Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Banning system.  (Read 9383 times)
Darkal
Nub

Cakes 6

« on: April 09, 2010, 04:09:17 AM »

Some US players say that OpenArena is dying.. But in Europe I see new players every weeks..
I absolutely belive in OpenArena, that's why I think if more & more people will come, more & more servers will be open, I think that a permanent ban system is usefull.

There is already some annoying people (aimbots or flooders) who absolutely remove fun of other players, this lammers are connecting on all famous servers... I think admin servers need a place (forum or whatever) or a system who gives access to all lammers IP & nicknames to make an effective general ban.

Is it possible ?

| supeR,Penguin
| supeR,Bots website here !
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 06:13:08 AM »

It was already discussed here: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=2028.0

Search > Ban, for other topics.

There are so many reasons for not implementing such a system. Even an individual ban is something which has to be taken cautiously and which has flaws. Admins don't remove bans and leave them permanent and that's already a problem IMO.

Police partout justice nulle part.

Edit: I read you a bit quick, you talk about a simple list, I was referring to a more complex technical system, however it's rather the same.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Darkal
Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 07:30:22 AM »

Search > Ban, for other topics.

You can guess that I done that before posting ! I found only other stuff..

Police partout justice nulle part.

Yes, in France :-P But in OpenArena, there is no police, and every lammers can piss off community everydays without any problem.

Finaly I think I will do this private list myself with all admins who want to participate...

| supeR,Penguin
| supeR,Bots website here !
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 08:56:31 AM »

There has been 2 improvements to help with that that:
- admin system
- callvote is easier
I would have thought it was enough, but since admins are reluctant to upgrade they can't take the benefit from it...

Of course, you can do such a list, and admins could participate, I think I wouldn't. I wouldn't like to ban unknown people, and I wouldn't like to encourage perma-ban.
It's not police but it's similar, it's suppression (didn't know the translation for "répression" until now). I'd prefer if admins were going towards the other direction.

Todo: Walk the cat.
Bane

Cakes 5

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 01:39:04 PM »

I am a US  player I began to think I was the only one. Anyway just make sure that if you start to ban people you think are aimbotting or cheating you are sure of it because I was once accused of aimbot and I was not.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 07:05:52 PM »

I'd probably participate, but i'd want an explaination next to each ban with what the player did to deserve the ban.
I wanted to look into creating some program handling tempbans automaticly, but it'd be windows only and even our own server runs linux so i guess someone else has to. The only thing possible would be some php, but you'd still need to download the file manually.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 10:34:39 AM »

I'd probably participate, but i'd want an explaination next to each ban with what the player did to deserve the ban.
I wanted to look into creating some program handling tempbans automaticly, but it'd be windows only and even our own server runs linux so i guess someone else has to. The only thing possible would be some php, but you'd still need to download the file manually.

OA085 has already an improved administration system and a permaban system : the question should be if it is useful to mantain a ban list to be shared between all the OA servers , something like UrT UAA Ban List.

If you are thinking to an automate system with tempbans , it already exists : http://sourceforge.net/projects/bigbrotherbot/

It's written in python but it requires a regular DB ( eg MySQL ) to work , which increases servers complexity and costs.

What we should need is a cheats ( aimbot and "bot to aim" ) detect system and I mean an active system included in the game because passive systems like PB or VM ID codes or screenshots' sending are easy to be bypassed.

Something like " a shot is always made by a key press and preceded by a true MOUSE movement " should be effective to neutralize many cheats.
HelloKitty!
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 10:53:02 AM »

^^ This would also ban you if you used strafe keys for aiming, like people often do with long-distance shots with the railgun. Then there is no mouse movement involved.

There is no easy way to detect cheats, and certainly no perfect way.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: