Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: am_mckinleyish2: Another pseudo-rendition :P  (Read 51207 times)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2008, 06:39:18 PM »

Uploaded map, you can download it from the link at the first post.
Caca should be uploading this version soon.

Screenshots are uploading now.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
riklaunim
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2008, 05:30:27 PM »

OA_DM7 or another one has jumpers in the water corridor (and foggy water?). Maybe you could add this to the pools by the bases? It would increase usability of those corridors for bots, and make it harder to camp at the corridor exit Smiley
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2008, 01:34:34 AM »

I think this map could look a lot better with just some different textures, some ideas:

(1) use metal for the posts (supports) in the flag rooms, e.g. e7/e7brnmetal or base_trim/dark_tin2

(2) have a special floor in the flag rooms, e.g. e7/e7sbrickfloorbig

(3) the thin walkways in the flag rooms could be made out of wood, e.g. e7/e7panelwood

(4) instead of the lower ramps (four of them coming from the quad room), have steps which use a wood or metal texture.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2008, 05:22:29 AM »

I actually made some changes to the map, but I'll wait until I've had enough feedback.

Just to keep you noticed:

- Replaced brick stairs in bases which goes to Nailgun spot and Rocket Launcher walkway with 2 jumppads which goes from the lower floor to their respective area.
- Added ammo
- Enlarged water entrance.
- Ceiling is now a little bit higher.
- Deleted Railgun ammo and Armor shards from sniper spots, and put instead of normal RG a 5-shot 30sec-respawn Railgun.
- Retexturizing map and adding more detail.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 07:18:14 AM by Armageddon_Man » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2009, 11:14:07 AM »

I'm starting to think that this map should be remade entirely from scratch...

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2009, 06:51:59 PM »

IMPORTANT NOTE: I'll be redoing this map entirely from scratch. I'm not happy with it. I promise the next version will be better. The only thing is... don't suggest to put out water of the level. I won't be part of that "let's put water and hazards out of OA" campaign. Smiley
IMPORTANT NOTE 2: You should try this map with oaxB32 and the Grapple model from Snickersnack and Noob Sauce. sago007 has fixed issues with Grapple in oaxB32, for example the most important one: it appear before Gauntlet, not after, so you won't spawn with it at first place anymore. Smiley Unfortunately we have to wait until 0.8.2 to see those changes.
I've posted these two notes in the first post, but I'll post again here to make everybody knows about it. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 06:58:31 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2009, 01:31:43 AM »

McKinleyish is back... I was starting on another version, but I thought it was better to fix the original one instead of creating another from scratch. I'll be resizing the map in another moment. I suggest you to test it with the newest OAX(b41) You'd like to enable Grapple too. Cheesy

Changes:
- Players won't start with grapple anymore.
- Replaced water entrance by a chamber which has a teleporter on it. This chamber has Guard & Shotgun.
- Fixed lighting. Now it won't look as a shiny level anymore.
- Redistributed ammo.
- Raised ceiling on bases.
- Replaced improvised stairs @ bases with jumppads which goes from the floor onto the respective sections.
- Added another ramp to the flag.
- Added arrow & weaponspot signals, from the replacements I've done.

To do:
- Add detail
- Increase size (1.5x maybe?)

It has Invulnerability, so I've made a simple icon, since there's one on the map and there's no model for it. :/ Download for it is in the first post too.

cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2009, 12:20:16 PM »

I am glad you changed/redid a lot. Still the bases and the big central room are too small. Especially the bases are tiny and I am missing crates and features to battle between. Your texture setting does not fit it all too well remembering the original being industrial themed. So if you are going with this ancient temple textures you should have it look like more ruined and temple like (you improved regarding to this with your new flames/light sources). An altar of pure evil would be kool. (I'm including one in my current tourney map. Tongue)

Please rethink lighting / compile options in general. It is looking bright and flat.

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2009, 03:46:25 PM »

While I'm preparing the map to be uploaded, there you have the screenshots and changelist. Maybe this map's layout doesn't look like McKinley's previous incarnations, given it's status of classic.

Maybe I should call this map am_mcknightley instead. Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 04:47:10 PM by |TXC| Neon_Knight » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 04:41:52 PM »

Map uploaded. ^^

Before you say something, yes, there's too much ammo in the Ammo Regen corridors, and I'm not happy with this too. I'll be moving some ammo to the flag bases or the center area, or the sniper spot... I'll see later.

I was thinking on bringing back the Grapple. In 0.8.1 it couldn't work, but due to some areas and the intense changes sago made to it, it should work now. There's also a model for it, made by Snickersnack & Noob_Sauce, which (unfortunately) didn't make into OA due to licensing issues. Sad

cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 05:18:45 PM »

Impressive new release. Why do you want to add a grapple here? No need for that. Besides: How do you think new players should get the nailgun when not able to do strafe/rocket jumps? Do not rely on grapple. That would create an annoying gameplay.

new bases are 1000% better now. I have to confess I did not like the former ones a single bit...

Minor issues:
  • very repetitive/boring texturing
  • always samesize/too narrow corridors (compared to the Q2 version)
  • weapons only placed near bases. What if I need to hunt the enemy flag carrier after respawn? I wont get any weapon before I enter foes base.
  • mission pack powerups (invulnerability) available in baseoa
  • shortest way is through railgun teleporter, jumping through the window. Thats too fast compared to the normal way.

How do you do the following: Having RA and Invulnerability in same spawning place without having them spawn together?

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2009, 05:48:37 PM »

• very repetitive/boring texturing
Well, there's not too much to choose for that kind of theme anyways. At least in acc_dm5 (I haven't looked at other packages)

• always samesize/too narrow corridors (compared to the Q2 version)
The corridors are that way for the sake of vis. If I'd made them 2X their actual size they would be huge. Maybe I should lower the detail's size?

• weapons only placed near bases. What if I need to hunt the enemy flag carrier after respawn? I wont get any weapon before I enter foes base.
That's a good point. Maybe moving some of the base' weapons to the area?

• mission pack powerups (invulnerability) available in baseoa
What's the problem with it? Invulnerability (and Kamikaze) in 0.8.1 isn't available, but in the latest OAX version it's enabled.

• shortest way is through railgun teleporter, jumping through the window. Thats too fast compared to the normal way.
Yep, another one. I'll put that item to the list.

How do you do the following: Having RA and Invulnerability in same spawning place without having them spawn together?
Teaming up them: you select both, go to entities, and in Team Name put a name for both of them. It's even in the description.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2009, 10:29:07 AM »

I've seized a mistake I've made to do some extra changes to the map.

- Bot & player clipping.
- Railgun spot clipping to avoid escape from it.
- Hinting ^^ Now shouldn't be possible, from any point of the flag bases, to make Q3/OA renderize the center area. (Or unnecesary things)
- Moved ammo to bases.
- Fixed a mistake in the .arena file. It would try to read am_mckinleyish instead of am_mckinleyish2.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2009, 07:42:51 PM »

Final (by now) version of this map.

- Moved RL near to the entrance.
- Added subacuatic chamber and Quad.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: