the map you wish, with no bots (to be sure missing bot sounds do not interfere with the test; about your own model missing sounds, I can guess that using Sarge model should be safe)
3) pull down console and search for yellow "WARNING: using default sound for ...".
IGNORING these 6 lines, that currently -0.8.8- are ALWAYS listed (fixing them before next OA release may be a nice idea):
- sound/items/cl_ammoregen.wav
- sound/weapons/nailgun/wnailmpd.wav
- sound/weapons/vulcan/wvulimpd.wav
- sound/weapons/vulcan/wvulimpl.wav
- sound/weapons/vulcan/wvulimpm.wav
- sound/misc/yousuck.wav
Example: except those above, "Hibernia" map lacks sound/world/fireloud.wav... (note: even stock OA map "oa_shouse" lacks the same file, too!)

One imporant thing to notice is that each sound file warning is shown ONLY ONCE for each time you launch OpenArena. It seems to me that if you load a second map (or also reload the same), those sound warnings previosly shown will not be shown again. This may bring us to think the second map has no missing sound, but in reality it may miss the same sounds that were missing in the map we previously tried. Hence, we should close and launch OpenArena again after each time we find a map with a missing sound (except the 6 sounds of the list above).
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 09:11:16 AM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #166 on: September 05, 2013, 10:42:11 AM »

Well, yeah, that's one way, since "sndlist" isn't implemented yet, unlike "modellist" and "shaderlist".

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #167 on: September 05, 2013, 10:43:41 AM »

s_useOpenAL 0 followed by s_list

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #168 on: September 05, 2013, 11:06:07 AM »

s_useOpenAL 0 followed by s_list
Interesting. I can guess that the first column is sound "size" and one can understand which sounds are missing due to having 0 size?

Note: you may need snd_restart (or close and restart OpenArena) after setting s_useOpenAL 0.

PS: Similar shortcuts to detemine which shaders or textures are missing? I see some "(DEFAULTED)" lines if I use \shaderlist... but the list is longer than console output history...

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #169 on: September 05, 2013, 08:20:29 PM »

There is also imagelist,  which is focused on the textures themselves.

though what i really want is a command that lists models, images and sound files used, then export the used files to a subfolder for 'used resource repacking' which would be useful for making smaller releases.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 08:53:44 PM by fromhell » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #170 on: September 06, 2013, 01:40:27 AM »

About the wiki, another page that may be useful, may be one talking about "arenas.txt and .arena files".
I've searched for some infos about it on the net, but I have not found documentation about it.
Do you have some documentation about that?

Example: in the .arena file file of "aqua" map (aqua arena), they wrote a "recommended" parameter (the number of recommended bots, I can guess)...
I've done some try with my own map (with sv_pure 0), and it looks like it does nothing (or maybe it's me that do not understood what's that supposed to do). Maybe that was just a recommendation for human beings that may have looked at the .arena file?

However, I tried searching for some documentation about .arena files, but I found nothing.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #171 on: September 06, 2013, 06:09:07 AM »

Another small thing about the wiki: Fromhell, could you please say your opinion about DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Talk:FAQ#About_the_25MB_texture_compatibility_pack]this, that that discussion page? Thank you!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 06:46:19 AM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #172 on: September 09, 2013, 07:00:26 AM »

Hello, people! I've finally added this page to the wiki:

(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Disabling_and_replacing_items

... it was A LOT of time I desired to do it...

Bye!

PS: maybe just a few items are missing in the list (e.g. Domination points), if you wanna to complete it... but I don't think they are so important. I took the list from this post, and I partially re-organized it...
Update: it seems "set disable_domination_point 1" does not work. However, no problem, doing that would have been silly.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:43:26 AM by Gig » Logged

grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #173 on: September 09, 2013, 12:14:35 PM »

About the wiki, another page that may be useful, may be one talking about "arenas.txt and .arena files".
I've searched for some infos about it on the net, but I have not found documentation about it.
Do you have some documentation about that?

I'm not aware of any such documentation, so you might need to dig into the (q3_)ui and game code. Mods might provide support for additional keywords (such as "recommended", which I haven't seen used codewise in Q3/OA at all).

This space is for rent.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #174 on: September 09, 2013, 07:10:39 PM »

On hindsight, I'm not sure if I would like the use of "disable_" and "replace_". Because the issues with the map are still there, and those are things which will possibly never be reported. Then, after the releases, we have the load of bullshit we have to deal with.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: