Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: 0.7.6 bug thread  (Read 63863 times)
pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« on: April 22, 2008, 01:50:18 AM »

mmk, well this is the unofficial 0.7.6 bug thread i guess. here are a few bugs i have noticed in offline skirmish and campaign mode. didnt really play much online yet since not many are online as i type this and there arent many servers with the new version yet.

1. sdl mouse stutter bug in windows. seems to happen for me after a single full round of play. havent tested in linux yet.
2. r_bloom 1 is REALLY SLOW in windows. doesnt seem to affect linux.
3. some textures seem to be missing, especially on the first "new" campaign map and maps with lava. might just be me though.
4. potential problems if you have 0.7.1 pak files in your profile's open arena folder.
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 02:27:07 AM »

Could you please take a screenshot of this lava texture problem. I tested CE1M7 which has lava and it displayed perfectly in Linux.

No known bugs on Linux atm. Smiley
Lemonzest
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 04:48:08 AM »

r_bloom and sdl mouse are perfect here on Server 2003 Smiley if anything the mouse is smoother, and the FPS higher over oa071
RAZ3R
Bigger member

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 05:38:20 AM »

1. Mouse has been fucked.
2. Often when I start a map I will have an average fps of about 45, though doing a vid_restart will give me an average fps of 130 (without changing any settings) - in the previous version I had an average fps of about 130 with the same config, no vid_restart ever required.
3. When browsing for a sever the error "Com_sprintf: overflow of 33 in 32" appears in the console a total of 737 times (when I tested it).
4. Probably also in previous versions, though if you select nightmare skill in single player, the nightmare sound effect continues to play even if you then click on a different difficulty or go back to the main menu (or any other menu). It's just really annoying as the sound effect goes on for about 30 seconds.
5. Mouse has been fucked.
6. Mouse has been fucked.
7. Mouse has been fucked.
8. Mouse has been fucked.
9. Mouse has been fucked.

That's all I can think of atm.

TheMechanicalHand
Bigger member

Cakes -1

Birdo

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 06:20:18 AM »

i have something to report

everytime i enter a Multiplayer game it comes up with this...
>bad client=39
and the leader board is stuffed for online play Sad

And in this moment Seconds stop and I burst with clarity, A wealth of love and hate gone blank For I finally remember my fucking name!! What do you want! i breathe wind, the clarity is gone, and my pulse is faint!
RAZ3R
Bigger member

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 07:01:55 AM »

"leader board" ..?

Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 07:13:56 AM »

qft
the sens got alot higher, and whenever you look quickly, it moves disproportionatly faster.
I was unable to add any bots other than grunt to my offline games
I tried to load up the sergei model, but oa crashed and I had to set com_hunkmegs to a higher value.
I have noticed that multiple times oa has just crashed because I would try to start a game Sad I remember, I tried to do a ctf elimination against bots on ctf_inyard, and it just died on me Sad
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 07:21:27 AM by Gerbil » Logged

Quote from: sploosh
there once was an animal called gerbil
he dreamed he was eating his turtle
he awoke with a frieght
in the middle of the night
to find out that he was a squirtle
<< ME >>
i claim to be leilol and i think every forum is a public and free speech venue

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 09:01:14 AM »

qft
the sens got alot higher, and whenever you look quickly, it moves disproportionatly faster.
I was unable to add any bots other than grunt to my offline games
I tried to load up the sergei model, but oa crashed and I had to set com_hunkmegs to a higher value.
I have noticed that multiple times oa has just crashed because I would try to start a game Sad I remember, I tried to do a ctf elimination against bots on ctf_inyard, and it just died on me Sad

Gerbil, try uninstalling OA from  C:/Program Archives, completly and installing it again.
Dunno why but some older .pk's are fucking the new version..

You may want to create a backup of the files before uninstalling..! Smiley

"uh.. FREE SPEECH?? does it make any sense to you??
Deleting posts and locking topics is just the same as banning"
pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 11:30:54 AM »

the leaderboard being messed up is common on some ctf servers for some reason (probably whatever mod they are using), happened prior to this update.
here are the two places ive noticed missing textures so far, and i apologize for the dark and poor quality, i still havent figured out why it is so:
kaos2

repulsion (one of the new maps)

the mouse when its not feeling like im using a 10fps rate cap feels smoother to me for some reason and i have smooth mouse off. i think its even helped my aim a little. anyone who is having mouse and r_bloom problems or other performance related issues should probably post their system specs since i have an idea its less of a problem on higher end machines. anyways here are mine:
3ghz pentium 4 (prescott)
1GB ddr 400 ram
nvidia geforce 6200OC 256MB vram (AGP)

another thing i noticed is that for some reason my fps dips below 125 more often now( but unrelated to the mouse bug since the mouse bug happens even at a steady 125). in 0.7.1 it almost never dipped cept for some really high end levels like pom_bots, but in 0.7.6 its happening even in lesser detailed levels.

as for random crashes, you should probably go to your C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\OpenArena folder and rename it to test. its how i found out i had old pak files that were causing problems. on that note ill probably end up just trashing my folder in a few days once all the servers have converted.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 02:57:03 PM »

You should use the screenshot feature in the game to take pictures at the proper brightness level.

BUG:
Can't use res lower than 640x480, gets boxed into a corner if I force one.
Can't use 16-bit color

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 03:02:08 PM »

Gerbil, try uninstalling OA from  C:/Program Archives, completly and installing it again.
Dunno why but some older .pk's are fucking the new version..

You may want to create a backup of the files before uninstalling..! Smiley
ok, thanks Smiley

Quote from: sploosh
there once was an animal called gerbil
he dreamed he was eating his turtle
he awoke with a frieght
in the middle of the night
to find out that he was a squirtle
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 03:04:31 PM »

Missing textures:
make sure you remove all of the old pk3s from your baseoa in your OA installation and in your home directory (depending on your operating system). I rewrote most of my shaders so if you tried one of my beta maptests there might be a problem with 0.76 if you got them still on your disk.

My fault: New textures which come with OA 0.76 replace a few I used in ctf_inyard and oa_koth1. Both maps are playable but look a little different as intended. Most players won't recognize this much because they don't know any of my betas. So this is a bug I'm aware of and will be fixed in next release. Wink

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 05:07:42 PM »

i think i may have some of your beta paks or something... do you remember the names of them? i noticed in defrag i had multiple entries for some maps.

also, compiz fusion and OA dont play so well together. the mouse ends up doing this funny lag thing where you move it and the cursor follows almost a second later. i didnt have this problem with 0.7.1.
TheMechanicalHand
Bigger member

Cakes -1

Birdo

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 05:57:15 AM »

"leader board" ..?
oops...lol i meant score board thingy u no when press TAB

i have another thing to report only small tho...

if u get to close to the Smarine u get stuck lol

And in this moment Seconds stop and I burst with clarity, A wealth of love and hate gone blank For I finally remember my fucking name!! What do you want! i breathe wind, the clarity is gone, and my pulse is faint!
kick52

Cakes -1

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 09:00:59 AM »

Oa_bases3 water and I suspect other water areas have NOT BEEN FIXED

I get 4 FPS on oa_bases3, fuck that, I wish I didn't download now
pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 01:06:01 PM »

oh and in my kaos2 screenshot, the lava ingame looks white with no texturing at all. damn screwed up gamma x.x

edit: fixed the textures in repulsion by getting rid of sleekgrinder.pk3, slimefac_b2.pk3 and prev.pk3. i think the sleekgrinder one was the culprit but i got rid of all 3 in case they were causing texture conflicts. kaos2 is still borked though Sad
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 06:05:57 PM by pikaunforgiven » Logged
jackthompson
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 09:03:57 AM »

a bot didn't have the right teamcolor when we switched from ffa to domination... the teams were not balanced and i could shot that bot... when i kicked him and he returned everything was fine..

and i seem to, sometimes, get stuck together with another player for 1-2 seconds if i run into him...
Timedude
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2008, 06:42:04 AM »

Alright, I've got some of these bugs too.

First one: When I try and launch a mod, by using the mod menu, it no longer shows all the mods I have in my MacOS folder. Instead, it has only two listings: OpenArena (the default), and another that reads NoGhost. I have no fucking idea what that is, so I'm leaving that to you guys, I guess. And, the whole system worked fine yesterday, although NoGhost did appear then, all the other mods still showed up, and worked fine... Anyway...

Um, other one is that the smarine is named grunt. I know how o fix that, I just wondered how that happened...

Oh, and I'm on a Mac, in case that matters. Other than that, great game as always. Loving double domination!

Timedude
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008, 09:53:33 AM »

First one: When I try and launch a mod, by using the mod menu, it no longer shows all the mods I have in my MacOS folder. Instead, it has only two listings: OpenArena (the default), and another that reads NoGhost. I have no fucking idea what that is, so I'm leaving that to you guys, I guess. And, the whole system worked fine yesterday, although NoGhost did appear then, all the other mods still showed up, and worked fine... Anyway...
you're right: mods in Contents/MacOS folder are no longer showing up. This happens in latest revisions of vanilla ioq3 too, so it isn't strictly an OpenArena bug. I susptect that this behavior is intentional, but i don't know why they chose to do so.

you can put mods in two places in os x: in the same folder of OpenArena.app or in ~/Library/OpenArena ("~" is your home folder), you probably have something called "NoGhost" here.

Um, other one is that the smarine is named grunt. I know how o fix that, I just wondered how that happened...
smarine is called with his name for me in the selections screens. it is called "grunt" in the single player selection screen (and sarge is called "grism") probably because there is no "grunt" (or "grism") character.
Timedude
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2008, 12:46:38 PM »

you're right: mods in Contents/MacOS folder are no longer showing up. This happens in latest revisions of vanilla ioq3 too, so it isn't strictly an OpenArena bug. I susptect that this behavior is intentional, but i don't know why they chose to do so.

you can put mods in two places in os x: in the same folder of OpenArena.app or in ~/Library/OpenArena ("~" is your home folder), you probably have something called "NoGhost" here.

smarine is called with his name for me in the selections screens. it is called "grunt" in the single player selection screen (and sarge is called "grism") probably because there is no "grunt" (or "grism") character.

Well, it apears I'll be one of the few ones boycotting 7.6 then. I have Open Arena pretty much only so I can play mods. Namely Afterwards and Runes. So, I'm going back to 7.0. Sorry guys.

And as for the NoGhost thing, I can't find anything like what you described. I don't have an Openarena folder in the library, although i would guess you're right about it being native to my user only, since my brother's user works doesn't have a NoGhost listing.

Oh, and I asked about grunt because it used to be keyed to the gargoyle model, the tech one I think.

Hmmm... [sarcasm] Nice move, Openarena/ioq3. [/sarcasm]

Timedude
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2008, 03:50:54 PM »

Well, it apears I'll be one of the few ones boycotting 7.6 then. I have Open Arena pretty much only so I can play mods. Namely Afterwards and Runes. So, I'm going back to 7.0. Sorry guys.
place your mods in the same folder of OpenArena or in ~/Application Support/OpenArena. Where's the problem?
And as for the NoGhost thing, I can't find anything like what you described. I don't have an Openarena folder in the library, although i would guess you're right about it being native to my user only, since my brother's user works doesn't have a NoGhost listing.
your user Library.
in the Finder select the menu item Go>Home (that is usually referred as "~", "home" or "/Users/youruser"), there is a "Library" folder in the window that will open. The "OpenArena" folder that you need is the one inside the "Application Support" folder that is in this "Library" folder.
If you still can't find it i'm attaching a script that will open it for you. just download decompress and double-click it.
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2008, 03:46:23 AM »

copy the problem of getting stuck when you're crashing into foe who's using smarine model.

At least I'm used to play with 'cg_forceplayermodel' and it happend to me several times last night.

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
Timedude
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2008, 05:45:39 AM »

Oh. I feel like an idiot now. Thanks for the help. They're all working now, with colored text!

Oh, and I have an actual bug to report. The bfg animation is jacked up in third person. Instead of rotating like the machine gun would, the front flips into the back of the actual model. Like the rotation point isn't running through the center, but it's running through the gun horizontally along the front, connecting to the back of the part that rotates. That's hard to describe, so I need to know how to take a screenshot, I guess.

Timedude
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2008, 06:49:47 AM »

Oh. I feel like an idiot now. Thanks for the help. They're all working now, with colored text!

good to see problems solved. ;-)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2008, 01:50:32 AM »

Oh, and I have an actual bug to report. The bfg animation is jacked up in third person. Instead of rotating like the machine gun would, the front flips into the back of the actual model. Like the rotation point isn't running through the center, but it's running through the gun horizontally along the front, connecting to the back of the part that rotates. That's hard to describe, so I need to know how to take a screenshot, I guess.
This only happens in the controls menu
just a very, VERY minor 'bug'.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: