Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenArena Tournament: my SP campaign  (Read 127790 times)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2008, 07:22:06 PM »

Ferk... you hit in the nail. ^^ I like that story idea. That big text can serve as an intro, and a reducted version of it as his Bio.

Some ideas:

Cosmogeddon
Timirugi
Stratus
Dorrovan
Ninmannus
Areler
Rulerena
Epikiller
Ultirena

I think the Cosmogeddon name must be used, even on a smaller character.
The truth is that... Cosmogeddon is the fusion of me and cosmo. Cheesy Grin

I thought on Cosmaster, but I don't know...

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2008, 01:45:41 PM »

The truth is that... Cosmogeddon is the fusion of me and cosmo. Cheesy Grin

That's why it must be used. Wink

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2008, 07:42:54 AM »

Well... think on Cosmogeddon as an ancient parent of <Insert_final_boss_name_here>. Tongue

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
MCMic
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2008, 10:52:08 AM »

Good idea!

The cutscenes can be in 2D animations or in comics.
Or just good pictures with a narator.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2009, 08:35:30 PM »

Updated the first post with a link to cosmo's post. That will be the current release of the SP, so it needs testing as well to see if bots work as bios says.
I need to work on LavaArena. -.-
I'm still with no idea on boss name, (I thought on Cosmaster but it sucked as well) and the sketch Ferk has posted can be a good start for the boss model.

After some time thinking and some talkings later, I decided to not to include schism-b2 in the SP. Sad
I left the link to q3dm6ish DM version, only for testing purposes, but remember that I'm working right now on the CTF version, and I'll be doing DM one when I finish CTF version, and it'll be off on half the map.

Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2009, 05:16:59 AM »

I'm still with no idea on boss name, (I thought on Cosmaster but it sucked as well) and the sketch Ferk has posted can be a good start for the boss model.

How about Muay TiMaster? Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muay_Thai
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2009, 05:48:24 AM »

How it can be?

Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2009, 07:53:08 PM »

How it can be?

Oh, I should explain. Where I live, Thai and Ti sound the same. Furthermore, a skilled martial artist is commonly called a master. So you might hear someone called say a Kung Fu or Muay Thai master.

I thought Muay TiMaster would be funny because it's two names in one. It would also go with the q3a theme in that Xaero resembles a Shaolin monk.

Don't take it too seriously. Wink
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2009, 08:02:36 PM »

And a sketch of it can be...

(I'm beginning to like that idea, but there should be some sketch in order to got an idea of it, maybe I should get the Wiki with all the Boss ideas)

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2009, 10:54:34 PM »

I guess I'll make some new changes to Tier 2, all depends on boczeq's answer to my retex of his map blitzkrieg.

If all goes well, it'll stay and I'll make cosmo happy (Tongue) by changing ctf_gate1 for andrewj's retex of oa_rpg3dm1.
- oa_dm3 vs. Beret & Soldier
- blitzkrieg2 vs. Assassin & Skelebot
- am_lavaarena vs. 4 guys
- oa_rpg3dm1 vs. Metalbot

If all goes bad, it'll be replaced by oa_rpg3dm1, and ctf_gate1 will stay in its place.

- oa_dm3 vs. Beret & Soldier
- oa_rpg3dm1 vs. Assassin & Skelebot
- am_lavaarena vs. 4 guys
- ctf_gate1 vs. Metalbot

Basically, the original blitzkrieg was under GPLv3, something I didn't look at for while I was retexturizing that map, so I've emailed him. I'll be waiting for his answer...

I wanted to put oa_lun3dm2 instead of ctf_gate1 for it's blue theme, but it has the same issue, the original map was released under GPLv3. Sad

cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2009, 04:27:59 AM »

This should replace OA Singleplayer in next release. I'm going to release oa_koth2 under GPL too. Where would you place it in the campaign?

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2009, 06:32:47 AM »

Honestly... I haven't no idea...
Maybe it can replace oasago2 in T6...

pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2009, 05:49:53 AM »

i'm all for this overhaul of the singleplayer part. but what i would like to see is some kind of progression for the player.
experiencing new things one after another and not encounter it all on the first tier. for example i think it would be a good idea to place smaller maps in the first tiers and then keep them getting bigger and bigger (apart from the last tourney map in each tier that always should be small). in my opinion "sleekgrinder" is a far to large and difficult to navigate to belong in the first tiers.

i would also like to see maps with less weapons in the first tier. there are not many games in which the player get the entire arsenal of weapons in the first stage and then keep them through the entire game. having it all from the beginning will get the game boring - introducing new weapons and pickups at different stages keeps the game interesting and the player will be more motivated to proceed through the different tiers. the same applies to quad, speed, jumppads, teleporters, carried stuff like medikits and personal teleporters. in my opinion the railgun for example does not belong in the first tiers.

these are just my thoughts - but i really do think it would add to the experience for a new player.

and one more thing - tier 5 has three maps from quake 1 - this is bad distribution imo Cheesy

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2009, 05:54:07 AM »

I have the OK. Cheesy

Hello,

I like how you retexturized my map.
You can re-release blitzkrieg under GPLv2.
You can do whatever you want with this map.
When will be next version of OA?

Best regards,
Filip
Isn't there any problem with it, fromhell? I don't want to be sticked out to conflicts. :/

So... these will be the new changes:

T2:
- oa_dm3
- bitzkrieg2
- am_lavaarena
- oa_rpg3dm1

T6:
- kaos2
- am_galmevish
- oa_koth2
- oa_dm1

I'll be uploading the new SP file today, with updated list and maps included, so it can to be tested.

i'm all for this overhaul of the singleplayer part. but what i would like to see is some kind of progression for the player.
experiencing new things one after another and not encounter it all on the first tier. for example i think it would be a good idea to place smaller maps in the first tiers and then keep them getting bigger and bigger (apart from the last tourney map in each tier that always should be small). in my opinion "sleekgrinder" is a far to large and difficult to navigate to belong in the first tiers.

i would also like to see maps with less weapons in the first tier. there are not many games in which the player get the entire arsenal of weapons in the first stage and then keep them through the entire game. having it all from the beginning will get the game boring - introducing new weapons and pickups at different stages keeps the game interesting and the player will be more motivated to proceed through the different tiers. the same applies to quad, speed, jumppads, teleporters, carried stuff like medikits and personal teleporters. in my opinion the railgun for example does not belong in the first tiers.

these are just my thoughts - but i really do think it would add to the experience for a new player.

and one more thing - tier 5 has three maps from quake 1 - this is bad distribution imo Cheesy

If someone can retexturize/make maps according to Tier styles, these can be replaced at all.

(I don't like that "just suck" thought, I think everything can be improved, look at Hydronex Cheesy)

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2009, 03:01:53 PM »

Well, new things.

I'm working on a map called underworks, a.k.a. "Under Working". If some map on T2 (my candidates to this part are my retexturization of boczeq's blitzkrieg2 and andrewj's retexturization of R.P.G.'s oa_rpg3dm1) can't manage to end in the game, then it will be used to cover a spot. I didn't emailed him ATM, I'll be doing it today. There are four cases then:

- Case 1: This should be the preferred case. Boczeq makes his map as GPLv2, seizing the texture faultings, for example. That way I can retexturize it, (GPLv2 allows to modify maps, and both maps can be in the game) it can fit in Tier 2. Also, if andrewj finish his work on oa_rpg3dm1, this will be the T2:
* oa_dm3
* blitzkrieg2
* am_lavaarena
* oa_rpg3dm1

- Case 2: Boczeq makes his map as GPLv2, but andrewj can't finish oa_rpg3dm1 at time. This will be the T2:
* oa_dm3
* blitzkrieg2
* am_underworks
* am_lavaarena

- Case 3: Boczeq don't make his map as GPLv2 (something I doubt) but andrewj finish his work on oa_rpg3dm1. This will be T2:
* oa_dm3
* am_underworks
* am_lavaarena
* oa_rpg3dm1

- Case 4: Boczeq don't make his map as GPLv2 and andrewj don't finish his work on oa_rpg3dm1. This will be the T2:
* oa_dm3
* am_underworks
* am_lavaarena
* ctf_gate1

I'll be linking the maps on the SP campaign to their respective posts, so you can actually test them and put suggestions about any particular map there. Remember before commenting that if you say "this map in X tier is bad for weapon placement" for example, every map here is placed by its theme. If someone (or map authors themselves) can retexturize those maps, then these can be moved to another location.

EDIT: Maps linked. Some links are to threads which have bug fixes suggestions for maps.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 08:59:12 PM by |TXC| Neon_Knight » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2009, 08:09:18 AM »

Since q3dm6ish is gone in 0.9.0 (¿atticed?) someone have to make a 1on1 map for the final round against the Final Boss. :/

pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2009, 09:14:47 AM »

i'm working in a 1vs1 duel map atm, but i don't know it it'll be done for release, as i don't know when the release will be Tongue

a beta version can be downloaded here if anyone is interested: http://www.anakronologerna.se/pulchr/pul1duel4.pk3

this version of the map is about halfway through with texturing, detail brushes, clipping etc. but it is playable

some textures might be missing since i'm currently working with the quake 3 arena textures - but the goal to replace all textures for 0.9.0 is fitting.
(also note that the blue texture i've used when building will not be in when the map is ready - it's unfortunate though that the texture pulsates in openarena - it does not in quake 3 arena. very irritating.)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2009, 09:30:24 AM »

Had a quick look at it. Great map, it reminds me of truly Q3 maps. I wish my maps were that way good. :/

Remember that this SP has conceptually-themed tiers. Try to make it as a "castle-themed" map if you want to put it as the final map on the SP.

Also, a boss model should be done for this final map. :/

The only announced next release is 0.9.0 at 9/9/2009...

pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2009, 01:18:24 PM »

thanks for checking it out neon knight

oh, so the next release is 09/09/09 - i should've known Wink

i won't use the castle style for this map, so i guess it's better used somewhere else.
if i'm satisfied with the map i might wanna do another one - making a duel map was a fun experience so far.

hmm, i just remembered that i've got another duel map for ut3 that could be transformed into a castle themed map. will have to look at that later.
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2009, 01:55:12 PM »

i'm working in a 1vs1 duel map atm, but i don't know it it'll be done for release, as i don't know when the release will be Tongue

a beta version can be downloaded here if anyone is interested: http://www.anakronologerna.se/pulchr/pul1duel4.pk3

this version of the map is about halfway through with texturing, detail brushes, clipping etc. but it is playable

some textures might be missing since i'm currently working with the quake 3 arena textures - but the goal to replace all textures for 0.9.0 is fitting.
(also note that the blue texture i've used when building will not be in when the map is ready - it's unfortunate though that the texture pulsates in openarena - it does not in quake 3 arena. very irritating.)

The texture pulsating is maybe a shader problem. The map is good, I think it's even a bit huge for 1v1. Oh and jackthompson has a pack containing dummy textures for OA using Q3 names. I tested with that and it showed no more problem then the above you mentioned.

BTT, Neon Knight, you've made some new maps since the last update here. Doesnt any of them fits into a tier?

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2009, 02:06:46 PM »

Most of the maps I've done were CTF ones.

Underworks can fill a hole left in t2. Same with LavaArena and Blitzkrieg2, if Lei accepts both three maps into the next version. That will make an oa_dm3-blitzkrieg2-lavaarena-underworks tier, unless andrewj finishes his retexturizing of oa_rpg3dm1, in that case it'll replace one of my maps in that tier, and be the final map of the tier.
I'm having doubts with wrackdm17, since it's very probable that it won't reach 0.9.0, as q3dm6ish. I thought on pvomit to replace it, but there's already shine. Also thought on void4, but I don't like so much that map. Maybe a mix with Suction and other thingies to this map can work?

And I have to wait until cosmo finishes oa_koth2 to put it instead of oasago2.

pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2009, 02:08:26 PM »

there are several shaders in q3a using that texture - at least one pulsates. my guess is that the wrong shader pulsates. this could be checked rather easily in gtkradiant.

please do not include void4, seriously Cheesy
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2009, 02:12:15 PM »

Well... there should be another space map which replaces wrackdm17... :/
pvomit is nice, but there's actually a big space map (shine) there. :/
Any ideas?

pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2009, 02:39:10 PM »

i really liked the new one that stjärtmunnen did, is it planned for the single player campaign?
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2009, 03:33:08 PM »

Also thought on void4, but I don't like so much that map. Maybe a mix with Suction and other thingies to this map can work?

I can't map but I think the last Void update is fine. Maybe if somebody puts a Suction-base into the central thingie and put some diagonal jumppads, it would be fine for a Space King of the Hill.

pulchr, that map is seriously too big. Not bad, but huge.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: