Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 125 FPS... jumpers does not push you the same  (Read 11140 times)
feLiZ_naVidAD
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« on: April 13, 2009, 10:06:12 AM »

I am having some problems with jumpers... it seems to go further when you use COM_MAXFPS = 125

At the beginning i thought it was my fault... i put them a little further and then i noticed that other ppl couldnt reach...

Its a problem because i adjust them exactly how they should work without pressing any key, but if you have fps= 125 you jump too much and fall and if you have fps =85 you jump too little and u fall

Any idea or any solution in how to work around this? :S

Whatever i say in this post is true unless fromhell said otherway. In that case I disagree with what I just wrote. I meant to write what fromhell said.
-------
I also would like to add that im not a chick. I use this model coz i like the thong of the sorceress when i die (witch rarely happens) Smiley
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 10:42:59 AM »

Don't make the place players have to jump to a tightrope if it's not going to be a secret.

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
vindimy
Bigger member

Cakes 15

lolwut?

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 11:27:57 AM »

yes, fps definitely matters with jumps. on my laptop i couldn't make it from jumppad directly to flag in oa_ctf2, but with my gaming rig and better fps i always can.

however, if you do even the slightest amount of assistance with a rocket, you'll go much further anyway... rocketjumps + jumppads are fun Smiley

JESUS SCOUSE
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 12:36:21 PM »

125 FPS wow. I;m still on 30 FPS.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 10:41:40 PM »

pft, 125fps is nothing these days, a standard machine from 2008 can hit the 1000fps pretty easily at max settings

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
feLiZ_naVidAD
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 06:55:59 AM »

Don't make the place players have to jump to a tightrope if it's not going to be a secret.

I dont make them jump on a rope but i do have jumpers crossing witch each others.... and i have weapons suspended (like RL in ctf4ish) and for example i have a jumper that can be taken from above (where you usually jump in the middle-last part of the jumper) or directly from under where you take the 1st part of the jumper...

all of this makes it hard to predict for jumps, but if you add the fps thing... and its even worse Smiley i guess ill have to do even bigger platforms and aim to the middle... or sumthing... ill figure it out somehow if there is no other way around... i remember to be hard to get the RL in ctf4ish in some of the versions

125 FPS wow. I;m still on 30 FPS.

i sometimes doesnt get that much FPS (cg_drawfps 1) but if you change com_maxfps 1 it works... dont know why. Also you jump some borders that you can't with other value different from 125. I tried set it to 130 and it doesn't work either... dont really know the reasons

And that makes me wonder how tall is this magic heigh you can only jump with com_maxfps=125?

Whatever i say in this post is true unless fromhell said otherway. In that case I disagree with what I just wrote. I meant to write what fromhell said.
-------
I also would like to add that im not a chick. I use this model coz i like the thong of the sorceress when i die (witch rarely happens) Smiley
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 08:30:48 AM »

You may have an eye at this topic : http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=2695.msg21923#msg21923

I'd suggest to try both 125 and 90 while designing maps Wink

Some servers have pmoved_fixed, so even with low fps they may go further the platform and fall if they don't slow down.

Todo: Walk the cat.
kick52

Cakes -1

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 12:55:44 PM »

This problem is incredibly lame, especially on maps where lower-spec players are at a disadvantage (eg ps37ctf, the ledges on the "bridge")
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 02:41:19 PM »

try not to make ledges that have a height that requires a certain steady fps to climb. in return to castle wolfenstein the crates in most of the levels could only be jumped on top of with 125 fps. i had a weak graphics card back then and had to cripple the graphics to go where everyone else went. not fun.

on maps like mp_assault i had to look down into the ground to be able to jump up on boxes... ahh the memories...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: